Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

There is no way a judge would let him have the rings back. An engagement ring is given in contemplation of marriage and in some circumstances in some states it's a returnable item if the marriage doesn't take place but in all my long years I've never heard of anyone getting the wedding band returned. It's not relevant but what an incredibly tacky cheapskate your ex is and how very fortunate for you that you're not with him any more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 09:20 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,605 times
STT I already gave them back, in exchange for the non-contact order to be incorporated into the divorce decree.

I have not seen him in 2 years, he called me back in August to threaten my life and job so I got a lawyer and set aside the divorce for him to get the rings back.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I wouldn't ask for it back, because it would not be worth very much. It is funny how the corporations have brainwashed Americans into spending a huge amount of money on a ring.

Where I am from, there are no "rocks". Only a simple gold band. It really should not matter if you truly love each other.

I can already see the women in this thread foaming at the mouth when talking about taking away their precious stones.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,605 times
DrEarth I am not foaming. I just wanted to know if it is normal

no need for women bashing here

Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
I agree for the most part that it's tacky but one exception would be if the wedding ring was a family heirloom passed down from a relative. In that case it's not just about money but about sentimentality and heritage. I could understand someone fighting tooth and nail to have it returned.

However, this doesn't seem to be applicable to the OP (since the ex brought it up 2 years later instead of immediately).

Old 10-16-2010, 10:25 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
ask for the wedding and engagement rings back?

My exhusband set aside the divorce , and in the new settlement asked for the rings back.

I think is very tacky.

Apparently he is getting married again and is going to use the stones and the gold to make a new ring for the new wife
No.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I wouldn't give the rings back. I'd tell my attorney to tell his attorney that you sold the rings. I've never heard of re-opening a case for something like this, how childish...

Old 10-16-2010, 10:45 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
OP, I know you have already given the rings back but this was a total douchebag move on your ex's part. Some will say the engagement ring is legally/technically not yours...blah..blah..blah but you fulfilled a promise to marry him so as far as I'm concerned you earned them....yours to keep. Clearly, he is just grasping at anything to hurt you. Consider it a small price to pay to rid yourself of him and you are better off for not having him in your life anymore.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:13 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
You gave him you're rings in exchange for a no-contact order in the divorce decree, I'm bewildered?

I'm not a lawyer but how long were the no contact provisions for? After 2 years, I would think the no contact would have expired, its not a life-time guarantee.

Quote:
STT I already gave them back, in exchange for the non-contact order to be incorporated into the divorce decree.

I have not seen him in 2 years, he called me back in August to threaten my life and job so I got a lawyer and set aside the divorce for him to get the rings back.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
ask for the wedding and engagement rings back?

My exhusband set aside the divorce , and in the new settlement asked for the rings back.

I think is very tacky.

Apparently he is getting married again and is going to use the stones and the gold to make a new ring for the new wife

He is a cheap ba$tard. Did he tell his new wife that she is getting a ring that used to belong to his EX-WIFE!!!!!!! If I was the new wife and some guy gave me his ex-wife's refurbished ring I would tell him to shove it up his a$$.
The only time an engagement ring should be given back is when an engagement is broken. The rings are yours to keep. Sell them right away or just tell him you lost them....they fell down the drain
I am so sorry you are going through this. He sounds like a jerk and I'm sure you'll be better off without him.

Edited: I just read that you gave them back....too bad. Could you not have just gotten a restraining order if he threatened to kill you. Al in all he sounds like a real prince.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-16-2010 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships