Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 AM

403 posts, read 930,037 times

Advertisements

I agree with the recs for Third Place (Raleigh) and Driade (Chapel Hill). Padgett Station in Carrboro is a great place. Also recommend Pheasant Creek off of 55 in Apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,086 times
I second the Broad Street Cafe and Open Eye Cafe nods.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:25 AM

38 posts, read 123,867 times
I'd add the Bean & Barrell across from Governor's Club in North Chatham county, and the Caribou Coffee at the corner of Estes and Franklin Streets in Chapel Hill. And a second vote for the Open Eye in Carrboro -- a great place!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
Three Cups in Chapel Hill. (west village courtyard, just off Franklin St) They really want their customers lingering--they don't have an espresso machine, and they don't really like offering coffee to go. Their focus is on perfectly prepared french press coffees--you choose the bean and they grind to order. No comfy armchairs, but a comfortable room with eclectic artwork and brick walls. And good (expensive) sandwiches next door at Sandwhich. and a Locopops, too. I don't think they're open on Sunday, but you could spend a nice Saturday morning/afternoon here.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 AM

836 posts, read 3,470,171 times
Me, I like the places where, if you go often enough, you will see many of the same people and become a "regular" yourself. I also like really good coffee. I live downtown, so the places where I go to are Third Place...great owners, great place, the crowd changes with the time of day..that is it is a real mix of young and old, kids, professionals, artists, etc. most of the day, then something of a younger crowd at night. There food is great, which is a bonus. My favorites are the bean burger and the cheese and tomato...plus any soup. Lilly's Pizza is right next door, so during lunch and at night it can be quite a scene sitting outside.

My regular stop these days is Cup a Joe on Hillsborough, although I know some people who are regulars at the Mission Valley location. Lots of NCSU profs at the HB location in the morning with their regular table. Pretty steady crowd all day. I don't smoke, so I avoid the smoking room (what is it with the clove cigarettes anyway? I thought they made your lungs bleed or something. Yes, the crowd can be "different" here, but there are also a lot of "regular" people like me...I even take my kids there for killer hot chocolate on cold days. To me, the have the best coffee around, but the only downside is their food is really so-so, what there is of it. I stay safe with a bagel there.

I also like Helio's and love their middle eastern food. Always a crowd. My only complaint there is that there are often so many people there "working" on their laptops that there are no tables left for you to sit down and eat/drink. Plus, sometimes there are so many people sitting alone with computers and headphones that if you go in there and want to have a conversation or, god forbid, take your kids in there, everyone looks at you like you have disturbed their work area.

But on a nice day, Helios is a great place to sit outside, plus they open up the big doors and the outside comes inside.

I also like Crema on Fayetteville STreet downtown, not so much for the crowd, but the coffee. I think they have some of the best coffee in town.

And I will throw out one more place. Heraghty's Heavenly Delicious in the Glenwood Village S.C. on Glenwood just inside the Beltline. It is a French pastissiere. They have wonderful coffee, incredible French pastry, great paninis, etc. and soup for lunch. Has a busy crowd in the mornings, with a very real estate oriented crowd, oddly, but great staff. It is nice to sit outside here too. Plus, you can grab an beautiful dessert or cake to take home!

Old 01-26-2008, 11:31 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
I agree with the recs for Third Place (Raleigh) and Driade (Chapel Hill). Padgett Station in Carrboro is a great place. Also recommend Pheasant Creek off of 55 in Apex.
Padgett Station has a new owner but I understand they aren't planning on making many changes.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:42 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,235 times
New World Coffee House (Glenwood & Pleasant Valley) is my favorite and they have some of the best homemade sandwiches and soups..great feel and comfy place to hang out...

New World Coffee House, coffee shop Raleigh, coffee house Raleigh, coffee shop in Raleigh, NC, coffee house in Raleigh, Raleigh coffee shop, Raleigh coffee house, Raleigh, NC coffee shop, Raleigh, NC coffee house. Coffee house in raleigh, coffee shop

Old 01-26-2008, 02:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
New World Coffee House (Glenwood & Pleasant Valley) is my favorite and they have some of the best homemade sandwiches and soups..great feel and comfy place to hang out...

New World Coffee House, coffee shop Raleigh, coffee house Raleigh, coffee shop in Raleigh, NC, coffee house in Raleigh, Raleigh coffee shop, Raleigh coffee house, Raleigh, NC coffee shop, Raleigh, NC coffee house. Coffee house in raleigh, coffee shop

Good call! I forgot about that little place. I use to go there a lot when we lived in an apartment by Lake Lynn. They do have some great food there.

Great recommendation!

~NRG

Old 01-26-2008, 05:31 PM

60 posts, read 185,362 times
Well I hang out at Starbucks on Peace St near Glenwood South. Nice chairs and the staff are super nice; always friendly and I see the same customer on a daily basis. I try to avoid around noon though. Always business meetings going on so there is no one to talk to other than the staff.
Fridays and Saturday they have live bands if you just want to hang out and listen to some good ole music while you have your coffee.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,286 times
Great thread! Thanks for making it and the contrbutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary