Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
So are you going to go for it? It would be worth selling ASAP for 70K as the extra $$ would allow you to rent an extended stay rental until Fall. Strike while the iron is hot.
There's not a gambling streak in my body, being in Las Vegas here, but I've been watching the prices go up here in my neighborhood, and there's the chance that I may get even more if I wait until Fall. I paid $72k for this back in 1996, prices zoomed to $200k at the RE peak, then after the crash, prices crashed to the 30's for these townhouses, and it's been a long haul up to $70k!

You may be right, strike while the iron is hot! If she raises her offer to $75k, I'll grab it and endure the suffering of moving in the heat of summer, and moving to a city equally hot in AZ. At 65, it would take all the strength I can muster!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 4,689 times
White makes a house look clean, polished, and in ready to move in mode. When buying a house people don't expect to put money into it right away. So, you may get better bids if you paint it all white first, that way the potential new homeowner can picture how they want the space to look if it looks like a blank space/pallet to work with.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:44 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'll be putting my house up for sale this summer, have owned it 19 years, a townhouse, and, figuring I was going to die here (just turned 65), I painted every room a different color, in some cases, 2-3-4 different colors in one room, like the kitchen, with bright red countertops. Even the interior of the garage has 10 different colors!

I've been told: You've got to paint all the walls white or beige before you sell it!

Alternative? How about throwing in a painting allowance into the price?

As I look through houses for sale, in Tucson where I plan to move, I see lots of interiors of homes with lots of bright colors, but being me, it's no deterrent to me whatsoever if bedroom walls are painted purple or cobalt blue!

I'm really in no great shape to re-paint this entire house, but I could be up to it, if I had assurances that if I did whiten all the walls, it would sell better. Is it true, the white or beige walls make a house sell better?

What do you think?
Hire a professional to re-paint the home in a couple of soft neutrals. It doesn't have to be all white. Put all your stuff away, have it painted, leave it clean and not too cluttered.

Here is a question that should answer your question. Do you want to sell this property quickly and for a good price? There's your answer.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
An opinion from someone that entered the real estate brokerage business in 1972 and stayed in it till I finally retired. I also spent 10 years in furniture sales and interior decorating. This background gives me the knowledge to answer your question.

I am going to use a true story as an example.

I was in commercial/investment real estate and did not normally sell single family homes as personal residences. However once in a while a friend would ask for help.

A woman came to see me, and told me her home had been for sale for 1 1/2 years without a single offer. Similar homes in her neighborhood sold fast. I went out to see it, and found colors that actually made the home look dirty and unappealing. I told her to paint the interior off white (never paint pure white), and I would list it and sell it for her. She hated white but did as I told her. A week later when she finished the painting she called me and said it was done, and to her surprise the home looked way bigger inside and gleamed clean. Listed it and put it on MLS. There were 3 full price offers by the following morning.

I was not in personal residence home sales, but I bought a lot of them for investors. I still hold after 40 years the county record for most homes sold in 1 day. I sold a 13 unit to be built housing track in 2 1/2 hours on the phone selling each investor 2 to 5 homes. The price was really right so good for investors.

I bought a lot of Single Family Homes for investors with bad colors that turned off buyers and bought them cheap. I had my own part time crew, that could repaint the interior in a day. I would buy them in my account, have them painted, and then sell them to investors for a nice profit as owners had them on the market so long they were desperate to sell them.

I hope you understand my message. Paint the interior an off white which offends no one. You will find that it suddenly will be a hot item in the local market. That technique worked 40 years ago, and works today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate