Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Because of the original complaint in the OP. People are ripping out tubs to make shower only bathrooms. It's a trend. We bought a condo as an investment at a beach town and so many had been "improved" by tearing out baths and putting in showers only. I can't tell you how much I despise that. Almost as much as wall to wall carpet.

So your argument is:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Got it. You will never purchase my house, visit my house, or be my friend. I can live with that.

Meanwhile, I am very happy with my master bathroom with its oversized shower. Multiple heads, lots of room, I could put a bench in it if I were so inclined. A long hot steamy shower, with a nice cold beer, is luxurious and relaxing.

I'm a big craft beer fan, but I'll admit I never got the appeal of "shower beers".

Old 09-20-2019, 08:19 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
...I never got the appeal of "shower beers".
You're all hot and sweaty from whatever and on the way to the showers you grab a cold one.
As mentioned earlier... a mug of coffee with the early AM wake up shower is nice too.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You're all hot and sweaty from whatever and on the way to the showers you grab a cold one.
As mentioned earlier... a mug of coffee with the early AM wake up shower is nice too.

Nope, don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm not much for long showers. I can wait 10 mins for a beer or a cup of coffee. Then I don't need to worry about water or soap getting in my beverage, either.

If you like it, knock yourself out. I'll pass.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:05 AM

16,561 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There seems to be a trend to eliminate the option of a tub in the master bath in favor of a large luxury shower. This is true in Active Adult communities as well as all-ages communities.

As an older person, I am distressed by the lack of a bathtub in the master. I sometimes need a good soak in order to relieve arthritis. I also like to hand-wash sweaters and lingerie in the bath tub.

Yes, I know I could usually do those things in the guest bath, but I am distressed that major mid-range builders are no longer offering choices in the master bath.
I have not read the replies, but can say that aside from the desire of many people to have a trendy large luxury shower (or just a regular walk in shower), older people might also need a shower vs. a tub.
Why?
Simple, because many get to the point of being unstable on their feet, and having to step over and out of a tub with wet feet, can be hazardous.
Plus squatting down to sit or trying to get up from a low sitting position in the typical tub becomes difficult, if not impossible.

Many will install grab rails, but would prefer to just walk in vs. stepping over a slipping hazard. Hence the walk in tubs with a door to allow easy access.
Now even those tubs are coming with shower arms as an option because while many older people like to soak in warm jetted water, they also like to be able to get a quick shower, instead of the time it takes to fill and drain a tub every time they want to get cleaned up.

I also think that the reason a tub is more typically in the guest bathroom is in case guests have kids that need to be bathed. Of course young couples also want a tub to bath their own kids. I have some rental properties, and rest assured the aforementioned issues are brought up to me on a regular basis.

`

Old 09-20-2019, 01:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,327,622 times
My bathroom is rather larger in My new build 10x11. We didn't put a tub in. There is defiantly room for it, we opted for a 7x5 shower instead.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:36 PM

571 posts, read 321,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Nope, don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm not much for long showers. I can wait 10 mins for a beer or a cup of coffee. Then I don't need to worry about water or soap getting in my beverage, either.

If you like it, knock yourself out. I'll pass.
I've only tried it a couple times after a hard workout and I was hungry and needed something to help satiate the craving. It was everything you could imagine and more.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
We bought an older house this year with a huge tub and tiny shower in the master. I was excited about that tub, but have never gotten to take a bath in it due to multiple plumbing problems. Instead I shower in a teensy stall less than 30 x 30".

I do have options, including using the guest bath, which has a shower/tub, and calling yet another plumber.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:02 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We bought an older house this year with a huge tub and tiny shower in the master. I was excited about that tub, but have never gotten to take a bath in it due to multiple plumbing problems. Instead I shower in a teensy stall less than 30 x 30".

I do have options, including using the guest bath, which has a shower/tub, and calling yet another plumber.

I call them "Superman in a Phone Booth" showers.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
How about installing a floor drain and making the entire bathroom floor into one big shower pan.
It worked well when I remodeled an RV and disposed of that superman phone booth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate