Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 06:30 AM

141 posts, read 141,193 times

Advertisements

People here seem to prefer local goods and items when they spending big bucks. That is totally cool with me since we have enough big box awfulness as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 06:43 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartData View Post
There is very little high end shopping and dining. It seems to contradict the reputed strong local economy and population growth. Saks is here but it's scaled down and strangely misplaced in a bad area. Other than that there is nothing on that level except maybe in home furnishings; Arhaus and Ethan Allen.

I did see a discussion on this but it's about 7 years old and nothing much has changed.
When I think about the lap of luxury, Ethan Allen is not the first place that comes to mind.

I think we are like most other up and coming areas, we have some luxury, some history, some "general stuff" and some crap. We are not NYC, Chicago, SF, etc....

That said, if you are into the Mall-scene, I think Crabtree has some nicer shops (Coach, etc, last time I was there, which was many years ago)

We have 5-star hotels (and Chinese food)
We have nationally recognized restaurants and chefs
We have nice spas,

and most importantly, we have a Back Yard BBQ Pit with their world-famous Mac n Cheese. It don't get no more luxurious than the pool of grease left on your paper plate after eating a generous helping of that, along with some pork-infused collards.

Jokes aside, I think we do pretty well for the size city we have, and considering that just 10-15 years ago, we were a VERY different kind of place.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:52 AM

329 posts, read 250,268 times
Depends on how you define luxury. my wife and I and friends like to eat at The Heritage in Durham. It's a country store and grill and man do they make the best Chicken fried steak and hamburger steak you ever done eat. And they smother it in gravy with mushrooms and onions. I mean it, its slap your grandma good.

I also like it because I can buy my 400lbs of chicken feed while I'm waiting for my food. It dont get much better than that.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:18 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
Yeah I think it depends what you define as luxury. To me national brands aren't necessarily "luxurious" but we have a bunch of locally run boutique stores/restaurants/hotels that are of higher quality than normal.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:19 AM

678 posts, read 738,805 times
Ealdwine in downtown Raleigh is an upscale Men's clothing/shoes shop: https://www.yelp.com/biz/ealdwine-raleigh-raleigh

Raleigh Denim makes $300+ jeans: https://raleighdenimworkshop.com/

Vert & Vogue is an upscale retailer in Durham: https://www.vertandvogue.com/

Old 07-31-2019, 07:27 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
Yeah, Ethan Allen is pricey but not luxury. You can get designer labels at Saks and Neiman Marcus, and I agree with the previous posters that there is a burgeoning local scene for high end and specialty products.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:47 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
When people post about luxury goods and they aren't even in the stratosphere of what luxury goods are

Old 07-31-2019, 07:50 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When people post about luxury goods and they aren't even in the stratosphere of what luxury goods are

You hate Moon Pies?

Spoiler

Old 07-31-2019, 08:01 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
We ain't got nunna dat hi-faluten fancy stuff down these 'here parts.

Dat 'der is for them big 'ole city-slicker folk who wear shoes damnt near errery-day!

Is there not an Ethan Allen at Crossroads anymore?

Old 07-31-2019, 08:08 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,342,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Is there not an Ethan Allen at Crossroads anymore?
It's still there. There's one in North Hills as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary