Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:50 AM

180 posts, read 662,755 times

Advertisements

I have a question about lateral entry. Does anyone have any experience with it? I have decided to go after my true passion in life (teaching) and make the switch from the corporate world. I want to jump into teaching as soon as possible! I'm attending a information session this weekend...but how hard will it be for me to get a job? I have a BA in History and Political Science. I have substitute taught many times, coached sports, mentored students.... I don't know the Triangle area that well but I am willing to commute an hour each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 AM

198 posts, read 910,615 times
Default Lateral Entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLamothe View Post
I have a question about lateral entry. Does anyone have any experience with it? I have decided to go after my true passion in life (teaching) and make the switch from the corporate world. I want to jump into teaching as soon as possible! I'm attending a information session this weekend...but how hard will it be for me to get a job? I have a BA in History and Political Science. I have substitute taught many times, coached sports, mentored students.... I don't know the Triangle area that well but I am willing to commute an hour each way.
Go to the website www.teach4NC.org and you should find all you need for lateral entry.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:14 AM

104 posts, read 403,296 times
I drove down last weekend for the job fair. I knew it was going to be crowded so I was there at 6:30am and was number 31. I was lucky enough to get 5 interviews but I just have this feeling that since I'm not living down there yet I wasn't given the time of day. All interviews went great but I felt they wouldn't offer me a 2nd interview because I was unable to come back to the school that week. I also sent out tons of resumes to the other school via email and they keep saying "contact me when you move down"

I feel that they are not accomodating to relocated teachers. I already have my apt lined up (but they won't let me sign my lease until I get a job), NC certification and also applications to NC and Wake County. I tried calling HR but the recruiters were out and the moment and couldn't help me. I feel like I hit a brick wall and don't know where to go from here. I figured Wake would be great for relocation since they have all these incentive programs. Anybody else feel this way or is it just me?

Old 04-21-2007, 02:46 PM

76 posts, read 272,449 times
That is so suprising to me. I feel as though, when I interviewed with them they wanted people to come down because they need teachers. However, as anyone, especially recently graduated teachers know, it is not easy to just up and move immediatly or stay in NC for an extended period of time. Especially since I have an early contract I am becoming more concerned that I will be put on the back burner and not hired by principals just because I am not currently living in NC. I will not be able to move down until August - I am trying to save money and work here right now.

Also, you mentioned you got your NC certification already. I have looked on the website but would appreciate someone's personal point of view (esp. from NY) on how easy/hard this was.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:45 PM

108 posts, read 397,426 times
I was at the Wake County job fair for a high school position and would say that it was entirely a waste of time. I flew out from CA and will be moving to Wake Forest June 18, but I didn't even get one interview. I was number 359 and most school didn't even interview because they didn't know what their openings were going to be (teachers haven't filed for retirement yet and enrollment numbers aren't in yet). I found the fair to be a total waste of time located at a school that no one knew how to find because it was too new, and poorly oprganized (the first and only time they called us to line up, they called numbers 1-500 to line up against the wall....mass hysteria). I also got the "we're looking for people who live here already" attitude, which worries me. I didn't even get to interview with a school. I was really disappointed and discouraged.

Anyone have a better experience at the high school job fair?

Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 PM

8 posts, read 18,565 times
All this makes me nervous!! I too am looking to teach in the elementary schools in Wake Co. and will be relocating from Ohio. I will be visiting in May to check out places, but would it even be worth it?? If there's not going to be a job for me, I wouldn't want to waste my time. I'm willing to work pretty much anywhere (although I'd prefer to not work in a year round school) - Will there be a job for me?????

Old 04-22-2007, 10:36 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Help View Post
All this makes me nervous!! I too am looking to teach in the elementary schools in Wake Co. and will be relocating from Ohio. I will be visiting in May to check out places, but would it even be worth it?? If there's not going to be a job for me, I wouldn't want to waste my time. I'm willing to work pretty much anywhere (although I'd prefer to not work in a year round school) - Will there be a job for me?????
There is nothing guaranteed in life...but there certainly seems to always be openings.....but yes, they do look for folks that have already moved here.

I know that the system has had some problem in the past with hiring teachers and then not having their credentials check out or them not actually moving here and just up and leaving....so they are probably cautious and it's taking longer to get answers back to applicants.

As a parent, I think this is a good thing, but I can see how it would be very frustrating for someone looking for work.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:20 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times
Yes, unfortunately, at the elementary level the principals seemed to want teachers who were experienced and living in the area. That's a bonus for me since I fit the criteria, but how on earth do they weed through the several hundreds of candidates in a noisy overcrowded cafeteria?

I went to the Chapel Hill job fair last Saturday and there were many less teachers there. So I got there at 7 since I learned my lesson from Wake that you have to be there early. Well it didn't matter since they give you two tickets to interview with. So everyone got only 2 interviews. One school didn't take my ticket so I managed to get a third interview. I'm not entirely convinced that the job fair is the way to land a teaching job in the district.

From what I understand, you can pretty much make a phone call to the Durham schools and get a job if you have a license. For all those looking to move down, that might be the way to pay your bills until you get into Wake, or you may just want to stay in Durham.

Good luck.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 AM

49 posts, read 185,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Help View Post

I would e-mail principals in the schools that you are interested in that have openings and let them know that you are going to be visiting in May. I had signed up for the job fair, bought the plane ticket and everything but I came to visit my husband the week before when I was on Spring Break and I had a principal call and set up an interview and I got the job.
They have a lot of openings and I think that you should have a good chance of getting a job but I would let them know when you plan on visiting.
On the year round note. The majority of the schools in Wake County are year round. That is not to say that you won't get a tradtional calendar school but there are more year round. Teaching in a year round here in Illinois, I love it. When I first was hired I hated started school in the summer I felt like I as missing out (even though my husband has a year round job) but now that I teach it having a long break in the fall is nice!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 PM

57 posts, read 265,948 times
I didn't go, because all the job fairs around here pretty much state that lateral entry candidates will not be interviewed. I'm an attorney with several years of child welfare law experience trying to break into teaching... and I can't get the time of day from a single school district within a 50 mile radius.... so much for needing teachers. Why exactly did they bother setting up RALC's anyway?

Sorry, I'm cranky... can't find a job, and I'm very disillusioned with the whole teaching thing!!!

curlygc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary