Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 03:30 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times

Advertisements

Here's my go-to recipe
Eggs from Hell
12 boiled and peeled eggs, halved and separated
Combine yolks with 1/2 cup sour cream and 3 tablespoons lime juice (or white vinegar).
Stir in 1/4 cup chopped green onions, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, and 4 Jalapenos** stemmed seeded and minced.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Fill egg white halves, garnish with Jalapeno rounds or radish slices.
** For wimp flavor ( ), use 4 ounce can of diced Ortegas, drained very very well.

PS - take your eggs out of the fridge and onto the drainboard 3 days before boiling. The air cell gets bigger with age and makes them easier to peel. (My company car had the license plate EggLdy for over 20 years, LOL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 03:43 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Anchovy paste can be used to add depth of flavor to many things and you'll never really taste it as 'anchovy'. It works well beaten into the egg(s) you use to bind meatloaf and I always put a dab in olive tapenade,
We love it in our home made Caesar dressing, so it makes sense we'd like it in some things we hadn't thought of.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
The recipe shared by the OP sounds yummy, I love bacon.

Having a hard time believing that bacon won't taste good on eggs. Everything's better with bacon - culinary rule 101.

-signed,

Maple Bacon Crunch Ice Cream Afficionado

Old 08-06-2014, 06:00 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
I ad sweet pickle relish to mine also

Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
OP, thanks . I printed it out..

Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Default Deviled Eggs

Easter will be upon us in a couple of weeks, and I am the designated deviled egg maker in my family.

Its fine when I make them at my house as I have plenty of trays conducive to serving them. Others have given me containers etc for carrying them to other homes, but none of them work well.

Does anyone have a deviled egg tray/carrier that they use for taking these to other peoples homes that work well. One you have bought recently and is still available?

In the meantime, what is your recipe for deviled eggs? I love my basic recipe, but I have been seeing other recipes like using avocado and other stuff and am thinking about changing up my basic recipe at least for a part of my eggs.

My recipe is as follows after boiling/peeling eggs.

First, I boil about 6 extra eggs where I give my hubby the whites as he wont eat the yellows, so for about a dozen and a half eggs, I have 6 extra yolks. Which, my granny always told me to add extra yolks anyway, so that works.

Anyway, once I peel, slice and extract the yolks, I mash the yolks with a potato masher.

Then I add about 2 heaping tbsps. of homemade chow chow which is green tomatoe relish which has a bite of pepper to it. If I don't have that on hand, I use green pickle relish.

Then about a tsp of yellow mustard, as much for the color as a bit of bite.

I liberally salt and pepper across the bowl. I add about a tbsp. of sugar.

Stir all that up and then add mayo until desired consistency.

Sometimes I use a piping tool to fill the egg whites.
Usually, I just use a teaspoon from my flatware to scoop the filling into the eggs.

Then I dust liberally with paprika.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
This is the carrier I have. I actually have 2 sets of 2 and have stacked 4 of them to carry at one time.

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-Stack-Fo.../dp/B00PLZZSPQ

I use the food processor to make mine, they are really smooth. I am not a fan of pickles or relish or peppers so mine are fairly basic but I use a little bit of chinese hot mustard powder for a little extra kick. I use paprika sometimes but I also like to use minced chives.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:33 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This is the carrier I have. I actually have 2 sets of 2 and have stacked 4 of them to carry at one time.

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-Stack-Fo.../dp/B00PLZZSPQ

I use the food processor to make mine, they are really smooth. I am not a fan of pickles or relish or peppers so mine are fairly basic but I use a little bit of chinese hot mustard powder for a little extra kick. I use paprika sometimes but I also like to use minced chives.

That looks like a great carrier for deviled eggs. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I have a round 3-in-1 carrier. It holds a cake, but also has an insert each for cupcakes and deviled eggs.

Similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cake-Carrier-.../dp/B0198OKG5W

My filling is really basic. Yolk, mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, all to taste. I garnish with whatever. Paprika, sliced olive, chopped relish, fresh snipped chives, fresh snipped dill, whatever.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I just did some wasabi and green onion deviled eggs that turned out well.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes