Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 AM

154 posts, read 155,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is so very true. TV and the movies have most definitely warped our expectations when it comes to dating and relationships. We all deny it, but the media has a much bigger influence on our attitudes than we care to admit.
Will agree with this. Our culture has shifted. Younger women are always looking for the next best thing to help boost their social status. They're all trying to sell their "brand". Whatever that means. Like they believe their lives are a reality show and a camera crew is documenting every moment. Just look at how often they update all that social media stuff? As if people really care. Real narcissism....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
I have been friends for many years with a tall, really handsome guy (50) who is kind, extremely generous, and has a stable, decent-paying job. He has two advanced degrees. And because he is a FWB, I can testify that his enthusiasm and skills in the sack are second to none, and he has a very attractive body.

He is also single and rarely gets dates.

His problem? He acts weird.

His sense of humor is odd and juvenile. The topics he obsessively talks about are pedantic and boring to most. He has a very rigid routine, eating breakfast at the same diner every day, going to the same place on vacation every year, etc. He has few friends and no social life. He has a nervous way of moving and acting that can be hard to relax around.

The strangest thing of all is that he has no self-awareness of any of this. I try to help him by giving him pointers, but he is mired in his way of being and will never change.

I share this story because the OP may find it useful to have someone evaluate how he comes across to women in social situations like dates.

Also, it adds anecdotal data to the theory that being handsome, stable and educated alone will not get you a woman.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:43 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-H View Post
Will agree with this. Our culture has shifted. Younger women are always looking for the next best thing to help boost their social status. They're all trying to sell their "brand". Whatever that means. Like they believe their lives are a reality show and a camera crew is documenting every moment. Just look at how often they update all that social media stuff? As if people really care. Real narcissism....
You can't generalize like this. I know a number of women in their 20's, and none of them remotely fit this description.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Freak View Post
Not it's not. It's human nature.

This is also observed in the animal kingdom. Aggressive, high-status alpha males get to have sex with all the females while their weaker peers get very few if any mating opportunities.

Nature is cruel and this is probably not going to change anytime soon, if ever.
It's not human nature, it's animal nature. Humans have highly evolved brains, so they can rise above animal instinct. Many do. Some don't. Look for the ones that do, there are plenty out there.

Most women aren't interested in "muscular", not for a serious relationship. Many women value a good heart and a strong intellect, and humor.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,395,344 times
you have face for radio perhaps just FUGLY?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:52 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtownKeith View Post
If women love stable, respectable, men with good jobs why am I still single?

I'm 45 never been married. Work at a good Government job in the IT field but I can't get a second date. Now I'm no Brad Pitt but I think women should look past looks and see me for my stability and what I could potentially bring to a relationship.

Women are delusional and they regularly lie about what they want. They'd be embarrassed to tell you the truth.

This is especially true when some women's studies academic gets together a group of divorced women to drink coffee and complain about their exes.

None of them want to tell the truth for fear of being considered crass so the MSM gets fed a load of bull that has the effect of harming most men who thing that if only they try harder, success will be theirs. Sorry, but for most men, the fix is in and there is little one can do except to really lower your sights - very low.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 AM

64 posts, read 136,081 times
Quote:
Im 45 never been married. Work at a good Government job in the IT field but I can't get a second date. Now I'm no Brad Pitt but I think women should look past looks and see me for my stability and what I could potentially bring to a relationship.
CtownKeith:

Read My Post Here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/24502093-post29.html

Most single men feel this way, and there's a reason why American Men feel frustrated. Unfortunately, American Gals outside of America are viewed horribly .... Travel abroad and realize how women really are, and how nice they can be.

Peace

Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 AM

188 posts, read 304,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Many women value a good heart and a strong intellect, and humor.
Yes but these women are very rare and very hard to find and since I don't get out much the probability that I'll ever find a woman like that in this lifetime is something like 0.00001%

Old 05-29-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Freak View Post
Yes but these women are very rare and very hard to find.
Don't give up, they're not as rare as you think. Where are you looking for women? What kind of women do you go for, looks-wise?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,268,057 times
Quote:
Im 45 never been married. Work at a good Government job in the IT field but I can't get a second date. Now I'm no Brad Pitt but I think women should look past looks and see me for my stability and what I could potentially bring to a relationship.
Good Morning Keith...I married an I.T. guy who was late 40's at the time, never had a serious girlfriend let alone been married before. He is stable, loving and it absolutely amazes me he has never been in a serious relationship prior to me. I have asked him and all he ever has said is "I was always working" or "I was always in school/college". It appears that he didn't take any down time for himself and was always career driven...making money became his priority and his life kind of blew right by him. You don't have to be Brad Pitt to have a life of some sort that includes a wife and children. What you do have to do is learn how to back down from your job and priorities for a time and relax. You will meet all sorts of women who like to perhaps jog in the park, go on a cruise, enjoy a summer concert, go to the beach. When you do meet these women, you have to show them some sort of personality and by this I mean talk about something other than I.T. stuff.

My I.T. guy is quiet, smart, and doesn't talk much when he is out with our friends or our family..it gets on peoples nerves so we have had many disucssions about his introverted personality which I do believe comes from his inability to extend himself beyond his work. We are working on it, but it is frustrating.

Now, you ask why I got interested in him?? I saw potential in him and he does show his personality occasionally and under all that seriousness, he is lots of fun.

My recommendation for you..RELAX and don't take yourself quite so seriously. Above all else, stop having such a low opinion of yourself i.e. the Brad Pitt statement..good luck and loosen up and things should get better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships