Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:54 AM

5 posts, read 6,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'll be putting my house up for sale this summer, have owned it 19 years, a townhouse, and, figuring I was going to die here (just turned 65), I painted every room a different color, in some cases, 2-3-4 different colors in one room, like the kitchen, with bright red countertops. Even the interior of the garage has 10 different colors!

I've been told: You've got to paint all the walls white or beige before you sell it!

Alternative? How about throwing in a painting allowance into the price?

As I look through houses for sale, in Tucson where I plan to move, I see lots of interiors of homes with lots of bright colors, but being me, it's no deterrent to me whatsoever if bedroom walls are painted purple or cobalt blue!

I'm really in no great shape to re-paint this entire house, but I could be up to it, if I had assurances that if I did whiten all the walls, it would sell better. Is it true, the white or beige walls make a house sell better?

What do you think?
As someone who's currently looking at a ton of houses and actively seeing this very often, I'd say -- paint it neutral!! I see a lot of homes that are very taste-specific, like lots of wallpaper (even on ceilings!). Even though I know it's only paint and that it's cosmetic, it's still a distraction. It's cheaper for you to go ahead and do it, and as a buyer I would pay you more for the house than it would cost the seller to just paint it. Not white but in neutral colors. As a buyer, my first impression is always how much $$$ I'll need to spend, along with finding a painter, hiring them, waiting for them to do all the work, etc.

As a second option, include a painting allowance, the name of a painter lined up, and commitment from that painter that they can get the work done within a week of closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
When we sold our last house, no two rooms were painted the same color. Hell would freeze over before I have an entire home painted beige or white. What we did was repaint using different colors of the same family (i.e. cool neutrals) so that even though the rooms were different, everything flowed. Sherwin Williams "Cool Neutrals" pallette is pretty awesome.

Our current home is mostly neutral and I absolutely hate the colors. At first, painting was going to be somewhere down the line, but thanks to the wall to wall blah beige and cream and random mustard yellow, I have to paint earlier for my sanity.

Maybe your decor would mitigate the color issue.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:38 AM

502 posts, read 896,141 times
Yes, paint. It doesn't have to be white - or even beige. Just pick a mild color scheme that follows together.

And, if there is ANY wallpaper - REMOVE it asap. Buyers hate wallpaper.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
I'll be putting my house up for sale this summer, have owned it 19 years, a townhouse, and, figuring I was going to die here (just turned 65), I painted every room a different color, in some cases, 2-3-4 different colors in one room, like the kitchen, with bright red countertops. Even the interior of the garage has 10 different colors!

I've been told: You've got to paint all the walls white or beige before you sell it!

As I look through houses for sale, in Tucson where I plan to move, I see lots of interiors of homes with lots of bright colors, but being me, it's no deterrent to me whatsoever if bedroom walls are painted purple or cobalt blue!

I'm really in no great shape to re-paint this entire house, but I could be up to it, if I had assurances that if I did whiten all the walls, it would sell better. Is it true, the white or beige walls make a house sell better?

What do you think?

Repaint and one can never have any assurances that anything will sell better.
It is all up to who looks at the home and likes it.

Personally, I would never make an appointment to see your home if there were photos.
Even with a "paint allowance", why would I do all the hard work to cover up what you did?

Old 04-21-2015, 11:54 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:

What do you think?
I am battling a similiar issue except that my townhouse needs paint and carpet. Buyers today want it to be in mint condition and perfect. I get feedback that the house has not been maintained well. Well yeah I have kids and pets. But I bought the house in 2008, and had to paint, install flooring and lights, replace hvac and hot water heater and landscape just to name a few things... Yeah i dont have the money or time to do it all again. Buy it, paint and replace carpet to suit your taste, not mine.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:59 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am battling a similiar issue except that my townhouse needs paint and carpet. Buyers today want it to be in mint condition and perfect. I get feedback that the house has not been maintained well. Well yeah I have kids and pets. But I bought the house in 2008, and had to paint, install flooring and lights, replace hvac and hot water heater and landscape just to name a few things... Yeah i dont have the money or time to do it all again. Buy it, paint and replace carpet to suit your taste, not mine.
Depends on your market and how much you want to sell. I'm in a sellers market and was when I sold last summer too, but I was still a very motivated seller as I had already signed a contract for new construction. So I did some work on my house to make it turnkey - yes, possibly the buyer might have made some different design choices but it was still in excellent condition and ready to move in. If you are in a hot market with low inventory, then no problem letting the buyer be the one to worry about refurbishing. If it's a buyer's market, you are still free to do that, but you have to accept the fact that your home will likely take longer to sell.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,723 times
Quote:
Properties with new paint and new carpet will sell better and that's just the reality of it. People don't need the house to be in mint condition, but most people don't want to move into a house and immediately have to lay out several thousand additional to repaint and re-carpet. You will end up losing more cash with a lower selling price than it would cost you to repaint and put in cheap carpet.

To the OP, just repaint the house, or at least all the rooms with 2, 3 and 4 colors. Unless you are in a very hot sellers market, you will end up losing out on a lot of buyers if you don't.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:03 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Paint it or hire someone to paint it.

Paint isn't a turn-off to me, but it is to the vast majority of people. especially with the amount & brightness of colors it sounds like you have going on.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:42 PM

83 posts, read 168,540 times
Quote:

What do you think?

Use the painting allowance you were going to throw in to paint the house in any NEUTRAL color.

It is very important for the buyers (especially, women) to put themselves on the picture in your house.

While some people have the ability to see the potential of the property regardless of the wall color or other minor factors, yet the majority of your buyers will struggle to see themselves and their furniture/wall art etc through the bright colors of your house.

Last edited by Natasha_DrPhillips; 04-21-2015 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 12:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Buy it, paint and replace carpet to suit your taste, not mine.
As long as you price it for the condition it's in and not like one that has been renovated, they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate