Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Online I was reading that you should cover the pan with plastic wrap then foil on top which is what I am going to do.
Plastic wrap in the oven? Gooey meltdown? Not very flavorful ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
yeah I don't understand the plastic wrap anywhere near heat. What a mess that would be.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yeah I don't understand the plastic wrap anywhere near heat. What a mess that would be.
No it will not....

Chef's trick..

Plastic wrap,, topped with shiny side up foil....crimped/wrapped/folded----whatever the term is in your state??...

Make sues it's crmped all around...

If you can use a throw away pan from the store

Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Plastic wrap in the oven? Gooey meltdown? Not very flavorful ...
I have seen it done on food network and diners drive ins and dives and I also saw an online video from a woman who owns a restaurant in texas.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:01 AM

I decided I am not going to use the plastic wrap I read online that if if the cheap plastic wrap and not the commercial grade used it restaurants it will melt.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
With all due respect you've never tasted mine which has for years received accolades from hundreds of smokehouse/BBQ aficionados (including many Texans who of course think they know everything there is to know on the subject) !!!
With all due respect us Texans have access to a much larger sampling of people than the Virgin Islands do! We're not talking about recipes for cooking brisket which I'm sure there are many fairly good ones. You're talking about using BBQ sauce as a marinade or brine. (Dry rubs are best in our opinion for the brisket.) Would your Brisket taste differently if you added the sauce afterwards instead of basting the brisket in it?

No here in Texas we use an excellent dry rub on our brisket. Then we wrap it in foil and most would cook it on the pit. We however know it comes out just as well in the oven. Always excellent flavor and fall apart tender. The "Sauce" is left as an additional level of flavor as a condiment for example. Left as an option so people can taste the wonderful flavor of the meat before drowning it in condiments! This is on brisket only. Sausages and chicken etc. we will coat with sauce while in last stage of cooking. So go ahead and please your limited fans and we'll please ours!
I'm sure you weren't trying to say Virgin Islanders should be better acquainted with bbq than Texans...?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM

OK people I just took the brisket out of the oven to check it,3:26 pm EST. I Used the themometer and it's done! My mom and I took a taste and it's like butter and falling apart. I am so happy because I was having anxiety about it last night. I take pride in what I cook and I was worried about it since I had never made it before. I have it coverd in foil until ready to carve.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
You're talking about using BBQ sauce as a marinade or brine.
No I'm not. You obviously didn't even read my recipe. The sauce was added at the very end. Read again.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
OK people I just took the brisket out of the oven to check it,3:26 pm EST. I Used the themometer and it's done! My mom and I took a taste and it's like butter and falling apart. I am so happy because I was having anxiety about it last night. I take pride in what I cook and I was worried about it since I had never made it before. I have it coverd in foil until ready to carve.
Wonderful! Enjoy!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Well brisket was a huge hit!!! I made 12 lbs of brisket and there is about 1 lb left. I thought I made too much LOL people were going for seconds and thirds. Thanks for the recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes