Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 07:19 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I didn't like Dickie's at all, and I tried it twice.
That's exactly how many times I tried it before I decided it wasn't good barbeque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 10:07 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
For the record, the Pit is not authentic NC barbecue. It certainly pleases many people, especially non-natives. And it's a good upscale-ish barbecue spot, the most upscale in Raleigh

Sorry for the delay in reply, was out of town on business all week.

That may be (again, I am not claiming in anyway to be a NC BBQ expert)...

But someone should really pull Greg, Melanie and Devin to the side and tell them to stop presenting themselves as "NC BBQ".

It's pretty clear they think they represent, accurately, the "honoring the state’s best-known and much-cherished culinary tradition"

Old 11-11-2019, 04:41 PM

372 posts, read 722,943 times
Eastern NC BBQ vs Western NC BBQ has 2 distinct differences.

1. Eastern NC BBQ sauce is vinegar based. Western NC BBQ sauce (aka Lexington sauce) is tomato based.

2. Eastern NC BBQ is predominantly whole hog. Western NC BBQ is predominantly pork shoulder.

Anyone that says the difference in BBQ or sauces is minute, doesn't truly know the difference.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:26 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
Eastern NC BBQ vs Western NC BBQ has 2 distinct differences.

1. Eastern NC BBQ sauce is vinegar based. Western NC BBQ sauce (aka Lexington sauce) is tomato based.
Not true. Most Lexington-style bbq sauce recipes have a 6:1 vinegar to ketchup ratio. That means its vinegar based, not tomato based. The tomato is an accent, not the predominant component. Not to mention that ketchup has a lot of vinegar in it to begin with.

Quote:
Anyone that says the difference in BBQ or sauces is minute, doesn't truly know the difference.
Also not true, as proven above. Those who proclaim a huge difference between the two are the uninformed.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:40 PM

372 posts, read 722,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Not true. Most Lexington-style bbq sauce recipes have a 6:1 vinegar to ketchup ratio. That means its vinegar based, not tomato based. The tomato is an accent, not the predominant component. Not to mention that ketchup has a lot of vinegar in it to begin with.

Also not true, as proven above. Those who proclaim a huge difference between the two are the uninformed.
As proven by what? Your say so?

I'm sorry..I obviously over looked the fact you are the end all be all about everything

Western NC BBQ sauce (aka Lexington sauce) is tomato based.

Eastern NC BBQ sauce is vinegar based.

I stand by what I posted.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Western NC BBQ sauce (aka Lexington sauce) is tomato based.

Eastern NC BBQ sauce is vinegar based.

I stand by what I posted.
Good deal, stand by what you posted. However, facts are facts, and I posted them Lexington-style sauce is mostly vinegar, therefor its "vinegar based". Thats what that means. If something is 90+ percent vinegar, then by definition its vinegar based.

You offered no facts, just an unsubstantiated opinion. Ignoring the facts makes your opinion objectively wrong. But thats ok, you're free to be wrong.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
As proven by what? Your say so?
Here's what Bob Garner, noted author and NC bbq guru, has to say to on the matter:

"No other variance between the two distinct barbecue regions of the state is as vociferously discussed and debated as the difference between eastern and Lexington sauce, although I personally believe that it's a distinction in search of a difference. Basically, you take a typical eastern-style vinegar-salt-pepper sauce, you add just enough catsup and maybe a little Worcestershire to darken the sauce to a deep reddish brown, then you throw in a little sugar-just enough to cut the bite of the vinegar a little bit. That's it. That's the big difference all the shouting and arguing is about. Oh, there may be a few other spices in there, but the taste is still vinegar and pepper.

For some reason, a lot of people in the east seem to have the mistaken notion that western or Lexington-style sauce is usually thick with catsup and molasses, like the barbecue sauces found in Texas or on your supermarket shelf. Yes, Lexington-style sauce does contain some tomato extracts, but it's usually a relatively thin sauce, not that much different in color or consistency from the traditional eastern sauce. The taste of the sugar, frankly, is hardly noticeable to most people since it's overridden by the heat of the black and red peppers."

As you can see, Lexington-style is vinegar based. And lots of people don't see a big difference.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:56 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Step one get the pig dressed from nuhunta at the fair grounds.

Step two rent propane pig cooker

Step three put the pig (seasoned) on the cooker (skin down) and let it cook. Flip as late as you can without it breaking apart.
10-11 hours pass.

Step four remove pig parts in manageable parts and start chopping it up.

The sauce is up to you. I like dinosaur bbq sauce or the Piedmont pride style from city bbq on my pork. The propane part is what makes it fool proof in my opinion, tending fires is when stuff starts going sideways fast if you don't have experience. And now I am hungry.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:25 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post

Step three put the pig (seasoned) on the cooker (skin down) and let it cook. Flip as late as you can without it breaking apart.
10-11 hours pass.

The sauce is up to you. I like dinosaur bbq sauce or the Piedmont pride style from city bbq on my pork. The propane part is what makes it fool proof in my opinion, tending fires is when stuff starts going sideways fast if you don't have experience. And now I am hungry.

Thats basically the process our neighborhood follows to a T.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:07 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post

10-11 hours pass.

We always started skin up and salted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary