Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 06:40 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times

Advertisements

I disagree. I think some people are just inherently unlucky when it comes to meeting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,605 times
There is no such thing as luck, only probabilities and math is indifferent. It seems cruel Hurri but there it is, God helps those who help themselves and even then the odds say at times you will go down in flames. The only luck you will ever have will be manufactured by your own hands.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:07 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,510,395 times
There's plenty of decent men. When women complain about stuff like that, it means there's no decemt men THEY'RE ATTRACTED TO. If I say there's no decent women, it means there's no decent women I'M ATTRACTED TO. I've never gone and said that, but you see my point. It's about the men they're attracted to.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:01 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,893 times
I have several deal breakers. One is alcohol and already this makes it all hard.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:36 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
People, male or female, who complain about there not being any decent prospects out there tend to be what I call "[poop] magnets."

Yes, into everyone's life an undesirable or two will fall, but if that's all you meet and that's all who is attracted to you, well, do we really have to trot out the ol' common denominator cliche yet again?

In the world of romance and dating, like attracts like. If you meet loser after loser, you are either approaching the wrong people or there is something about you that leads the wrong people to approach you.

Either way, you can control the rate at which you attract losers by evaluating yourself and your situation, from your own behavior to the places you socialize to the area in which you live. Should you give someone the benefit of the doubt and your gut starts firing on your first date, end the date and do not have contact with the person again. If you date someone for a couple of weeks and you see red flags, dump the person. All too often, people make excuses and then wonder why they get burned later.

But, you know, all of that is much too difficult. Instead, it's easier for bitter women to blame men in general, and it's easier for bitter men to blame women in general.

I think most are talking about meeting someone, not being involved, not dating and being in a relationship.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:46 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
I have several deal breakers. One is alcohol and already this makes it all hard.
Lighten up already.... a glass or two of wine isn't gonna make the world fall apart......

Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 AM

30,899 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
BRAVO. THIS. I fall dead smack in the middle of your description. I'm extremely balanced in terms of alpha/provider ratio of qualities (meaning I'm joker of both trades, master of None, ie. nominal), and I can't get the time of day from women I consider sexual equals.

So, true to your theory, I spend the majority of my time partnerless, as I refuse to settle again for the "available chunky girl who returned the phone call"...ergo, the exwife. The only twist my life has to your archetype is that I resort to prostitution and overtly mutually short term "business" sexual interactions (cougars and/or women with no possible compatibility with me in terms of forming a life union), to literally get me through the year. The second I attempt to approach a woman of my age group in a level headed fashion, the checklists come out: Not rich enough, 'stingy', boring, car's not new enough, zip code is too far or too crappy, house's too small, he's an 8 but not a 10, etc etc et al ad nauseam.

Then I got the beta orbiters who hang around me. The baggage patrol. Or the overweight bunch. Or the pity #ucks who argue with me about not considering them pity #ucks as they beg me to consider them (sighs...). It's one big disheartening exercise in "she likes me, but I like the other girl, and that girl doesn't like me...". All because women have completely been brainwashed to expect more than they bring to the table, unsettling the whole order of the world. A world increasingly populated by single parenting, since nobody hardly genuinely loves each other with a sense of posterity when they inseminate one another these days anymore. How could they? We're all everybody's plan B.

In this whole discussion I look back at my life and recognize I've (as in, the MALE half of a relationship) always been the ceding one. I have always had to cede my 'ideals' in order to effect the consumation of any relationship. This too goes in tune with your theory of the polarization of women's expectations. They never get to settle, we men always have to. Now that I'm divorced and no longer subscribe to settling, my romantic life has effectively been decomissioned. Like dust bunnies down the hall way. Even in post-divorce, nothing has changed. Women are just as entitled as when I was dating my exwife almost 8 years ago.

Men get accused of being users and not being available for committed relationships. How ironic. Because here is an educated, one sigma above median income earning, able bodied, sexually active man, ACTIVELY bemoaning the fact I'd like to stop sport #ucking hookers and cougars for the chance at developing a monogamous life partnership.

But the only people responding to that request are women I'm not remotely attracted to, as they bring NOTHING to the table. I'm sorry, not being attracted to women who outweigh me, have no education, have baggage Delta Airlines would charge them triple for, and an attitude so pointed and entitled that one could cut diamonds with, is NOT equivalent to me "being picky" or "aiming for women above your league". That would be called SETTLING or "dancing with the one that brung ya". Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Women need to adjust their thinking, this kamikaze attitude is sending us all to a boiling cauldron of single motherhood American Hell. And nobody's happy, not even the married ones.

Just my .02 worth....but I think sleeping with hookers and doing casual hookups has a way of repelling LTR oriented women, even if you don't say anything. I can't prove it, but it's what I observe among my gay friends. The ones in LTRs tended to hook up less when they were single than the perpetually single ones.

I also think the hooking up is contributing to your cynicism. As another poster said, that cynicism has got to be bleeding through when you meet people in person. As another poster also said, your cynicism about the divorce bleeds through in a lot of your posts. Something's outta whack there, and it's not just with the woman you divorced.

You make a lot of good points, though. In particular, the comments about single parenting seem spot on. The single parenting thing hurts everyone, IMO. We've got to turn that around for both financial and other reaons. But we also need to start noticing that we're as much a part of the problem as "the other".

Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Lighten up already.... a glass or two of wine isn't gonna make the world fall apart......
Already smell of alcohol... Yuckh! People are free to use it, not my business as long as they are not using it in my house.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:09 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,585,525 times
I think people are too afraid of trying each other out.
People dismiss each other before they are even close to knowing really anything about each other.

I mean even if I'm picky, I could do a half-try with a half-match just to see what happens. But I seem to be alone in thinking like this, and apparently it's desperate to want anything at all...?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I don't actually hear many women complaining that they can't meet decent men.

What I hear more often is that no matter who they meet, they're not going to marry or live with a man again bc it's too much of a PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships