Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've seen this happen often enough that I know there's not a thing you can do about it except to suck it up. He may have plenty of family but he doesn't get the kind of attn from them that he does from her and it would be weird if he did but that's the way it is. So, STT had some good advice--it's the best you can do right now. And I'm sorry you're losing your dad and now this stress on top of it. Hang in there.

Actually they can take their father to court and have him declared not mentally fit if they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Actually they can take their father to court and have him declared not mentally fit if they want.
If he's mentally fit of course they can't and there's been nothing said on this thread to indicate that he's of anything but sound mind. You can't have someone declared mentally unfit just because you don't agree with their choices.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:18 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If he's mentally fit of course they can't and there's been nothing said on this thread to indicate that he's of anything but sound mind. You can't have someone declared mentally unfit just because you don't agree with their choices.

Of course not,but given his rashness of decisions they do have a decent shot at it.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Of course not,but given his rashness of decisions they do have a decent shot at it.
Don't mean to flog a dead horse but, according to the OP, his father has known the woman for a few months, she is talking to HIM about moving in but he hasn't yet agreed to it so there seems no "rashness of decisions" here whatsoever. If making unwise decisions were a criteria for having someone declared mentally unfit I would have been committed many times over in my life ... as would no doubt a majority of posters on CD!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I would try to keep an eye on her and see if she's trying to rip him off.

But that being said, it's his decision who he has in his life. This is assuming he's got all his faculties of course.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Alterior motives aside, would your father be better off living with her or not? If he'd be better of living with someone why do you care if you're not willing to live with him. He's lonely and she wants a free place to stay. This just might work for both of them.
No he wouldn't be better off. He already has several people (friends, neighbors, church people, relatives) who are a few miles from him. He's got like 20+ people who call or visit from time to time. That may be what keeps her away. With 20 people looking at her, asking about her business being there, she may want to move to the next victim. By not better off, I mean, no one is better off with users in their life.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
No he wouldn't be better off. He already has several people (friends, neighbors, church people, relatives) who are a few miles from him. He's got like 20+ people who call or visit from time to time. That may be what keeps her away. With 20 people looking at her, asking about her business being there, she may want to move to the next victim. By not better off, I mean, no one is better off with users in their life.
Are any of these friends, neighbors and family warming up his bed at night? He may be 65 but he's still a man.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
At this point he's mentally fit, maybe not wise though. But if she moved in and he got sicker, then she's have free run of the place and access to his things (financial papers, valuables) without his knowledge. That is likely to happen in the next year or two.

I would consider moving in at that point.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
No he wouldn't be better off. He already has several people (friends, neighbors, church people, relatives) who are a few miles from him. He's got like 20+ people who call or visit from time to time.
That's great but it's not the same thing as having someone live with you, someone who is constantly there, someone you can really share your life with. I'm not saying you should be okay with freeloaders but obviously, whether you like it or not, she is offering him something he needs or wants, something that even 20+ people who call or visit "from time to time" don't provide. Visitors are nice... but they are not companions.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Maybe he wants someone there. Having people miles away is not the same as having someone live with you. Neither is having frequent visitors.

How many hours out of each day, on average, would you say he has company? How many hours per day would he like company?

She may be using him but he'd be using her too and you shouldn't care as long as he's happy. Just what are you worried she'll do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships