Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I always offer to pay even on the first date. I've never ever had a guy let me contribute on the first date. I think most guys appreciate the offer even though they want to pay. I can't help it - it just strikes me as rude for me to sit there when the check comes like I just assume he's picking up the tab. I always get out my wallet and offer to split the check. And by the 3rd or 4th date I usually insist on contributing...at least paying half or getting the drinks, something. I know someone who actually said she enjoyed online dating because she got so many free meals and drinks out of it. That didn't sit well with me and I don't want guys to think I'm using them for their wallets. Funnily enough that chick is now in a LTR and I'm still single, so maybe I'm doing things wrong.
Guys definitely appreciate the offer to pay. Don't fall into the trap of having the attitude that your friend does. Women that do what she does USUALLY end up used and abused. I have met many. Her situation is a rare one. She is either REALLY good looking or she is finding guys that have no pride in themselves and don't mind being with a seriel dater.

Continue to be generous and avoid being selfish like many are and you will be fine. Just a matter of meeting the right guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 11:37 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Before we married, I always split dates 50/50 with my then-boyfriend. That was true from the very first date we ever had. I never felt comfortable having a man pay for me. I always wanted to pay my own way in everything and always did. I've never understood women who think it's their due to have a guy shell out for movies, meals or entertainment. And if I was a man I would never remotely be attracted to any woman who expected this.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I didn't pay anything until we were in an exclusive relationship BUT I would suggest things that were low cost or free for dates. To me it is a turn off to be asked for or even allowed to pay on the first few dates, I like to feel courted and taken care of in the early stages of dating. I offer to pay now, but my guy is a man's man in terms of that kind of thing, and even though I make more than him, he feels emasculated if I pay. I do usually pay the tip when we go out to eat.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:52 PM

664 posts, read 773,642 times
hmmm, guess if I want to ever date I need to start saving my money up now. I love being thought of as a walking atm.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I didn't pay anything until we were in an exclusive relationship BUT I would suggest things that were low cost or free for dates. To me it is a turn off to be asked for or even allowed to pay on the first few dates, I like to feel courted and taken care of in the early stages of dating. I offer to pay now, but my guy is a man's man in terms of that kind of thing, and even though I make more than him, he feels emasculated if I pay. I do usually pay the tip when we go out to eat.

Man's man????? What does that have to do with a woman offering to pay for a date?????

Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowT View Post

I need an honest opinion from guys. Do you find it rude if girls don't pay or don't offer to pay and no matter how much you like her you would stop seeing her? Or you don't mind paying all the time so long you spend time with a girl you really like?

I would call this a woman having her cake and eating it too. I mean this is just how it is and we can't change the way society thinks, but women have equal rights and yet we still have this mentallity around. I think if you have equal rights then you should pay half of the time and the man should pay the other half of the time, but for some reason that feminist push for equal rights only wanted to get rid of the things they didn't want as they try to keep what they did like such as chivalry aka expecting a man to pay for dates.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I would call this a woman having her cake and eating it too. I mean this is just how it is and we can't change the way society thinks, but women have equal rights and yet we still have this mentallity around. I think if you have equal rights then you should pay half of the time and the man should pay the other half of the time, but for some reason that feminist push for equal rights only wanted to get rid of the things they didn't want as they try to keep what they did like such as chivalry aka expecting a man to pay for dates.
I simply don't see how women wanting to vote or wanting equal pay for equal work has anything to do with who pays on a date.

Why don't you organize a group of men to protest outside of restaurants and demand that women equally pay for meals? Or, you can start dating women who offer to pay. Ask them upfront before the date. Simple.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I simply don't see how women wanting to vote or wanting equal pay for equal work has anything to do with who pays on a date.

Why don't you organize a group of men to protest outside of restaurants and demand that women equally pay for meals? Or, you can start dating women who offer to pay. Ask them upfront before the date. Simple.
I pay on dates because I'm old fashioned, but my issue is when society makes women feel entitled to still hold onto the benefits of the dating world and expect guys to do all these things they used to do as they now have equal rights. I say if you are going to expect equal rights for one area of being a woman then expect it in all areas equally. As for me, I try to meet like minded people, you know old school women who are in relationships for the 'man' and not for the 'status' the man brings them such as most of the younger women are in it for these days. Note I said most, not each or all.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

At the end of the day if a woman is truly selfish it will eventually show. In the case where a guy realizes he is dealing with a selfish woman one of three things will happen:

(1) The guy with low self esteem continues to wine and dine the woman in hopes that she will like him and want to continue spending time with him. He doesn't believe he can find anything better.

(2) The nice guy will simply pay for the meal and most likely never call the woman back for a second date.

(3) The not so nice guy will probably take her out on one or more dates until she lets her guard down and gives him sex. Then he puts her in the booty call category and either deletes her number or calls her when his other two or three women are occupied.

Bottom line. Being put in the selfish category by a guy you are truly interested in is not something that a woman wants to happen.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
I'll pay first date, but if she doesnt offer, thats a big red flag. If she doesn't offer on the second date, c-ya.

If I'm looking for something casual/shortterm, and I'm very upfront about that, I'll pay every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships