Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:13 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Yesterday driving on Falls of Neuse a truck drove past with 2 flags - the usual U.S. flag and my 10 year old said "hey Why's he got a confederate flag??" I thought back to this thread. :-). Since we've only lived here for 8 months from UK I was surprised he knew what a confederate flag looks like (I dont) but he also wanted to know if it meant "the guy wants to have a divided USA with north and South again) I didn't know the answer. What does it mean to fly the confederate flag these days??
It can mean a lot of things...there is no blanket reason. You'd have to ask the person flying the flag. He could be a member of the KKK or some other hate group, he could be the descendant of a confederate soldier honoring of his forefather, he could just think it looks cool, he could think it makes him a "rebel", he could just want to get attention...who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
angelkitten, I'll take a stab at that. I may regret it, but here goes. I imagine it means different things to different people to fly a confederate flag or at least the most recognizable stars-n-bars, but at minimum I would guess that the person flying the confederate flag is proud of their Southern heritage and not concerned with who they may offend by flying it.

It's basically like flying a Union Jack flag would be here — just means you like the UK, right? Not that you think the US should go back to being a colony of Great Britain. If you fly the Union Jack perhaps you have some ties to it (as you do) or maybe you're just an anglophile American and really love all things UK.

So when a person flies the Stars and Bars it's similar to flying any other flag from a region you like, with the Stars and Bars representing the South as a region, BUT (and this is a big but) it's now seen by many as very, very racist, so whoever is flying it doesn't care if anybody else sees it as racist or who they offend.

It still flies over the statehouse in SOUTH Carolina, though.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
angelkitten, I'll take a stab at that. I may regret it, but here goes. I imagine it means different things to different people to fly a confederate flag or at least the most recognizable stars-n-bars, but at minimum I would guess that the person flying the confederate flag is proud of their Southern heritage and not concerned with who they may offend by flying it.
Again, as I posted upthread, the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, or the "Confederate Flag" is NOT the stars and bars. The stars and bars is the nickname of the fFirst National Flag of the CSA, which looks a lot like the NC state flag.

Quote:
So when a person flies the Stars and Bars it's similar to flying any other flag from a region you like, with the Stars and Bars representing the South as a region, BUT (and this is a big but) it's now seen by many as very, very racist, so whoever is flying it doesn't care if anybody else sees it as racist or who they offend.
Yes, unfortunately the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia has been co-opted by a variety of hate groups. Please don't mistake everyone flying the flag as a member of a hate group.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Again, as I posted upthread, the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, or the "Confederate Flag" is NOT the stars and bars. The stars and bars is the nickname of the fFirst National Flag of the CSA, which looks a lot like the NC state flag.
ACTUALLY, if you're going to get technical about it, the most common rectangular confederate flag you see flying is the Tennessee battle flag not the Virginia flag which is square, not rectangular.

Flags of the Confederacy | Museum of the Confederacy

Old 03-18-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
ACTUALLY, if you're going to get technical about it, the most common rectangular confederate flag you see flying is the Tennessee battle flag not the Virginia flag which is square, not rectangular.

Flags of the Confederacy | Museum of the Confederacy
So sorry I hurt your feelings.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:15 PM

You didn't hurt my feelings, but your information was wrong. If you're gonna correct people on using the common nickname then you oughta get the facts straight.

And to answer JayJay's question, no I don't see it often in Chapel Hill, but I used to see it more decades ago. I do still see it out in the country and occasionally pass trucks decked out in confederate finery.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
You didn't hurt my feelings, but your information was wrong. If you're gonna correct people on using the common nickname then you oughta get the facts straight.
For someone who didn't know what the stars and bars was this morning, you've become quite the expert!

Old 03-18-2015, 03:39 PM

The "Stars and Bars" may not be "correct" but it IS a common nickname for this

Rebel Flag Stars & Bars Beach Towel 60" X 30" Dixie

My favorite Civil War flag is this one:

North Carolina Civil War Sesquicentennial

Old 03-18-2015, 03:57 PM

[quote=poppydog;38867424]The "Stars and Bars" may not be "correct" but it IS a common nickname for this [quote]

Thats right, its not correct, regardless of were you might find it used. Just stop.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 03-18-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 04:01 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
In general, I feel that it represents Southern solidarity and adherence to tradition to most of the people who fly it prominently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary