Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 02:56 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnursey View Post
Oh, and I'm really sick of hearing about how some wild bar-hopping party animals began acting like responsible caring adults once they got married and had kids. That's great, but Hello!! That's what you are SUPPOSED TO DO if you decide to bring a child into this world. That's not a cause for sainthood. And I know many caring intelligent hard-working individuals who don't have children or don't want to have children —— and they are that way out of their own volition, not because they got knocked up/knocked someone else up and were FORCED to start acting like adults.
The other thing I'm SO SICK of people saying is, "Well, who's gonna take care of you when you're old?" Really???? How selfish is that? Ever heard of long-term care insurance instead of already burdening your child, who you chose to bring into the world?

And I work with a largely geriatric population. Most of them have had children, and it seems that the ones who seem the "loneliest" are the ones who have lost his/her spouse, regardless of whether or not they have had children. (BTW, a lot of the kids live out-of-state, as well).
I hate the logic some people use that getting married and having kids=maturity.

Like you said, the only reason people mature when they have kids is because they're supposed to.

That being said, there are people that have kids but continue to act like wild bar-hopping party animals.

And irresponsible behavior is what caused the pregnancy (if unplanned) in the first place.

I'm never having kids but I don't party.

And I'm glad you pointed out how kids shouldn't be expected to care for their parents when the parents get old.

Everyone has parents. But not everyone has to have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:20 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I hate the logic some people use that getting married and having kids=maturity.

Like you said, the only reason people mature when they have kids is because they're supposed to.

That being said, there are people that have kids but continue to act like wild bar-hopping party animals.

And irresponsible behavior is what caused the pregnancy (if unplanned) in the first place.

I'm never having kids but I don't party.

And I'm glad you pointed out how kids shouldn't be expected to care for their parents when the parents get old.

Everyone has parents. But not everyone has to have kids.
Maybe those people are just jealous that we don't have kids and they do. I don't party either.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Maybe those people are just jealous that we don't have kids and they do. I don't party either.
We have a lot in common. We don't have kids, we don't party, and we're both social outcasts

(according to the line under your name, you're a proud social outcast)

Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,559 times
Heh, funny story.

One time at work I didn't know this woman was interested in me. She was drilling me about finances, my future, the obvious "I'm seeking a man" 20 question game.

When it came around to "Do you like kids?" I answered with "Oh yeah, I'd like to have kids of my own someday." She gave me a blank stare as if she didn't understand what I meant, so I elaborated a bit more "You know, my own kids, as in from conception to birth, and raising them?" The look went from blank to angry as she stomped off.

Days after I would get scowling looks from her clique (gladly most of them quit or got fired by now) as it turns out she was a single mother of 3, and she was only 23. Heh, I didn't feel bad though I was just being honest, haha.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:02 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,695,020 times
So men think there's an ulterior motive to asking about finances, or future? Men lump all women into some sort of category and all we think about is :"I'm seeking a man"?? Hmmmm, interesting.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
Heh, funny story.

One time at work I didn't know this woman was interested in me. She was drilling me about finances, my future, the obvious "I'm seeking a man" 20 question game.

When it came around to "Do you like kids?" I answered with "Oh yeah, I'd like to have kids of my own someday." She gave me a blank stare as if she didn't understand what I meant, so I elaborated a bit more "You know, my own kids, as in from conception to birth, and raising them?" The look went from blank to angry as she stomped off.

Days after I would get scowling looks from her clique (gladly most of them quit or got fired by now) as it turns out she was a single mother of 3, and she was only 23. Heh, I didn't feel bad though I was just being honest, haha.
That's just ridiculous. Three kids at 23?

23 is not very far off for me and the thought of 1 kid devastates me, let alone 3.

How can a 23 year old afford 3 kids

Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Quote:
Oh, and I'm really sick of hearing about how some wild bar-hopping party animals began acting like responsible caring adults once they got married and had kids. That's great, but Hello!! That's what you are SUPPOSED TO DO if you decide to bring a child into this world. That's not a cause for sainthood.
lmao that reminds me of the Chris Rock routine

"'Man I ain't never been to prison.' You're SUPPOSED to not go to prison ya low-expectation-having motha****a!"

Old 04-02-2011, 04:53 PM

629 posts, read 1,234,123 times
Quote:

23 is not very far off for me and the thought of 1 kid devastates me, let alone 3.

I've seen this before also. It's kinda sad really. Usually it's due to recklessness on one or both parents. Sex is a responsibility and bringing a child into this world simply because your mind is focused on getting off is stupidity.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,004 times
Quote:
Wow. You are so wrong. Check out this:

Hate being a mom | Secret Confessions
Or this fellow
Happily Childfree « Don’t Have Kids!

Apparently, his stepping up to the plate and expressing his regrets provided a forum for many other people to do the same.

Last edited by silverwing; 04-02-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I know a 26 year old who has 3 kids.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
by being on the dole

I have relatives who had 2 children at 18 and three children by the time they were 26. They definitely struggled at first but they were far from being on the dole, in fact he started his own company at the age of 15 and he became a self employed made millionaire at the time (none of it inherited and, in fact, supported his parents and brothers and sisters) - careful with those assumptions. She went to college after the third one and they sent all those kids to private school and college. Hardley on the dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships