Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 01:50 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And leaves behind a film of dirt thus the need to scrub the tub periodically.
You dont scrub your shower periodically? Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 01:55 PM

571 posts, read 321,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
It's not a truth that baths are "dirty" as you stated even with a disclaimer. It's also not a truth that everyone takes a shower and baths are obselete. It is true that showers are the preferred bathing methods of prisons....
To an extent, I agree with you. While I don't enjoy taking baths due to dirty water, water getting cold, feeling unclean after the fact, etc., I do enjoy taking a full body soak in a hot tub of chlorinated water. So if that qualifies as a vote for the "tub" crowd, then count me in.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:27 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I don't understand why so many people think it's an either/or thing. Like either you can have a large, walk-in shower OR a tub. I have both - a large jetted tub and a large walk in shower. I also have 2 sinks and a large linen closet. All in my master. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I don't live in a luxury home or anything. But we do have a really big kitchen and really big master bath. It's one of the reasons we bought this house.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:32 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
My shower is large enough for a portable bench/seat. If I want to "soak" my sore back, I just position the showerhead and the bench so the hot water is right on the sore part and I sit there. I can also run the water hotter on the one spot than I could have it, sitting in it. Works for me.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
We've been through this a few times and it's a good discussion.

Me personally? My master shower isn't large but there's a really nice jacuzzi tub separate.

I'm sure some people would gut the tub and make it into an amazing shower.

But me personally, I lovvvvve having a jacuzzi tub, even if I don't use it that much.

It's like having a spa in your own bathroom.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I don't understand why so many people think it's an either/or thing. Like either you can have a large, walk-in shower OR a tub. I have both - a large jetted tub and a large walk in shower. I also have 2 sinks and a large linen closet. All in my master. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I don't live in a luxury home or anything. But we do have a really big kitchen and really big master bath. It's one of the reasons we bought this house.
Because of the original complaint in the OP. People are ripping out tubs to make shower only bathrooms. It's a trend. We bought a condo as an investment at a beach town and so many had been "improved" by tearing out baths and putting in showers only. I can't tell you how much I despise that. Almost as much as wall to wall carpet.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:29 PM

571 posts, read 321,821 times
Quote:
Because of the original complaint in the OP. People are ripping out tubs to make shower only bathrooms. It's a trend. We bought a condo as an investment at a beach town and so many had been "improved" by tearing out baths and putting in showers only. I can't tell you how much I despise that. Almost as much as wall to wall carpet.
Why wouldn't you rip out the shower and replace it with a tub? It seems to me that people are simply doing what best suits them while living in the home.

What really sucks is for people who prefer showers that replace their tubs with showers. Technically that takes your bathroom down to a 3/4 bath. Though some who put in big walk-in showers will still list them as full baths. I think it shouldn't matter, just so long as you have a full body washing contraption installed in the room.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSudo View Post
Why wouldn't you rip out the shower and replace it with a tub? It seems to me that people are simply doing what best suits them while living in the home.

What really sucks is for people who prefer showers that replace their tubs with showers. Technically that takes your bathroom down to a 3/4 bath. Though some who put in big walk-in showers will still list them as full baths. I think it shouldn't matter, just so long as you have a full body washing contraption installed in the room.
It's not always cost effective to rip out all the showers with hideous blocky benches and the requisite circa 2013 accent stripe of tile or the circa 2015 accent inset soap alcove with contrasting tile. If you are investing you often don't want to redo recent renovations.

People feel strongly about this. Best to have both for any possibility of resale. Master baths should have both imho. I hate showers and have not used one for years but I still dont think they should not be available. If I was a single woman having a shower only master or shower only bathrooms would be a deal breaker for me with a potential mate. I kid you not. That's how much I hate them. But I still think every bathroom should have both choices.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:47 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Well, why shouldn't people rip out a tub if they are never going to use it and prefer a large shower?

Old 09-19-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Well, why shouldn't people rip out a tub if they are never going to use it and prefer a large shower?
People will do whatever they want. But when you take our a normal component of a bathroom you shut out buyers who expect to have that normal component.

Most people move and don't stay put forever. And eventually we all die and someone is left cleaning up our estate for sale. It's costly to replace a tub or do a full bath reno. And though I passionately hate showers my bath rooms will contain them. Brcause they are a normal thing to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate