Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:41 PM

12 posts, read 9,819 times

Advertisements

I think you will be better off painting it. Some will be turned off by the colors and not like the house. That will lower the price due to less people willing to bid on it. The buyers who can look past it and imagine that how it will look with colors they like, will still have to come up with the cash to paint it. If you deduct the paint cost from the price, then they still have to come up with the cash now. They might not have the cash, so the price deduction, means little to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Just as an aside, with hard to cover colors that might require multiple coats of primer, when is it more economical to just get the drywall guys in to skim coat the walls and start over with a blank slate?

Old 04-24-2015, 11:00 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Just as an aside, with hard to cover colors that might require multiple coats of primer, when is it more economical to just get the drywall guys in to skim coat the walls and start over with a blank slate?
Nope. Not even red paint requires multiple coats of primer, it will just need one coat of a really good primer, then two coats of a really good paint.

Skim coating requires really good cleaning, then sanding between skim coats, then primer, then paint. It's insanely messy because of the dust and it still needs priming and painting. It's also even more skilled than painting and I'd hesitate to do it myself, while painting is easy to DIY.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Talked to a long-time friend from Arkansas, yesterday, who's worked as a real estate agent, and she, too, says Paint! She has had colored walls in her houses, and she mentioned some dynamic cover-up paint with words High Hide in it! But that could be the primer! I'll investigate further when I go to the paint department at Lowe's or Home Depot!

I've had a Mexican Handyman, living with me, for 15 years, an excellent painter, but he's in FL right now, uncertain when he'll be back as he's got some projects there with a contractor who moved there, who he used to work for here in Las Vegas. But, given he doesn't like FL, I'm sure he'll be back, perhaps this summer. So that would solve that problem!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Paint it!

Virtually everyone who looks at your home will have seen it online. The majority of people will be instantly turned off by the colors and won't even look at it in person even if it's the Taj Mahal!

And a paint allowance says to me oh I know it's fugly, but I don't want to deal with it so it's now your problem. What other problems don't you want to deal with and you want me to fork over my money for?

Old 04-28-2015, 03:32 PM

625 posts, read 623,698 times
Default painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Post photo's? I'm a low-tekkie, don't even own a Smartphone, I own a simple cellphone! Yes, I have a camera, and that always takes a herculean effort to get a photo uploaded!

Today, I called the agent that sold me my house 19 years ago, but she's now retired, and she is going to refer an agent to me, and she told me to wait with the painting, until the agent arrives, to give me tips on how to make it more saleable.
I skipped to the end. Are you painting?

We just bought a house a year ago. I can tell you from our experience, the ones with lots of crazy colors were off-putting. There are too many things to do in a new house already. I don't want to have to paint the whole thing just to make it move-in ready/tolerable.

Please do post some photos. We're all curious.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,049 times
Yes, show us pics before you paint.

I ordered an air compressor and thought I might spray paint an edgy Banksy-type decal on my wall for creative effect when I sell. Then I remembered this thread and decided to save Banksy for the new place.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:10 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Update!

I was getting frustrated trying to find an agent that would, at least, come over to see my townhouse unit, and make suggestions as to how to make this unit for saleable, and given the price, I wasn't surprised by the lack of interest, as what agent wants to market a house in the $60-$70k range, too much work for too little commission?

So I latched onto an agent who 3 other units for sale in this complex, and she responded overnight, and she buys for investors, as she has 2 current offers on the 3 units she has listed.

She almost blew me away, talking to her on the phone, unfazed by my brightly colored house, when she said she could offer me $70k cash for my unit, sight unseen! Being an engrained pessimist, I was only expecting to fetch $60k for this place.

She did stop over, and told me if I wanted to get the house in shape for FHA financing, being how picky they can be, I'd have a lot of work ahead of me. But I told her I wasn't interested in selling until Fall.

She told me her investors have crews that work with them, and they can go through this house, and transform it in a matter of days.

My big hope was selling for cash and buying for cash where I'm headed, and that would be doable with $70k and that's all I'm asking for.

I also found out, with a trip to the Paint department, of Home Depot, Behr sells a very expensive paint, $45 a gallon, which is guaranteed to cover anything, no priming necessary. And they told me if it didn't cover it, they'd come over and find out why it didn't cover!

So perhaps the Chinese investors are still buying up Las Vegas, as not too long ago, an estimated 40% of buyers here were Chinese!

The Chinese love the color red (the color of joy to them!) and if they could see my bright red kitchen countertops!!!!

Old 06-17-2015, 04:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
A ridiculously painted house, which is what is sounds like you have will turn buyers off. Normally the best showings are at the beginning, if you lose those people than you might not be able to sell. If you are going to give a paint discount, hire a painter for the same price and have it painted.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:15 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
So are you going to go for it? It would be worth selling ASAP for 70K as the extra $$ would allow you to rent an extended stay rental until Fall. Strike while the iron is hot.

Last edited by luv4horses; 06-17-2015 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate