Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times

Advertisements

Old thread, but since the OP is still a major contributor to this community, I'll play:

Blinko's on Glenwood has good dogs including the white Coney's.
My fav's in town are probably those found in front of several Lowe's Hardware.

Roasty Grill (Hot Weiners) gets my vote for the ambiance, but I really don't think their dogs are that great, but alas, it's still worth it for the experience.

I thought it was pretty cool when Harris Teeter started carrying Zweiglers. They are another great alternative, yet very unique. Their natural casing dogs are great.

And of course, what good hot-dog thread is complete without totally disregarding the OP's subject and throwing a vote in for some good authentic taco's at Poncho Villa's in Cary at Chatham Square... :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 02:32 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Zweigles skinless redhots, toasted bun and catsup, off my grill.

Serve with Mac and Cheese.

Weirdest hotdog I ever had was in Amsterdam. They put the oddest seasonings in their meat and catsup, I was looking for a taste of home and well swing and a miss there.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:18 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Zweigles skinless redhots, toasted bun and catsup, off my grill.

Serve with Mac and Cheese.

Weirdest hotdog I ever had was in Amsterdam. They put the oddest seasonings in their meat and catsup, I was looking for a taste of home and well swing and a miss there.
why skinless? then you don't get that nice crunch!

Zweigles are some tasty dogs though

Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
The Sandwich King has reopened in Durham, near the old Ballpark, corner of Geer & Foster Streets. Great hot dogs and all other stuff too. Dropped by yesterday for a dog. New owner has made every effort to keep food the way the original owners did. He made 1 great addition, he serves brats. I never ate them til a trip to Chicago, where they were served everywhere. He's from northern Indiana, he said. Same region. Could it get any better, good hot dogs as we've know all our lives and now great brats too. BTW, the dog itself isn't as important as the chili, mustard and slaw. If those are good, the dog is good.

Paschal's in Durham has great dogs with great toppings. Holloway Street. Green's Grill in Durham closed a few years ago. They were great. Bossman's on Miami Blvd had great hot dogs. They are now a Mexican place. A place on Angier Ave, in an old gas station bldg had great dogs. I think they are closed now. Never knew the name, wasn't posted outside. The cafe at the Brookwood Inn, near Duke North has great dogs, but expensive. Over $9 for 2 hot dogs, fries and drink, last time I went there.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 AM

Is Newton's Grill in downtown Raleigh still around? I don't get to Raleigh much these days. They were somewhere near the Legislative buildings. Seems I remember great hot dogs and burgers there.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
Tried Shorty's in Wake Forest once and just about gagged. There are people who love it, most of whom seem to be hung up on the place for nostalgic reasons. To me, the place looked really run down, and the dogs sucked. Just one person's opinion, of course.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:19 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Is Newton's Grill in downtown Raleigh still around? I don't get to Raleigh much these days. They were somewhere near the Legislative buildings. Seems I remember great hot dogs and burgers there.
Nope....Newton's is long gone...demolished. They did indeed have a good hot dog....great sandwiches too.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:48 AM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
I will only eat Nathan's hotdogs. There are several "southern" foods I can't stomach and just as many "northern" foods that make me turn green.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 AM

47 posts, read 102,817 times
Snoopy's!!!! A few locations in the area, near Spring Forest & Atlantic, also off Wake Forest Rd, one off Hillsborough St.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Nope....Newton's is long gone...demolished. They did indeed have a good hot dog....great sandwiches too.
Sorry to hear this. Newton's was a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary