Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:52 AM

38 posts, read 167,337 times

Advertisements

My best friend drove down from Maryland to attend. She is an art teacher and was really hoping to secure something for next year. She put together an amazing portfolio and had several resume packets ready to hand out. As she visited the various tables she was told time and time again that they were not talking to/interviewing art teachers at the fair. I felt badly because she spent a lot of time driving here and put so much effort into being fully prepared just to be let down. They really should inform candidates who preregister if they do not plan to interview for certain subject areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 06:03 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times
That's too bad. I'm sorry that happened to her. I bet that a lot of people who spent the time to come here were disappointed. I will say that it was about as organized as they could make it, but it was still very overwhelming.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:17 AM

76 posts, read 272,449 times
That was suprising to me as well - I have gone to other job fairs and the schools usually will list specific certification areas they are looking for - that is a bummer!
Really can't believe that many people went - I know they do need teachers but WOW! We'll see if they are still interviewing in July - I figure there will be some last minute openings...well I hope anyways

Old 04-17-2007, 08:36 AM

75 posts, read 336,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTEACHER View Post
WOW! That concerns me! I am counting on a job - but definitly am not willing to take anything! Please let me know of what schools were offering jobs - what schools were there - and any other info you found interesting - now I am just curious what they will have to offer come July...oh boy!

NYTEACHER, why are you waiting until July? I can tell you, first-hand, that the jobs are being filled quickly. You are much more likely to have fewer choices (i.e., will have to settle for a school that you may not like as much) because that's all that will be available as the weeks and months pass. I have an early contract, too, and was at Saturday's job fair. (And, yes, it was as ABSOLUTELY crazy and hectic as the others have described.) Early contract holders were let in a few hours before the rest of the masses....there were about 40 of us present, and we got "first dibs" at signing up for interview slots. Luckily, I landed a job with one of my preferred schools.

Keep in mind that having an early contract doesn't mean that you'll get your first choice school.....it just means that you're guaranteed to get paid by Wake County. It's up to you (with some help from Wake County's Human Resource people, mind you) to go out and find a job and make it happen. I would not recommend waiting and seeing what happens. You have to be proactive on this. If you haven't already, start sending emails directly to the school principals and try to set up telephone interviews, if you can't afford to fly down. (Being poor isn't an excuse for being passive.) If you want a good job at a good school, you're going to have to put effort into your job search. You can do it.....you just have to get started.......NOW.

p.s. In terms of what schools were offering jobs, did you know that all current teaching vacancies are listed on Wake County's website? The list is updated twice weekly. All of the information that you need is available at your finger tips. Good luck to you.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Sure ya do, they want young teachers with little experience. My 28 years of NJ teaching has not helped one bit. In Physical Education it is still who you know. 3 positions at 3 different High Schools have been filled by Brother in law of two football coaches and a fiance of a basketball coach all just out of college.
Personally, I am more concerned with Math, Science, Languages as such for teachers.

Coaches are a nice extra....but I just don't see them as a priority in quality, experience or number.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 AM

I know being poor is no excuse believe me! I still intend to come down but with my schedule there is no way I can until July. I have been looking at the Job Postings - but am also hoping that my preferred schools will get openings - as none do right now. I have already emailed and personally mailed out cover letters and resumes to principals in schools of interest to me - a phone interview would be great, so I will have to see what happens. Thank you for the advice - I am well aware that my situation is not where it needs to be however - I am trying my hardest to make do.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I know being poor is no excuse believe me! I still intend to come down but with my schedule there is no way I can until July. I have been looking at the Job Postings - but am also hoping that my preferred schools will get openings - as none do right now. I have already emailed and personally mailed out cover letters and resumes to principals in schools of interest to me - a phone interview would be great, so I will have to see what happens. Thank you for the advice - I am well aware that my situation is not where it needs to be however - I am trying my hardest to make do.
Depending on your preferred schools, there might not be any openings. I know my daughter's school seldom has any openings as current teachers often want to transfer into it.

You might have to take a job at one of your second string schools.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:13 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,862 times
NY Teacher--I don't remember if you said what grade you teach, but lots of jobs will be STARTING in July because of mandatory year round. Lots of elem schools are converting as well as a few middle schools.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:22 AM

I have my certification in Grades 1-6 Childhood Education and Special Education. I have been researching and researching different schools - trying to get as many opinons as I can. I am only planning to work in a traditional calendar school - and am not sure about actually teaching IN Raleigh because I intend to move in one of the outer cities/towns. Just out of curiosity Desdemona123 what school does your daughter attend?

Those of you who did get jobs - where did you get hired??

Old 04-17-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I have my certification in Grades 1-6 Childhood Education and Special Education. I have been researching and researching different schools - trying to get as many opinons as I can. I am only planning to work in a traditional calendar school - and am not sure about actually teaching IN Raleigh because I intend to move in one of the outer cities/towns. Just out of curiosity Desdemona123 what school does your daughter attend?

Those of you who did get jobs - where did you get hired??
She attends a school in downtown Raleigh. Ligon Magnet Middle. So you are not applying to any school with a Raleigh address? Forgive me for saying it, but you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. The schools in IBL are just as good as the ones, sometimes better, then the ones in surrounding areas of Wake County.

We live in Wake Forest and my daughter had teachers there that lived IBL. I know teachers that live in WF and work IBL. My daughter's favorite teacher this year lives in Cary.

I can see not finding a permanent home until you have found which school you will be teaching at.....but I'd look at which schools in Raleigh proper offer the other things you are looking for (admin style, teaching programs...etc etc) rather then writing off so many good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary