Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 AM

76 posts, read 272,449 times

Advertisements

I actually had only decided that because I was not wanting to make a long commute. I guess the things I have heard about the commute into Raleigh from outer towns do not apply to all places. Please then let me know where would be a good area to live that would not require a long commute? I have actually looked into some schools in Raleigh, but I am not at all familiar with geography of this area. I do not know what schools are in good areas which are in not so good areas and simply because this information is difficult to find. I know that for example, North Raleigh is a nice area, but also that is it very pricey to live in this area. Please any information you have on commute etc from specific areas please let me know. Please also understand that coming from New York - we do not organize our schools by county - but by town. The city schools here more often than not do not have the best reputation, often low on supplies, etc. I actually did my student teaching in a city school and decided it was not for me. I am sure this is a different case in Raleigh. However, I do not have the experience to understand so please - ENLIGHTEN me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 10:35 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTEACHER View Post
I actually had only decided that because I was not wanting to make a long commute. I guess the things I have heard about the commute into Raleigh from outer towns do not apply to all places. Please then let me know where would be a good area to live that would not require a long commute? I have actually looked into some schools in Raleigh, but I am not at all familiar with geography of this area. I do not know what schools are in good areas which are in not so good areas and simply because this information is difficult to find. I know that for example, North Raleigh is a nice area, but also that is it very pricey to live in this area. Please any information you have on commute etc from specific areas please let me know. Please also understand that coming from New York - we do not organize our schools by county - but by town. The city schools here more often than not do not have the best reputation, often low on supplies, etc. I actually did my student teaching in a city school and decided it was not for me. I am sure this is a different case in Raleigh. However, I do not have the experience to understand so please - ENLIGHTEN me!
For some reason I thought you had that idea about the schools down here....since it is so odd to have a county wide school district up north. It took me a time to get my mind around it.

First, you are not going to have the typical northern inner city school in Wake County. All schools are funded in the same manner...so just because there are more expensive homes in the Wakefield area doesn't mean they get more supplies. (You may find they have higher parental involvement and PTA donations...but I wouldn't even bet on that in all cases.)

As I am sure you know, is that Wake County keeps it's schools (or tries very hard to) balanced by economic levels...so you don't have all students in any school living in poverty. That tends to stop the 'inner city school problem' in it's tracks. For those areas that don't have much economic diversity, they have magnet schools to help balance it out. (These schools are highly sought after and are great. If two years ago you'd have told me that I would be sending my daughter into a less then great downtown neighborhood everyday I'd have laughed. Now I would have her no where else. (We recently had a job offer out of state, her being at Ligon and what it offers played heavily into our choice to turn it down.))

All schools have differences, and some are better then others in some ways, but there just isn't the huge gap you'd see in between urban and suburban districts in other places.

Okay, that being said....I wouldn't think any school in Raleigh itself would have to have a bad commute as long as you planned to live on that side of town. If you found a school in North Raleigh for example, Wake Forest isn't that far away. A school on the east side of Raleigh- you could look at Knightsdale. Even a school is off to the west, nothing says you can't live in Cary and work in Raleigh.

You may want to go over the list of elementary schools with Raleigh addresses and plot them on a map program and see where they actually are in Raleigh, to find out what sort of 'outside of Raleigh' areas are near them if you want to live outside the city.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:42 PM

198 posts, read 910,615 times
I too was unable to make to last Saturday's fair. However, Wake has a week that they will be spending in my state and I will try them then. I prefer to teach in undesirable locations (inner city) that hopefully no one else will want. I have a job in SE Raleigh but it is with an independent school (less $) and I wanted to see what the district can offer me. Tomorrow I will be going to the first of many locations that they will be at here in Indiana. I am willing to teach anywhere ...and I mean anywhere. I've worked in charters, inner city schools and alternative sentencing same sex schools. I've enjoyed all of these experiences so I dont mind going anyplace-except suburbia...I do not feel needed nor like I make a difference in those type schools- just referring to my own personal opinion, not anyone else's, and I too am a parent of a soon to be first grader.
Keep your fingers crossed!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:02 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times
Teach07,
Durham is always looking for teachers as well, especially since you mention that you want to teach in a more needy area. Unfortunately, the Durham job fair is on the same day as the Chapel Hill one. I have chosen to go to the CH job fair and if it doesn't pan out, then I'll apply for jobs in Durham. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks so much for the info!! I am definitley going to keep my options open and of course use this forum to help determine opinons of schools and location! I had just read some things about horrible traffic in certain areas going into Raleigh on the heavy commute times. I prefer to be nice and close 20 minutes would be as far as I would go. Since we were talking about it any input on :

Stough Elementary
Powell Elementary
Lincoln Heights Elementary
** oh yes and Middle Creek Elementary**
Thanks So Much!!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:13 PM

19 posts, read 60,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach07 View Post
I prefer to teach in undesirable locations (inner city) that hopefully no one else will want
I too like the challenge of teaching in an inner city school or non recognition school. I will be looking for schools designated as Non recognition in the the Raleigh area. I was looking to move to Johnston County. If I wanted to commute into downtown Raleigh, about how long would that take?

Old 04-18-2007, 08:15 AM

I actually interviewd with Johnston County - they were very pleasant. They told me that Raleigh was only a 20 minute or so drive depending on which part of Johnston County you live in - of course this county is much smaller than Wake County and actually does not have as many jobs to offer.
I know some of you mentioned Chapel Hill Schools - what are your feelings on this area? I have looked on their website and saw that they are hiring for 2007-2008 school year - any comments on schools in this area? The neighborhoods in this area? THX

Old 04-18-2007, 09:44 AM

198 posts, read 910,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Teach07,
Durham is always looking for teachers as well, especially since you mention that you want to teach in a more needy area. Unfortunately, the Durham job fair is on the same day as the Chapel Hill one. I have chosen to go to the CH job fair and if it doesn't pan out, then I'll apply for jobs in Durham. Good luck.
Thanks for your post SandyCat but the only thing is this: would it be wise to commute from Garner to Durham? I had planned on staying close to SE Raleigh. When is the Durham fair again? In terms of pay, are they generally lower than WCPSS?

Old 04-18-2007, 11:30 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times
I have no clue about distance since I just moved here at the beginning of the month. As far as money goes, I would imagine Wake pays more, but I can't imagine that much more. The Durham fair is this Saturday, the same day as Chapel Hill, not a wise decision by the Durham people in my opinion. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 PM

I have heard so many different things about Chapel-Hill Schools - does anyone have any thoughts on this? Some things i have read include that Chapel-Hill is the top of the food chain when it comes to school districts. However, others feel that Wake County has more to offer with it's magnet programs and so on. I am not really sure - but I can imagine - from a teacher's perspective there is differences that are important when considering a job in the county. I am not sure but as far as I know Chapel Hill is close to the Raleigh area? Please let me know your thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary