Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 PM

378 posts, read 419,400 times

Advertisements

Nice. I would love to see something like this happen for Highway 11 and US 264 towards Wasington and even US 17 that goes from Washington all the way to New Bern!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 08:25 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,410,337 times
440 widening.... stupidest way to spend half a billion dollars. Seriously? Road will be back to max capacity right after it finished? Tf

Don't take university land and turn it into roads around Raleigh | News & Observer

Old 11-28-2017, 05:09 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
I've just been told that the Davis Mill Road interchange on US-70 near Pine Level is open. Another thing I've heard is that some of the ramps at that interchange, as well as the nearby recently opened US-70 Business interchange are tight and have 15mph signs posted on them.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:39 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
440 widening.... stupidest way to spend half a billion dollars. Seriously? Road will be back to max capacity right after it finished? Tf

Don't take university land and turn it into roads around Raleigh | News & Observer
I’ll agree that you can’t completely pave your way out of congestion, but on the other hand, roads need to be of a certain standard and that area needs widening. It was designed a long time ago (50 plus years) and several of the interchanges and ramps are not close to modern standards and dangerous, especially the Western Blvd one. Now, it does seem like the DOT has presented some pie in the sky crap to start off (which honestly seems like a trend lately) so I assume it will be scaled back to something more manageable.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:51 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
I agree with Sherifftruman.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:46 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I've just been told that the Davis Mill Road interchange on US-70 near Pine Level is open. Another thing I've heard is that some of the ramps at that interchange, as well as the nearby recently opened US-70 Business interchange are tight and have 15mph signs posted on them.
Yeah, when I was looking at the pictures from the articles and websites, it looked like those cloverleaf and regular exit/entrance ramps were very "tight". Having driven all throughout the US, I guess I've seen similar on plenty of interstates, but decelerating from 65 or 70mph down to 15mph, especially with short exit ramps, isn't the greatest design. I guess they were limited or constrained with the design or ROW.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:22 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I’ll agree that you can’t completely pave your way out of congestion, but on the other hand, roads need to be of a certain standard and that area needs widening. It was designed a long time ago (50 plus years) and several of the interchanges and ramps are not close to modern standards and dangerous, especially the Western Blvd one. Now, it does seem like the DOT has presented some pie in the sky crap to start off (which honestly seems like a trend lately) so I assume it will be scaled back to something more manageable.
As long as we're also putting money into transit (which we're doing with the recently approved Wake County Transit Plan), I'm completely fine with putting money into roads until we have that system built up as well. It's certainly possible to fund both. I agree, the interchanges/ramps on that stretch of 440 certainly need to be redone.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:34 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, when I was looking at the pictures from the articles and websites, it looked like those cloverleaf and regular exit/entrance ramps were very "tight". Having driven all throughout the US, I guess I've seen similar on plenty of interstates, but decelerating from 65 or 70mph down to 15mph, especially with short exit ramps, isn't the greatest design. I guess they were limited or constrained with the design or ROW.
I would hope that's the reason. Otherwise, it would be a boneheaded move on NCDOT's part.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
The US 1 bypass was proposed as far back as 1954 (http://www.ncmodernist.org/Ruth%20Li...0to%201965.pdf). The Western Blvd interchange was on the edge of civilization. At the time Raleigh's population was 75,000 and Cary's about 2,000. I'm not surprised that US 1 was designed at Western Blvd with slow, tight ramps. No one imagined the traffic it would carry 60+ years later.

Note that the US 1-70 interchange at Crabtree required improvements in the 1980s. Otherwise it would have some of the same characteristics.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:04 AM

378 posts, read 419,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Is that even up to interstate standards?? Because I thought it would be a folded diamond like the one in Greenville US 264 Northern Bypass with Highway 11

I don't see that interchange being up to interstate standards. It might remain US 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary