U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2019, 08:08 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,624 posts, read 8,165,737 times
Reputation: 4098

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Because of the original complaint in the OP. People are ripping out tubs to make shower only bathrooms. It's a trend. We bought a condo as an investment at a beach town and so many had been "improved" by tearing out baths and putting in showers only. I can't tell you how much I despise that. Almost as much as wall to wall carpet.


So your argument is:







Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2019, 08:09 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,624 posts, read 8,165,737 times
Reputation: 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Got it. You will never purchase my house, visit my house, or be my friend. I can live with that.

Meanwhile, I am very happy with my master bathroom with its oversized shower. Multiple heads, lots of room, I could put a bench in it if I were so inclined. A long hot steamy shower, with a nice cold beer, is luxurious and relaxing.


I'm a big craft beer fan, but I'll admit I never got the appeal of "shower beers".


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 08:19 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
29,164 posts, read 63,380,721 times
Reputation: 33484
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
...I never got the appeal of "shower beers".
You're all hot and sweaty from whatever and on the way to the showers you grab a cold one.
As mentioned earlier... a mug of coffee with the early AM wake up shower is nice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,624 posts, read 8,165,737 times
Reputation: 4098
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You're all hot and sweaty from whatever and on the way to the showers you grab a cold one.
As mentioned earlier... a mug of coffee with the early AM wake up shower is nice too.


Nope, don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm not much for long showers. I can wait 10 mins for a beer or a cup of coffee. Then I don't need to worry about water or soap getting in my beverage, either.


If you like it, knock yourself out. I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 09:05 AM
 
9,759 posts, read 4,432,321 times
Reputation: 11217
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There seems to be a trend to eliminate the option of a tub in the master bath in favor of a large luxury shower. This is true in Active Adult communities as well as all-ages communities.

As an older person, I am distressed by the lack of a bathtub in the master. I sometimes need a good soak in order to relieve arthritis. I also like to hand-wash sweaters and lingerie in the bath tub.

Yes, I know I could usually do those things in the guest bath, but I am distressed that major mid-range builders are no longer offering choices in the master bath.
I have not read the replies, but can say that aside from the desire of many people to have a trendy large luxury shower (or just a regular walk in shower), older people might also need a shower vs. a tub.
Why?
Simple, because many get to the point of being unstable on their feet, and having to step over and out of a tub with wet feet, can be hazardous.
Plus squatting down to sit or trying to get up from a low sitting position in the typical tub becomes difficult, if not impossible.

Many will install grab rails, but would prefer to just walk in vs. stepping over a slipping hazard. Hence the walk in tubs with a door to allow easy access.
Now even those tubs are coming with shower arms as an option because while many older people like to soak in warm jetted water, they also like to be able to get a quick shower, instead of the time it takes to fill and drain a tub every time they want to get cleaned up.

I also think that the reason a tub is more typically in the guest bathroom is in case guests have kids that need to be bathed. Of course young couples also want a tub to bath their own kids. I have some rental properties, and rest assured the aforementioned issues are brought up to me on a regular basis.


`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 01:34 PM
 
1,070 posts, read 734,857 times
Reputation: 946
My bathroom is rather larger in My new build 10x11. We didn't put a tub in. There is defiantly room for it, we opted for a 7x5 shower instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 01:36 PM
 
71 posts, read 17,838 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Nope, don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm not much for long showers. I can wait 10 mins for a beer or a cup of coffee. Then I don't need to worry about water or soap getting in my beverage, either.


If you like it, knock yourself out. I'll pass.
I've only tried it a couple times after a hard workout and I was hungry and needed something to help satiate the craving. It was everything you could imagine and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM
Status: "Sarcasm is my superpower." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Tucson Arizona
4,109 posts, read 1,773,055 times
Reputation: 10743
We bought an older house this year with a huge tub and tiny shower in the master. I was excited about that tub, but have never gotten to take a bath in it due to multiple plumbing problems. Instead I shower in a teensy stall less than 30 x 30".

I do have options, including using the guest bath, which has a shower/tub, and calling yet another plumber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
34,028 posts, read 59,174,530 times
Reputation: 32952
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We bought an older house this year with a huge tub and tiny shower in the master. I was excited about that tub, but have never gotten to take a bath in it due to multiple plumbing problems. Instead I shower in a teensy stall less than 30 x 30".

I do have options, including using the guest bath, which has a shower/tub, and calling yet another plumber.

I call them "Superman in a Phone Booth" showers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 03:10 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
29,164 posts, read 63,380,721 times
Reputation: 33484
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I do have options, including using the guest bath, which has a shower/tub, and calling yet another plumber.
How about installing a floor drain and making the entire bathroom floor into one big shower pan.
It worked well when I remodeled an RV and disposed of that superman phone booth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top