Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:45 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,284 times

Advertisements

A thought not yet expressed is that todays offer of a pay cut and part time work declined could turn into tomorrows pink slip.

I work a few months on and a few months off. At one point the wife wanted me to work down south to avoid the long seperations and I took a nine to five. Think it lasted about 3 months before she figured out that she saw me more as things were before and it was back to fishing. Learned some things about being home long times at a stretch.

The first few days are sensational. Then you start looking around for something to do. Myself I indulged various hobbies some shared with the wife, others not. As a family we did all manner of things. I make enough that the wife never had to think about working and never did so we would take the kids out of school and go. We ventured forth regularly as a couple as well. I think where I'm going is that quality of time is the important thing. Lots of off time looking at the tube is a slit your wrist experience, doing things the opposite. Consider the decline in the elderly when they retire and do nothing as compared to those that are active, big difference.

Touched on but not specifically is that all that time together can be too much time together. Even the most loving of couples is compromised of two people who need at least some me or alone time and when you are both in the same house all day long together you wont be getting it. Hence the seperate hobbies as well as the shared pastimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Regular Guy View Post
My brother makes good money in an important job in corporate America. He was always popular with the ladies partially because he made such good money and was so successful in his career. But now the company he works for is having some difficult times and has offered him the chance to go to part time three days a week, 8 hours a day, 24 hours a week with a thirty percent pay cut. He is seriously thinking about it and wants to kick back and relax on his two new days of freedom (Thursday and Friday).

He makes good money and will easily be able to survvive with his possible new pay cut.

What would you think of a 38 year old man in the peak of his career who only wanted to work 3 days a week and spent Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday basically kicking back and taking it easy? Would his leisurely work schedule make him less attractive when you are working 40 hours plus?
thats fine, more time to spend with gf/fiance/wife/family

guys who spend too much time working (not the demands/needs but when they have a choice) are not attractive to me

Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
i don't care if he doesn't work at all as long as i don't have to support him or pay his way. how much money he has or makes is the least important factor in a relationship

Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
We've gone from 100k to 70k, now ghetto. Really. Some people don't know how to economize their lifestyles.

I separated and divorced within 6months. I moved back into my home. Now, I'm alone and a mortgage to pay. I traded my truck in for a car.

The key to a downsized life is to make a list of wants and needs. You'll find some of the items are wants. Wanting to keep up with the Jones'.
Well, here in this wonderful city the private schools cost 20k/child and if you go to a public school you better live in a select neighborhood or else they will get a subpar education. Rent and mortgage ranges from 3k to 6k and upwards in the nice neighborhoods. Even in the "ghetto" home prices are still 300-400k.

If you don't plan to have kids that is another story, you can exist in a studio or 1 BR apartment just about anywhere. 70k doesn't stretch far with a couple of kids. Other option is to live away from the city and commute 3-4 hrs per day... no thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Well, here in this wonderful city the private schools cost 20k/child and if you go to a public school you better live in a select neighborhood or else they will get a subpar education. Rent and mortgage ranges from 3k to 6k and upwards in the nice neighborhoods. Even in the "ghetto" home prices are still 300-400k.

If you don't plan to have kids that is another story, you can exist in a studio or 1 BR apartment just about anywhere. 70k doesn't stretch far with a couple of kids. Other option is to live away from the city and commute 3-4 hrs per day... no thanks.
I am so not a big city person for many reasons, some of which you laid out nicely.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Would you be attracted to a man who ONLY worked part time but made good money? Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd say "more power to him"! He'd be the ideal BF as he'd have enough time and won't be stressed out. I can only see a bit of a problem as a husband - he may be home too much... Of course, if he helps out with household chores and errands, that'd be great!

Exactly! I can only envy him!
I didn't know until now that a man could be home too much. Does he also need to buy another house so he won't be in his wife's way? Pathetic!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Would you be attracted to a man who ONLY worked part time but made good money? Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Regular Guy View Post
My brother makes good money in an important job in corporate America. He was always popular with the ladies partially because he made such good money and was so successful in his career. But now the company he works for is having some difficult times and has offered him the chance to go to part time three days a week, 8 hours a day, 24 hours a week with a thirty percent pay cut. He is seriously thinking about it and wants to kick back and relax on his two new days of freedom (Thursday and Friday).

He makes good money and will easily be able to survvive with his possible new pay cut.

What would you think of a 38 year old man in the peak of his career who only wanted to work 3 days a week and spent Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday basically kicking back and taking it easy? Would his leisurely work schedule make him less attractive when you are working 40 hours plus?
Are you just a wee bit envious? I say good for him. Why make more money than you really need, just to give it to the government in the form of taxes. Having time off work will give him time to look into a business of his own if he wishes, working for yourself makes more sense than working for someone else.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
A thought not yet expressed is that todays offer of a pay cut and part time work declined could turn into tomorrows pink slip.

I work a few months on and a few months off. At one point the wife wanted me to work down south to avoid the long seperations and I took a nine to five. Think it lasted about 3 months before she figured out that she saw me more as things were before and it was back to fishing. Learned some things about being home long times at a stretch.

The first few days are sensational. Then you start looking around for something to do. Myself I indulged various hobbies some shared with the wife, others not. As a family we did all manner of things. I make enough that the wife never had to think about working and never did so we would take the kids out of school and go. We ventured forth regularly as a couple as well. I think where I'm going is that quality of time is the important thing. Lots of off time looking at the tube is a slit your wrist experience, doing things the opposite. Consider the decline in the elderly when they retire and do nothing as compared to those that are active, big difference.

Touched on but not specifically is that all that time together can be too much time together. Even the most loving of couples is compromised of two people who need at least some me or alone time and when you are both in the same house all day long together you wont be getting it. Hence the seperate hobbies as well as the shared pastimes.
This is an excellent point. Thank God I work for myself with a nice diverse set of clients, but if I were in your brother's shoes, I would use those two extra days a week to do some networking and perhaps pick up some side income as a consultant. He could do that one day a week and use the other free day to do whatever.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post

There is no reason why children who go to public school have to get a "subpar" education. Many world-famous leaders and financially successful people have gotten educations from "subpar" public schools because they cared, and their parents cared enough to make sure they did.

When a kid spends 6 hours a night playing video games, it isn't going to matter much WHAT KIND OF SCHOOL he goes to. Parents need to motivate and engage their children into believing that live-long learning is the most important thing in the world. And if they do that, it doesn't matter a fig what kind of a school they go to.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-13-2011, 03:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There is no reason why children who go to public school have to get a "subpar" education. Many world-famous leaders and financially successful people have gotten educations from "subpar" public schools because they cared, and their parents cared enough to make sure they did.

When a kid spends 6 hours a night playing video games, it isn't going to matter much WHAT KIND OF SCHOOL he goes to. Parents need to motivate and engage their children into believing that live-long learning is the most important thing in the world. And if they do that, it doesn't matter a fig what kind of a school they go to.

20yrsinBranson
Bingo. An involved parent is the most important factor in any child's education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships