Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 09:21 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I think this has been mentioned other times too...the photos do not confirm or even suggest that the main home has electric baseboard heating. scissors says the rest of the house has radiators. Well the baseboard type units ARE radiators and to me they look like they are part of an oil fired hot water heating system. A huge percentage of homes in NE have exactly the same radiators as part of an oil or gas system.

Previously I asked about the possibility of electric heat in the barn because of the OP's comment about a gas heater being removed and it's probably fair to say that the barn does not have its own 'proper' furnace. So I assumed that it is heated by electric or currently unheated (yikes pipes).

Forgive me if i've missed it but I don't believe that there is anything that suggests that main rooms in the main house are heated by electric baseboard heaters and this would be very unusual in a large New England home so I don't know why anyone would assume this. Again, sorry if the OP confirmed this and I missed it.
Maybe you guys in New England have your own terminology and call everything radiators. Or maybe you all use some type of baseboard gas or hot water or steam systems heating which looks like electric in bad photos.

I didn't assume anything. The Electric Baseboard Heat is in photos #5&6 - which, apparently is the addition.

Which is exactly what I stated. And I never "assumed" the entire house was heated by baseboard electric since you can SEE the radiators in the other rooms. I even commented that there were radiators in all the other rooms in my post #69, and that they were preferable to me over BASEBOARD [electric] heating.

#5&6 are NOT "radiators" which you can see in the other rooms of the house.

To me, having lived in every circa type of house in the Philadelphia area for decades....A radiator looks like THIS:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...wozijrgw8a.jpg

Designer Radiators | Tall Vertical Bathroom Radiator | Hot Water Rads

Steam Radiators vs. Hot Water Radiators: Which Is Best?

Electric Baseboard Heater looks like this, matching the photos in the OP listing -where I come from:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Electric...aters-20660000

Of course the agent thought she could get away with ignoring the systems of the house and never mentioned them except for "Cooling: Unknown".

Unknown indeed.

THIS discussion is a perfect example of why so many people are confused about this property and why potential buyers may just pass it by.

PROTIP: If you want to sell a house from 1825 in New England with some type of non-electric baseboard heating you may want to LIST the type of heating it is, before other experienced home buyers who know about circa 1825 houses think it's electric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 09:40 AM

174 posts, read 170,273 times
MLS states "Heat Zones: 3 Hot Water Baseboard, Hot Water Radiators, Steam, Oil". Also states hot water is heated via electric.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:41 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
In my opinion, the kitchen looks like it has formica countertops and out of date cabinets. That could be setting buyers off.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:50 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
I don't think the price is too far out of line for the market. I know Hingham very well. There's a street named after my family.

Folks buy antique houses all the time in New England. Heck.... most of our existing housing stock is antique!
I have one myself with all the crazy room sizes that come with it.

Listing description is garbage. You need Feature/Benefit, Feature/Benefit.

Pictures could be much better. Personally, I'd like to see springtime pictures with lots of colorful flowers (think Cape Coddy).

As for the readers here.. ...there are lots of inground pools in Hingham and neighboring communities. Ocean water is pretty cold compared to south-facing beaches on the Cape. And who wants to deal with beach traffic!?!?!

Any buyer who is looking for open floor plan, walk-out basement, etc. is not going to come to see your property. So appeal to the antique house lovers out there!

Old 01-27-2018, 10:45 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMoves View Post
MLS states "Heat Zones: 3 Hot Water Baseboard, Hot Water Radiators, Steam, Oil". Also states hot water is heated via electric.
I guess that settles it. The radiators in photos 5&6 are hot water baseboard. Just about every home in NE has them. They are just typical.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 AM

30 posts, read 38,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I couldn't see a fence surrounding the entire pool; just part of it; and if I were interested in the home, I would definitely want a complete fence around the pool area.

Is there a garage? I didn't see one. That could be a turn-off for which you might have to compensate by lowering the price.
There is a one car garage with a kitchen area (sink/fridge) in the back that leads out to the pool. The area around the pool is fenced in. I don't know why it was photo shopped out of the listing picture.

Here are some additional pictures to clarify some of the questions:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Old 01-27-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMoves View Post
That's right. The house has steam heat and the addition has forced hot water, not electric.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:09 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Personally.....
I'd put it back on the market and drop the price $10k per week until it sells. There is a point where a buyer will say, I gotta have it and that will be the price its worth. Looks like you bought it for 1,150,000 in 2007, so you have plenty of wiggle room.
Bad strategy. When there is a constant cutting of price like this, is it send a message to potential buyers. It is: This house is overpriced. The seller knows it is overpriced, and cutting the price every week, so don't buy now, as the home will be $40,000 cheaper in a month. Even interested buyers, will wait to see how cheap they can buy the home.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Listing description is garbage. You need Feature/Benefit, Feature/Benefit.

Pictures could be much better. Personally, I'd like to see springtime pictures with lots of colorful flowers (think Cape Coddy).

As for the readers here.. ...there are lots of inground pools in Hingham and neighboring communities. Ocean water is pretty cold compared to south-facing beaches on the Cape. And who wants to deal with beach traffic!?!?!

Any buyer who is looking for open floor plan, walk-out basement, etc. is not going to come to see your property. So appeal to the antique house lovers out there!
The listing and the pictures seem to suck the life out of the house and it presents as flat and lifeless to me. You don't see the blue hydrangeas, climbing pink roses, overflowing window boxes, or the peony garden. There's a beautiful conifer garden in front of the barn that infused with coleus that lasts until the first frost in the fall. That garden is the one and only 'stunning' thing about this house. Nothing else at all is stunning about it. Charming best describes it's character.

The previous owner lived there for 22 years and tried to carry forward some of the things she liked into her next home. A year after moving in she told me that she failed miserably in that attempt since the best and most important feature of this house is its quality of light, they way the sun travels around it during the day. And it's usually accessed by South Pleasant Street, which is one of the prettiest roads in Hingham, like stepping back in time. I'll miss walking in the 300 acre forest that you enter at the end of the driveway.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
In my opinion, the kitchen looks like it has formica countertops and out of date cabinets. That could be setting buyers off.
The countertops are all granite. Butcher block on the island. Cabinets are all hard wood. Dated, but not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate