Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:49 AM

725 posts, read 1,501,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
I'm surprised the tueller drill hasn't been mentioned in this discussion. A knife wielding attacker can cover approximately 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. If you're defending yourself or another person from this attacker, you had better 1) be resolute in your action 2) act quickly 3) don't miss. I honestly question the ability of the average pistol owner to make a lethal shot on an advancing attacker with a head full of adrenaline.

Video of the 21-foot rule
Not sure Tueller is relevant in this case, the attacker was busy with the victim and could have been approached and shot. He gave up when the police came (with guns).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 AM

190 posts, read 200,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
So would a bullet. In a situation like this I'd hate to step up through options until finding the one that works. Both the victim and the helper are in jeopardy when you have a crazed person with a weapon.
Depend where the bullet endep up. Shooting a moving target is not like your typical shooting training. As far as I as know, I do not remember reading or seeing a real shooting scene by trained police officers ending with only one bullet shooted.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrb1 View Post
Depend where the bullet endep up. Shooting a moving target is not like your typical shooting training.
Not relevant here, he wasn't a moving target he was standing on her ("I'm watching, yes ... he's stepping on her throat, he's trying to kill her. He's slicing her head, he's beating her up." and "The prosecutor also said that when police officers arrived at the scene, they observed Mehta standing over Kumari and "saw him swing the machete and strike the victim in the neck.").

Similar to the discussion above about Tueller, he wasn't approaching (or running at) a person with his knife he was already engaged. If someone there had a gun there was an opportunity in this case to approach, you were not trying to fire at a moving target coming at you. This says it all - "Mehta dropped the machete when officers confronted him." (with guns).

Old 01-19-2017, 11:31 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
Quote:
Depend where the bullet endep up. Shooting a moving target is not like your typical shooting training. As far as I as know, I do not remember reading or seeing a real shooting scene by trained police officers ending with only one bullet shooted.

Agreed. Pulled this info from a quick google search:

According to a 2008 RAND Corporation study evaluating the New York Police Department’s firearm training, between 1998 and 2006, the average hit rate during gunfights was just 18 percent. When suspects did not return fire, police officers hit their targets 30 percent of the time.

Moving targets even with a shotgun are difficult. Check with the many grouse that I have missed
Having said that, I'd rather approach the situation with a gun versus spray or a stun gun. Why wouldn't you want to one-up the weapon in use by the bad guy?

Old 01-19-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Not relevant here, he wasn't a moving target he was standing on her ("I'm watching, yes ... he's stepping on her throat, he's trying to kill her. He's slicing her head, he's beating her up." and "The prosecutor also said that when police officers arrived at the scene, they observed Mehta standing over Kumari and "saw him swing the machete and strike the victim in the neck.").

Similar to the discussion above about Tueller, he wasn't approaching (or running at) a person with his knife he was already engaged. If someone there had a gun there was an opportunity in this case to approach, you were not trying to fire at a moving target coming at you. This says it all - "Mehta dropped the machete when officers confronted him." (with guns).
That is worst, how can you shoot him and only him in this situation. Hope your bullet is a special intelligent bullet which enters the guy body and stops before entering the girl body.

Men you have to be a real good shooter with your pistol.

But thanks for correcting me and adding support to the argument that shooting in this case is not easy.

By the way, the cops did not shoot, they asked him to stop. According to the report, the victim was in a clear and flagrant life threatening situation, they should have shoot first and ask question after. Or maybe, even trained police officers considering all the facts ended up thinking that the best option to save the girl was to ask question first and shoot after.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
That is worst, how can you shoot him and only him in this situation. Hope your bullet is a special intelligent bullet which enters the guy body and stops before entering the girl body.

Men you have to be a real good shooter with your pistol.

But thanks for correcting me and adding support to the argument that shooting in this case is not easy.

By the way, the cops did not shoot, they asked him to stop. According to the report, the victim was in a clear and flagrant life threatening situation, they should have shoot first and ask question after. Or maybe, even trained police officers considering all the facts ended up thinking that the best option to save the girl was to ask question first and shoot after.
Not sure if a picture would help here but she was lying down __ he was standing up I

__I <bullet ...

But you're agreeing with my main argument, in this case just the appearance of a gun was enough to get him to stop. One neighbor that had a gun instead of a 2x4 could have ended this earlier.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Mugshot record shows he is 5'4" 120 lbs.
That's it?

Crazy, protective "single me" would take my chances with a guy half my size. However, less crazy, still protective "married-with-kids me" would at least bring a tire iron.

Dude had to have been a coward anyway.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
And just so you know, it exists. It's called a hollow point and is quite common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow-point_bullet

Hollow points are designed to increase in diameter once within the target, thus maximizing tissue damage and blood loss or shock, and to remain inside the target, thereby transferring all of the kinetic energy to the target (whereas some fraction would remain in the bullet if it passed through instead). Both of these goals are meant to maximize stopping power. Jacketed hollow points (JHPs) or plated hollow points are covered in a coating of harder metal (usually a copper alloy or copper coated steel) to increase bullet strength and to prevent fouling the barrel with lead stripped from the bullet. The term hollow-cavity bullet is used to describe a hollow point where the hollow is unusually large, sometimes dominating the volume of the bullet, and causes extreme expansion or fragmentation on impact.[

Old 01-19-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Not sure if a picture would help here but she was lying down __ he was standing up I

__I <bullet ...

But you're agreeing with my main argument, in this case just the appearance of a gun was enough to get him to stop. One neighbor that had a gun instead of a 2x4 could have ended this earlier.
I see your point, still hard to pull off even if easier than I thought.

You do not have the same psychological impact as a by stander pulling a gun vs police officers pulling guns, but you can try. I will personally stop at pulling gun, shooting is still the same random outcome. What happens if you kill both. The family of the girl can sue you and I do not see what will be your defense: "I tried to save her".

Old 01-19-2017, 01:30 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No, no, no - there's no need for your silly calculations. There can also be no accommodation made for adrenaline and fear....everyone with a CCW will be a perfect calm shooter no matter the situation. It will always be "too bad" they weren't there when "whatever" happened.
No no no, no need for silly ideas that anyone who carries a gun is like Elmer Fudd and couldn't handle a firearm. Hopefully you are never in a situation that warrants your protection from someone with a ccw. Whats the average police response time?

The guy was on top of this girl slashing. Neighbor could have come over and told him to stop or he would shoot. If he didn't comply then you know what. Each situation is different and a gun wont solve all of them. However it would have helped here if the facts reported are indeed correct.

What you can take away from this is your safety is not guaranteed, including in Cary or Apex, or anywhere really. If you dont want to carry a gun then that's your choice. Please don't bash ccw owners for wanting to carry or wish stories like this ended differently. The story I posted earlier from CNN could have ended very differently if a ccw holder didn't show up. The funny part is I haven't seen anyone comment on it though.... Seems rather odd Facts are tough to argue with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary