Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 11:25 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
I honestly just wish I was wealthy enough where my biggest complaint was that my city didn't have enough super high end stores when 80% of the population is in debt. Like damn man, that must be nice.

I want some of that too!

Couldn't rep you again, but I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 11:37 AM

26 posts, read 21,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'm with you 100% too!

We used to have a Louis Vuitton in the Saks but it didn't last.

The closest Tiffany & Co. is in Charlotte, along with Louis Vuitton.

Cartier? No where in sight!

Ok...I'll admit it...I collect Jewelry. Yes, we can shop online but it isn't the same as SEEING it in person and TOUCHING it!

So, during the summer, when I travel with hubby, I make sure I hit the high end stores! And anything I buy then is considered a SOUVENIR!
I think he was being sarcastic but I'm glad you appreciate. Once in awhile there is nothing wrong with getting something nicer. And I think a good amount of people here do well enough to be able to.

These stores survive because when it's something that expensive you need to see it, touch it in person.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Drive on down to Atlanta. We have a Hermès store and about every store mentioned in this thread.
Eh... I was kidding. I do have some Hermes pieces I like, but I'm not really going to be walking around with a Birkin here.

If I want to hit a luxury store, I tend to do it when traveling.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartData View Post
I think he was being sarcastic but I'm glad you appreciate. Once in awhile there is nothing wrong with getting something nicer. And I think a good amount of people here do well enough to be able to.

These stores survive because when it's something that expensive you need to see it, touch it in person.
I'm a she, as Vicki knows. I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, as nobody really NEEDS a bunch of 300k bags, but still... I enjoy a frivolous store as much as the next person.

I'm a sucker for high-end jewelry whether it be production (Tiffany, Cartier, etc) or bespoke.

That said, it's not like plenty of people here don't have "nicer" things, as the topic of the thread defines them.

We do. We just don't mind living someplace where there aren't many stores that sell that sort of thing since we're not buying it weekly or anything.

I think the comment upthread about a lack of tourism here has something to do with it.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:28 PM

140 posts, read 87,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Eh... I was kidding. I do have some Hermes pieces I like, but I'm not really going to be walking around with a Birkin here.

If I want to hit a luxury store, I tend to do it when traveling.
Yes, it’s a good excuse to take a trip down to Boca!

Old 08-01-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbender View Post
Yes, it’s a good excuse to take a trip down to Boca!
True enough! It's a good excuse to go pretty much anywhere fun, when you think about it.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:06 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,547,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
In addition to there not being as large of a contingent of the very wealthy in the Triangle as there is in NYC, DC, SF, LA, etc., Vicki brings to mind another reason - lack of tourism.
Also why, as I brought up in an earlier thread about luxury hotels, Austin, Las Vegas, and Nashville all have similar metro populations to the Triangle (around 2 million apiece) but have fancier stuff. Industries that they have, like entertainment and tourism, bring in a lot of people who are careless with their money.

Or heck, just Raleigh and Honolulu have MSA populations of about 1 million, but there are two Tiffany's locations about 20 blocks from one another in Honolulu. Hint: it's not about the locals

Last edited by paytonc; 08-01-2019 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 07:06 PM

1,228 posts, read 799,003 times
OMG, I was just feeling cute and flush with some extra $$$, so I decided to make it rain and splurge on myself by maxing out contributions to my kids’ 529 plans... check me out on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, and my monetized YouTube channel... xxx ooo.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:23 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,166,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When people post about luxury goods and they aren't even in the stratosphere of what luxury goods are
As my mama would say, he/she probably has champagne tastes and beer money.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartData View Post

LOL..."SHE" was being sarcastic with a grain of truth! Don't let her fool you...she enjoys nice things!!!

And it doesn't seem fair that Charlotte has a few of those stores and "we" don't! LOL

Last edited by VickiR; 08-01-2019 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary