Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 11:28 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,347,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, then you run the risk of her wanting to tip more, or not giving you enough. And what if you only have cards? Do you split it down the middle even though you got a steak and she only got a chicken salad?

I mean, if you're going to do it, you may as well do it right.
Clearly, there are only two extreme positions to take on this.

Be anal to the penny

or

the woman, for sexist outdated reasons, shouldn't pay.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 11:30 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,673,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Others ways you can tell

1. She will offer to pay the tip

2. She will surprise you and agree to pay for dinner

This happens during the first 4 dates
TV, if a person enjoys your company, you can tell by facial expressions, tone of voice and eagerness to spend time with you. The second you say, "I've paid for two or three dates; now it's your turn," you'll dry out that woman's panties faster than a hand dryer in a public restroom. I don't know about you, but I personally like sex. I think that sex is a much more likely possibility if a woman feels comfortable, appreciated, entertained and complimented throughout the evening. I'm not seeing a discussion about the bill leading to any of these states.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 AM

868 posts, read 1,123,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I understand it's from an era when women had less power and property than men, but I still like it. To me it's just being a good gentleman with good manners to not discuss money on a date.
This is how I feel about it. Granted, it's a different era, but I consider myself a gentleman and will pay for dinner and won't keep tabs or demand the same in return later. Chivalry isn't completely dead. In saying that, if she offers to pay, I won't fight it, but I will show gratitude.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I think it varies for different people. In my experience my male friends have shown more support as females seemed to treat me and my issues as if I would get by and be ok. Like last year when I found out my mom had a brain tumor and my brother almost died twice within the year amongst some other things, the only person who offered prayer or lent an ear was a guy friend of mine...The women I knew who also knew about these things must have thought it was either no big deal or I was some superhuman male that didn't need any encouragement. So, it isn't the case for everyone that women are so supportive as you are suggesting. It may be different for other people like myself.
That's fair, Razor. Men can make outstanding friends too. Agreed.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:33 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,189,453 times
Quote:
I simply don't see how women wanting to vote or wanting equal pay for equal work has anything to do with who pays on a date.
You have got to be kidding me.

One thing is something that women should have/be allowed to do compared to men and another is an undeserved since of entitlement that simp men prior to my generation pandered to.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
This is how I feel about it. Granted, it's a different era, but I consider myself a gentleman and will pay for dinner and won't keep tabs or demand the same in return later. Chivalry isn't completely dead. In saying that, if she offers to pay, I won't fight it, but I will show gratitude.
Agreed, hombre... if a woman wants to pay, I guess I would accept that graciously. I would never expect it though.. even after she paid for dates several times, I'd still reach for my wallet every time and expect to pay. Why? Because I'm a man and that's what men should do, imo.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,799,373 times
Quote:
I think a good idea would be for these guys to keep track of all the dates and then present her with a bill at the end of the month. Ask for payment and give her a few options (cash, check, credit card, paypal etc.) and see how that goes.

Maybe make her sign a dating contract midway through the first just to make sure everyone is on the same page regarding payment and money.
I think you're really missing the point. Most guys are fine and have been fine with the traditional values of paying for dates ect...and we still think this way, but this younger generation makes it seem like they want their cake and eat it too....like they will complain about a guy who wanted to split a bill, but yet wonder why chivalry is dying. Which makes no sense to me because feminists wanted everything to be equal, so it makes no sense that you try changing certain aspects of male vs. female interaction while you complain about other aspects of it. Mainly what I'm saying is I am an old skool gentleman who actually sticks to those old values, but lots of guys these days don't and women get mad when a dude doesn't want to pay for a date sometimes, but that's just the new skool way of doing things and this is what feminism has caused. Don't blame men for this behavior when society has incrementaly taught young men to behave this way as they no longer have that father figure to explain how to treat a lady.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,347,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
that's what men should do, imo.
why?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
why?
I already explained it the best I could, fil. If you're dating women and you guys split bills and that's working for you, cool... I have no objections. If you and your dates like it, I love it. It's just not for me. I want to pay. That's no burden in my mind. That's just being a good guy.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:37 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,189,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
why?
I'd like to know the answer to that question, too. Probably because he's just a nice guy who was raised "right" or something.

Fwiw, I'd never let a woman pay for my date, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships