Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:45 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times

Advertisements

At minimum, this is what the flag means when someone displays it:

"I don't care if anyone perceives me as racist."

"History buffs" can squawk all they want, but if they cared one iota about what the flag means to most people, they would not display it.

The reality is they simply do not care.

I rarely see them in the Triangle. During seven trips to Florence, SC., last year, I can't recall seeing any. I do remember going to Myrtle Beach years ago, and I saw them everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 06:53 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,385,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
It's very rare to see confederate flags in the Triangle. Generally that's the signal that you've left the Triangle. I see it on cars parked every once in a while.

Also the NC flag doesn't take after the official Confederate flag. It's basically the same as Texas's flag but with NC slapped on it. GA's does though. GA, MS, VA, and FL all used to have the stars and bars. Now only Mississippi still has it, but the others still hearken back in more subtle ways.
The Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia (aka the "Confederate Flag") is not the "Stars and Bars". The Stars and Bars is the the First National Flag of the Confederacy, which is, in fact, very similar to the NC state flag.

BTW, the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia was never officially adopted by the government of the CSA.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:55 AM

386 posts, read 606,167 times
It honestly doesn't bother me and I don't go out of my way to comment or care if someone owns one (most likely I'm not friends with them or anything anyways so why bother?). History is on the other side and those who own the flag probably don't care either so why bother?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:48 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Being from the south, I see the Confederate Flag (that is what we've always called it) from time to time.

I think of it as being more of a redneck southern thing! I have never perceived it as being racist. What am I missing?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Being from the south, I see the Confederate Flag (that is what we've always called it) from time to time.

I think of it as being more of a redneck southern thing! I have never perceived it as being racist. What am I missing?
The design of the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia was co-opted by various hate groups, including the KKK and used as a symbol of their racist beliefs.

You seriously aren't aware of this?

Old 05-07-2015, 11:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
The design of the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia was co-opted by various hate groups, including the KKK and used as a symbol of their racist beliefs.
It was also adopted and/or officially displayed by several southern states beginning in the late 1950s and early 1960s in response to integration movements.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:07 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

I'm aware that racists use it, but it is sad that there is no "regional pride" symbol that is not associated with a Hate group, or leads people to roll their eyes and claim that you are "still fighting the Civil War". The usage as a symbol of racism/hatred seems to be more within the past 20 years or so; when I was a child, I even remember seeing African-Americans wearing Confederate Flags on their jean jackets, and not thinking anything of it, because it just meant "I'm a Southerner", not "I'm a Southerner circa 1860."

Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm aware that racists use it, but it is sad that there is no "regional pride" symbol that is not associated with a Hate group, or leads people to roll their eyes and claim that you are "still fighting the Civil War". The usage as a symbol of racism/hatred seems to be more within the past 20 years or so; when I was a child, I even remember seeing African-Americans wearing Confederate Flags on their jean jackets, and not thinking anything of it, because it just meant "I'm a Southerner", not "I'm a Southerner circa 1860."
I use the First National Flag of the Confederacy for that purpose, and I fly it on the front porch of my house often. Hopefully others will do so as well.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:35 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,429,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post

You seriously aren't aware of this?
What about the racist beliefs of the government that army fought for?

Old 05-07-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
What about the racist beliefs of the government that army fought for?
Lets do this...see if you can identify the historical figure who said the following (and no cheating with Google):

"As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man."

"I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I...am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary