Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:05 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Depends on your market and how much you want to sell. I'm in a sellers market and was when I sold last summer too, but I was still a very motivated seller as I had already signed a contract for new construction. So I did some work on my house to make it turnkey - yes, possibly the buyer might have made some different design choices but it was still in excellent condition and ready to move in. If you are in a hot market with low inventory, then no problem letting the buyer be the one to worry about refurbishing. If it's a buyer's market, you are still free to do that, but you have to accept the fact that your home will likely take longer to sell.
I have already bought a new money pit that is sucking up my time and money. I did price the house to allow for me to offer a paint allowance, closing help or whatever to the buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:10 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
Properties with new paint and new carpet will sell better and that's just the reality of it. People don't need the house to be in mint condition, but most people don't want to move into a house and immediately have to lay out several thousand additional to repaint and re-carpet. You will end up losing more cash with a lower selling price than it would cost you to repaint and put in cheap carpet.

To the OP, just repaint the house, or at least all the rooms with 2, 3 and 4 colors. Unless you are in a very hot sellers market, you will end up losing out on a lot of buyers if you don't.
It is roughly $5k to paint and do carpet. I dont have that right now. I bought a new house that needed, new floors, paint, running water, hvac and electric issues. I dumped $6k in the new house just to get running water. So yes my patience with folks complaining about a house needing paint and carpet or wanting newer appliances is long gone. I should lay out pictures of the house when i bought it as a foreclosure

Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,789,749 times
You could try advertising your home in places where "colorful" people will be likely to take notice of it.
I was able to sell my home and I had striped walls, a monkey above my bedroom door, and murals in just about every room. The porch railings were painted many colors, like a Painted Lady. The realtor advised me to neutralize. I said, "I can't do it." I'm horribly stubborn when it comes to painting over artwork! It took a little longer to sell, probably. The woman who bought it most likely painted everything white.

Depending on how much time you have, I think I'd try to sell it as is. If it's getting frustrating, consider neutralizing. You never know, though, someone might really love the colors.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:08 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,767,171 times
Pay someone to paint it. Some neutral color, but not stark white. Navajo white is just creamy enough to take the edge off "white". It's going to make a difference in how quickly it sells.

If I looked at a house with that many colors, to be honest, it would turn me off instantly. I would have a hard time concentrating on it's good points while dreading all the painting that would ABSOLUTELY be required.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:08 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,977 times
My parents recently bought a home with crazy paint job inside. Pink walls, baby blue walls, yellow walls, etc. They got their house for literally $75K less than the homes next to it. The houses are all the same build otherwise. The total cost to repaint it was less than $4000. You could be leaving a LOT of money on the table.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:20 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Absolutely paint it. Just hire someone if you can't do it yourself. NO ALLOWANCES. Most people can't see beyond what is front of them, and don't want to. Most buyers will walk in, chuckle to themselves, and walk out to find a townhouse that doesn't require work.

This isn't even taught in Real Estate 101 because it was covered in Real Estate Kindergarten. Paint the damned thing!

Old 04-21-2015, 02:36 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,306,102 times
One word: paint.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:39 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,795,689 times
In short again without writing a novel, painting the complete inside of your home a neutral light color will not only make it sell quicker but it will make the inside look larger.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:29 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Don't paint white, it's so lifeless and boring. Paint at least the living areas some neutral or earth tone light color.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
From 1972 till I retired I was a commercial/investment real estate broker. Bought lots of homes of all price ranges for rentals.

I loved it, when people put a house with paint like yours on the market. Eventually I would be able to buy them far below their true value, and a quick coat of off white paint, and I could make a big profit on them.

Colors like that will turn away about 95% of the potential buyers, and the 5% will want to buy cheap. A painting allowance does not solve the problem, I can tell you for sure from years in the business. People buy homes as they are presented, or want to buy them considerably under value. A small painting allowance will not mean anything when selling.

Safe color is an off white. No one will not accept it, but colors such as grey as suggested, will cut your buying pool down considerably. The off white will not offend anyone, but it is the only color that will not turn off some buyers.

I had spent 15 years selling higher end furniture and interior decorating before going into the real estate business, which also gives me another reference point for advising off white.

When I first went into the real estate business, a woman came to me and asked me to tell her why her home was not selling in 1 1/2 years. I went and looked at it and knew the reason immediately. It was painted a chocolate brown throughout, which though the home was spotlessly clean felt like it was dirty, and about 30% smaller than it really was. Told her I would not even list it, unless she painted it off white. She hated off white and neutral colors, but did as I told her. Took a week to paint it all. She called me and said it shocked her as how clean it now looked, and how much bigger it looked. Got in an ad for the property the next evening, and in the MLS. The house was in a hot neighborhood, and that evening after the ad came out, there were 3 full price offers. Of course I made sure she took the one I wrote.

That is an example of many I could give you of paint keeping a home from selling, or driving down the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate