Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:58 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
No no no, no need for silly ideas that anyone who carries a gun is like Elmer Fudd and couldn't handle a firearm. Hopefully you are never in a situation that warrants your protection from someone with a ccw. Whats the average police response time?

The guy was on top of this girl slashing. Neighbor could have come over and told him to stop or he would shoot. If he didn't comply then you know what. Each situation is different and a gun wont solve all of them. However it would have helped here if the facts reported are indeed correct.

What you can take away from this is your safety is not guaranteed, including in Cary or Apex, or anywhere really. If you dont want to carry a gun then that's your choice. Please don't bash ccw owners for wanting to carry or wish stories like this ended differently. The story I posted earlier from CNN could have ended very differently if a ccw holder didn't show up. The funny part is I haven't seen anyone comment on it though.... Seems rather odd Facts are tough to argue with.
This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I don't begrudge anyone from living their lives as they see fit and not wanting to own a firearm, but I would also expect others to respect my right to own firearms and carry concealed. I do have military and police training and I'll be damned if I would let something like that happen in front of me and do nothing, even if I had only my bare hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 07:01 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Who's begrudging firearm owners here?

In fact the opposite occurred -- much blaming of neighbors who 'should have had guns to run out and stop this attack.' I guess people should have been psychic too because this random event occurred around 3pm, on a school day, when a lot of people are at work.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Who's begrudging firearm owners here?

In fact the opposite occurred -- much blaming of neighbors who 'should have had guns to run out and stop this attack.' I guess people should have been psychic too because this random event occurred around 3pm, on a school day, when a lot of people are at work.
I never said anyone here was begrudging firearm owners. I just said that I don't begrudge others for choosing not to own one and I hope people can respect my decision TO own one.

Sure this attack was not expected in this setting, but the fact that it went on for "several minutes" according to eye witnesses and NO ONE on that entire block had a firearm in their house or any kind of training to use one is kind of shocking to me.

Like I said, to each their own, but NO WAY do I witness that happening and not intervene in some way. I understand that during the time of day it happened there were most likely retires and or caregivers with their children home. Those two subsets of people would be the least likely to intervene or even have the training, mentality, and/or physical strength to do so. I'm not faulting them, but rather just saying I personally would not have allowed that to go on for that length of time, without taking the guy out.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I never said anyone here was begrudging firearm owners. I just said that I don't begrudge others for choosing not to own one and I hope people can respect my decision TO own one.

Sure this attack was not expected in this setting, but the fact that it went on for "several minutes" according to eye witnesses and NO ONE on that entire block had a firearm in their house or any kind of training to use one is kind of shocking to me.

Like I said, to each their own, but NO WAY do I witness that happening and not intervene in some way. I understand that during the time of day it happened there were most likely retires and or caregivers with their children home. Those two subsets of people would be the least likely to intervene or even have the training, mentality, and/or physical strength to do so. I'm not faulting them, but rather just saying I personally would not have allowed that to go on for that length of time, without taking the guy out.
"taking the guy out"

Oh my.

Even trained LEOs don't do so well when there are people that close together. This guy wasn't standing at a distance from her. He was on top of her and she was flailing around with her hands and he wasn't sitting still.

How could you have avoided killing or harming her by accident?

I think we have no idea what would have happened if someone who was not a LEO showed up with a gun. Maybe before he ever got to her, but who knew he'd be yanking a machete out of his trenchcoat?

This is a very sad situation, but wrong to imply that it could have definitely been stopped by someone with a gun.

It might have been easier to stop with a high-powered garden hose, frankly.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
"taking the guy out"

Oh my.

Even trained LEOs don't do so well when there are people that close together. This guy wasn't standing at a distance from her. He was on top of her and she was flailing around with her hands and he wasn't sitting still.

I think we have no idea what would have happened if someone who was not a LEO showed up with a gun. Maybe before he ever got to her, but who knew he'd be yanking a machete out of his trenchcoat?

This is a very sad situation, but wrong to imply that it could have definitely been stopped by someone with a gun.

Yes, "taking the guy out". He was hacking a person to death in the middle of a neighborhood. Should I have said it in a nicer way?

We could obviously go back and forth about this forever, but let me ask you a question. If that were your daughter out there, would you rather someone try and "take the guy out" immediately (firearm, sword, axe, bat, etc.), or wait 5+ minutes for law enforcement to show up?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I know what my answer would be.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:30 PM

BTW, the situation was stopped with a gun. No shots even had to be fired. I wonder what he would have done if police showed up with garden hoses?

I'm not saying any armed yahoo needs to go shooting up the neighborhood. I'm referring to someone who had some training and sense to stop the threat. Obviously he picked a good time of day to attack the poor young woman.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:18 AM

3 posts, read 2,207 times
It's obvious to me that more should have been done before it even came to an attack. The girl had been harassed for WEEKS by this guy prior to the attack and her family even moved her to a different high school (in addition to seeking a restraining order against him). These desperate actions show us how dire the situation was to this family and I find it frustrating that law enforcement/schools were not able to react in a more succinct manner.
I am not at all blaming the very entities that exist to keep the girl safe though. I put myself in their shoes and wonder what I personally could have done to protect her. It seems that once again, we need laws on the books that not only keep up with the ways threats are now communicated, but also to allow officials the latitude needed to act swiftly in cases like these.
My thoughts and prayers are with that little girl and her family.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
"taking the guy out"

Oh my.

Anyone who reads about an attack, whether it's on a suburban street in the middle of the day or a dark, loud movie theatre in the middle of the night, would've taken the guy out. Don't you know anything?

Old 01-22-2017, 07:18 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoadrienne28 View Post
It's obvious to me that more should have been done before it even came to an attack. The girl had been harassed for WEEKS by this guy prior to the attack and her family even moved her to a different high school (in addition to seeking a restraining order against him). These desperate actions show us how dire the situation was to this family and I find it frustrating that law enforcement/schools were not able to react in a more succinct manner.
I agree with this - it never should have gotten to this point. When you have to move your kid to a different HS and that doesn't work, you need to get law enforcement involved.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:30 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Anyone who reads about an attack, whether it's on a suburban street in the middle of the day or a dark, loud movie theatre in the middle of the night, would've taken the guy out. Don't you know anything?

You guys are assuming that someone is walking up firing shots. Some of us are assuming that the person helping will approach at an angle and distance benefiting a clear shot. Tactical advantage. He's clearly trying to kill the girl. 911 takes minutes to respond. Still a no brainer to me. Yell for him to stop when you have the shot. If he stops..all good. If not...well, you save the girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary