Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:44 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I've made several posts that have to deal with the passive-aggressiveness and condescension of your posts.

But, please keep talking about dirty baths
IAM being condescending because I feel baths are superior. And I am strongly opposed to this trend of removing the option. It lacks taste. So please, keep poking me to let me tell you more about how I feel. I will happily continue to look down on your shower preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 08:16 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
People will do whatever they want. But when you take our a normal component of a bathroom you shut out buyers who expect to have that normal component.

Most people move and don't stay put forever. And eventually we all die and someone is left cleaning up our estate for sale. It's costly to replace a tub or do a full bath reno. And though I passionately hate showers my bath rooms will contain them. Brcause they are a normal thing to have.
Quote:
These shower only people really do not understand the joys of a good soak. And they take away the choice from those if us who do.
Quote:
I count no one in my circle of close friends who does not enjoy and own a bathtub which they use often.

Got it. You will never purchase my house, visit my house, or be my friend. I can live with that.

Meanwhile, I am very happy with my master bathroom with its oversized shower. Multiple heads, lots of room, I could put a bench in it if I were so inclined. A long hot steamy shower, with a nice cold beer, is luxurious and relaxing.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:22 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Got it. You will never purchase my house, visit my house, or be my friend. I can live with that.

Meanwhile, I am very happy with my master bathroom with its oversized shower. Multiple heads, lots of room, I could put a bench in it if I were so inclined. A long hot steamy shower, with a nice cold beer, is luxurious and relaxing.
Beer in the shower? Uh yeah....you do that.
(Shudder)

Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
We remodeled our master bath to make it wheelchair accessible, including a curbless shower. We're looking forward to ageing in place and hiring home help when necessary. The remodel required an addition and cost me $58k, but as I pointed out to the contractor, one more year at home rather than in assisted living would pay for the whole project.

There's a nice, roomy tub in the guest bath if someone wants to use it. In the last two years, no one has.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Baths and bathing are synonyms for cleaning.....not dirtying.

If you are so covered with filth on a regular basis that you require a hose down, sure a shower makes sense. But I personally don't have that issue.

Showers are for those in a hurry with very little inclination to relax, reflect or contemplate. They are uncivilized.

I count no one in my circle of close friends who does not enjoy and own a bathtub which they use often. I abhor this shower only trend. It's really one of those line in the sand issues for me. I can't get along with people who don't understand why baths are superior. They just do not get life. And they are encouraging cheap builders to ignore a long standing bathroom norm in favor of a trend. I still have a shower in my master bath even though I don't use it. Because this house won't always belong to me. Don't take away a pleasure from someone else in your "not forever " home. It's short sighted.
Showers are also for those who have skin problems and don’t do well stewing in very hard water for some indeterminate period. No, I don’t want to relax in a bath because it means my skin is going to be that much worse afterward. I don’t think showering is a “trend†here in the US. Most people shower instead of bathe and with an aging population, the easily accessible walk-in shower with shower chair/bench option is only going to become more popular.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:42 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
https://www.housebeautiful.com/home-...tub-vs-shower/

People still want tubs.

Showers are not relaxing. I love a good sauna where I can sit and sweat but a showers like a punishment. Prisoners don't get baths. They are forced to take showers. Locker rooms have showers. A bath is a pleasant relaxing experience. A soak is excellent for skin, sore muscles and just time to yourself.

It doesn't hurt that my mate is half Japanese and grew up with a mom who was obsessed with a good tub. He rarely takes a shower and will only do so if he's in a huge hurry.
If your mate's mother is Japanese, she'll want a true soaking tub and for the person using it to be fully clean prior to entering the tub. In addition, she'll want the temperature of the tub to stay hot throughout the bathing time. That's what I used in Japan. Every home has a soaking tub, and people must be clean in order to use it. The water is not drained on a daily basis, nor does it need to be, since one must clean off before soaking.

It's difficult here in the U.S. to find a great Japanese soaking tub, combined with a bathroom with a drain in the floor for the dirty water. Not impossible, but very rare.

In the meantime, my ideal would be a luxurious shower for two (mostly for cleaning) and a Japanese soaking tub (also for two, but not too big) to occasionally use afterwards. The worst part of taking a bath here in the U.S. is that the water cools off too quickly in a typical tub.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:22 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Shower?
Tub?

I don't care. I just want the guy in the seat next to me on the plane not to smell like he rolled in the cat pee in his carpet.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Beer in the shower? Uh yeah....you do that.
(Shudder)
Hot coffee works too with the early AM wash

Old 09-20-2019, 06:52 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Then buy a house with a tub. Most people seldom if ever use the tub so it's rather silly to have one in every house.
The fact that anyone is "distressed" about this is beyond me... I just bought a house. Looked at many. Saw exactly ZERO with no bath tub in the master bathroom.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:25 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
I AM being condescending because I feel baths are superior.
I'll be condescending too because I don't agree.

As a therapeutic or recreational venue... sure. A good soak in a hot bath tub is just fine.
And every house should have a tub (somewhere) in order to do this.

But as regards hygiene, especially the day to day sort, they're inferior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate