Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I'm that way about floors.

If I can at least get my family and our stuff in the house, I can complete projects that need to be done on my own time frame. But I don't want to mess with projects that require me to pay extra to hold my stuff in storage while floors are being redone.

If I have to wait to have a contractor come in and redo flooring (or in your case painting), that affects my moving schedule and possibly our closing date. I do NOT want to mess with that.

This is why it's about more than just personal taste, OP, and why a home that is as close to move-in ready as you can get it will usually sell quicker.
Before I bought this townhouse, 19 years ago, I looked at a townhouse, where they had put this ugly ceramic tile over the entire first floor of the unit. The rest of the house was perfect, but OMG! That yellowish-brown tile was the killer!

I hate ceramic tile floors to begin with, and that's one of the reasons I bought this unit, because of the vinyl flooring. Much easier to pull up vinyl flooring! Oh the idea of smashing up all that ceramic tile, the dust, the chaos, and the time to do it!

I replaced the vinyl flooring with the white square vinyl tiles, so the buyer will it have it much easier, if they opt to replace it with ceramic tile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 05:52 AM

822 posts, read 1,284,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'll be putting my house up for sale this summer, have owned it 19 years, a townhouse, and, figuring I was going to die here (just turned 65), I painted every room a different color, in some cases, 2-3-4 different colors in one room, like the kitchen, with bright red countertops. Even the interior of the garage has 10 different colors!

I've been told: You've got to paint all the walls white or beige before you sell it!

Alternative? How about throwing in a painting allowance into the price?

As I look through houses for sale, in Tucson where I plan to move, I see lots of interiors of homes with lots of bright colors, but being me, it's no deterrent to me whatsoever if bedroom walls are painted purple or cobalt blue!

I'm really in no great shape to re-paint this entire house, but I could be up to it, if I had assurances that if I did whiten all the walls, it would sell better. Is it true, the white or beige walls make a house sell better?

What do you think?
Just go to Home Depot and pick their cheap house brand, some brushes, etc, and on the way out of the lot get a bunch of day laborers and have them fix it up and you are good to go.

BTW white is too bright if you don't have smooth walls. Would go with beige. Just like a white dress shirt is least offensive a whitish color like beige is least likely to find someone objecting to it psychologically. That is the reason why you want that "neutral" look. You will also find most rentals are painted that way and for the same reason.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:10 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I think most people look at several properties in their preferred location and then decide, amongst those properties, which best suits their desires and will need the least amount of work and money to make it their own. If I'm looking at a property and I'm thinking "I have to repaint the ENTIRE inside, replace the carpet, GUT the kitchen, and re-tile the bathroom floor just to make it livable"....well let's just say I would scratch it off the list unless it is priced at least 20K below the others.
Yes, this. We bought a couple of brightly colored houses, how every they were tens of thousands of dollars cheaper, so it was worth the effort.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Just go to Home Depot and pick their cheap house brand, some brushes, etc, and on the way out of the lot get a bunch of day laborers and have them fix it up and you are good to go.

BTW white is too bright if you don't have smooth walls. Would go with beige. Just like a white dress shirt is least offensive a whitish color like beige is least likely to find someone objecting to it psychologically. That is the reason why you want that "neutral" look. You will also find most rentals are painted that way and for the same reason.
Never ever ever paint with cheap paint! It takes more coats to cover, and the time in painting is worth more than the $20 you saved in paint.

OP, buyers don't hate colour per se, but your particular combinations and intensity of colours sound very very specific to you. If your soul rebels against beige, you could repaint in golds, sages, etc.

My main concern is the kitchen. I'm one who likes a badly staged bargain house, but with the insides of the cabinets bright yellow I'd be thinking it's a gut job. What is the kitchen like generally? What sort of prep did you do when you painted it?

Old 04-23-2015, 09:05 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post

I would NOT get day laborers, someone who doesn't know how to paint will cost you more than a professional painter in the long run. In my 20's I had towels, curtains, my phone, etc. painted by painters - they were young and cheap though! Never again!!!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:41 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times
I know all about cheap paint, penny wise dollar foolish!

I'll go with Ralph Lauren paint! I've used it before, it's awesome paint! Expensive, but worth it!

Old 04-23-2015, 10:21 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Alright! My burgundy-walled bedroom, with Aztec Yellow/Turquoise accents, I can see that will have to go! The stairway walls (lime-green & cobalt blue) I can see that will have to go too! The pink-walked bathroom upstairs, I will leave it! The burnt orange colored downstairs half-bath with orange porcelain tiled floor, don't know about that one! Living room is a light yellow with a bright yellow, wall-to-wall bookshelf, I think I'll keep that as is.

But ah, the combo dining room/kitchen! I'd cry my eyes out to cover up the one wall with light yellow and 2 pink walls and the violet kitchen cupboards with purple trim! And I even painted the verticals, for the sliding glass doors, one different color on each side of the blinds!
<Sigh> When an artist sets out to capture a scene on canvas, he/she doesn't start by painting the canvas cobalt blue. IMO, the same is true of interior wall treatments: they are the canvas for your accessory items and furniture, and as such should be relatively neutral. The bonus is when you can't stand the radioactive orange throw pillows any more you can just replace them with the color that currently speaks to you.

The house was YOUR house, and it sounds like the bright colors gave you a lot of pleasure -- you just have to be aware that >90% of your potential buyers will get a headache from even thinking about them. You might want to split the difference and leave the most neutral wall in each room as a contrast wall for a beigy-gray main color.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:33 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,515,063 times
Stage the house. Make it so beautiful that they'll want to keep the color. Or paint.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Quote:
Yes, this. We bought a couple of brightly colored houses, how every they were tens of thousands of dollars cheaper, so it was worth the effort.
Exactly what I have tried to point out. I loved them as I could buy them cheap, send in my own crew and make a big profit.

The old rule of thumb in real estate, is the more oddball the decorating, etc., the cheaper you will eventually buy it for.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:39 PM

11,105 posts, read 9,750,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Exactly what I have tried to point out. I loved them as I could buy them cheap, send in my own crew and make a big profit.

The old rule of thumb in real estate, is the more oddball the decorating, etc., the cheaper you will eventually buy it for.
True, but I'm thinking the OP would like to get the most money possible for her home. To do that she's going to have to spend a few hundred on some off-white or light neutral paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate