Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 12:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 40,472,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
I really like those built-in shelves in particular!

Jay, the realtor just always says "they said the kitchen was too small." It's never anything concrete enough that we can address specifically.
That's because most buyers can't visualize spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 01:04 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,780,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
That's because most buyers can't visualize spaces.
Empty spaces are hard to visualize, especially small rooms with no furniture, a kitchen like that is not.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:03 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,145,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
I really like those built-in shelves in particular!

Jay, the realtor just always says "they said the kitchen was too small." It's never anything concrete enough that we can address specifically.
As with everything, it's the illusion of having more space. Moving the microwave gives the illusion of a lot more space than having that counter clutter free actually gives you. Putting a few shelves on the wall and filling them with a few nice things or having some shelving and putting a few things on them gives an illusion as well. Don't want the illusion of no storage space. The

A butcher block counter could be extended from the sink easily enough eighough adding extra cabinets below that would block light. And if you added cabinets below, it would make the small kitchen feel even smaller. But lengthening the counter would give you great extra counter space.

Based on the pictures of some of the other rooms in your house, they each have some sort of wow factor. You kitchen is seriously lacking that wow factor. Personally I would do the cubby shelving in the corner recessed area to the left of the paper towel holder. And I would repaint both the kitchen and the cabinets. Nothing bold for the space is small, but it needs some pizzaz. Do colors that compliment the butcher clock counter.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:05 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,422,165 times
You should have a microwave installed over the stove, I believe its called Spacemaker---for a reason!
also, hat empty space under the window actually makes the place look smaller. If you could have the counters extended to flow as one piece, otherwise, some sort of table or counter-top.

For my part, I would prefer such a compact kitchen. I have mobility issues and find a small kitchen easier to navigate, clean, etc.

Oh, also, you need some sort of color break in the kitchen. The white and wood is somewhat monotonous. Perhaps Something red? Just a few pictures, towels, knick knacks, etc I highly suggest shopping thrift stores, you can find a lot of stuff cheap. A few plants, greenery never hurts!

I'm sure your home will sell, give it time

Old 05-11-2015, 03:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 40,472,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Empty spaces are hard to visualize, especially small rooms with no furniture, a kitchen like that is not.
I disagree. People are having a hard time figuring out how that kitchen would work for them. That is a buyer visualization issue. The kitchen looks sterile, and t wouldn't be a place someone would want to hang out and cook. Buyers aren't going to say to the OP, "your kitchen lacks color and feels blah to me."

Make it cozy and charming, and the OP will find a buyer. I sell a lot of old homes, and my office was built in 1895. The kitchen needs to look cozy and welcoming and it will overcome the smallness.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:12 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,422,165 times
Here's a thought---how about a window seat under the window? Perhaps cover the window seat with some sort of bright, bold fabric and/or toss pillows. It makes it look like there's room to spare!

Old 05-11-2015, 03:29 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,979,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
I would remove the microwave, cutting board, towel dispenser, and knife holder, basically everything you can, make it Spartan. Do you have a dishwashing machine? I might also try to match the fridge and stove. My wife couldn't live in a place with mismatched appliances. When we were trying to sell our townhouse after two months I went through it and just took our everything except the bare minimum and we had first offer right afterwards.

Not me. I'm just grateful to have WORKING appliances. I must still be a broke college student at heart After I graduated from college, the very first things I purchased (no, not a nicer car to replace my half dead hoopty), but a used washer and dryer. I refused to schlep my tons of dirty laundry back and forth to the stupid laundromat even one more time.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:59 PM

I think any of these would be beautiful in that kitchen, and give it a huge face lift. (Will have to do in a few posts because I can't seem to attch more than 1 photo at a time in my iPad for some reason.)
Attached Thumbnails
Struggling to sell house with small kitchen-image.jpg  

Old 05-11-2015, 04:00 PM

Color for the walls.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-11-2015, 04:02 PM

And this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate