Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,781,555 times

Advertisements

No, they are the benchmark other people need to emulate.

They always make me feel good. Especially when the whole family shows up in church or something....... or the Dad, Mom and two kids, all take a bicycle ride on the bike trail by the side of the road - I see this a LOT in Connecticut. That's how a family should be.

If I am ever envious, it's only when I come across a dude who pulls a higher paycheque But even that feeds into some kind of a negative positivity, the resulting angst drives up the ambition co-efficient
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,119,273 times
As I read k374's post I saw a few things I think are misconceptions: Good or great relationships don't happen because of luck, or because two people got lucky. They happen because two people care enough to make it happen. A good relationship/marriage takes a lot of work, and a lot of understanding, along with a generous portion of forgiveness. Usually it takes two people who are mature and have had their share of heartache and struggles in life and have basically the same interests in life. We never know what goes on behind closed doors, so it is almost impossible to gauge how other couples get along unless you spend lots of time with them. We have a couple friends who are devote Christians from all outward appearances, but the way he talks to his wife, at times, really bothers me. She gets mad at him for his hurtful words but soon forgets his remarks. I wouldn't dream of talking to my wife like that. If you can't say nice things to your mate, keep your mouth shut.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,405,828 times
There's no such thing as a perfect marriage or a perfect relationship. Anyone who would ever say, "Oh, I have a perfect marriage!" almost certainly does not.

Many couples put on an elaborate act to convince outsiders they are blissfully in love and in perfect accord. Generally, these same people end up divorced. And PDA's mean nothing. In fact, the couples who paw each other and constantly kiss or make out in public are invariably the ones who have a terrible relationship.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:39 PM

733 posts, read 1,666,262 times
I have a pair of acquaintances like that. They've met since they were 15, and they've been together for 10 years now. I wouldn't call them the perfect couple though, but they seem plenty in love. I'm not envious at all because I believe that one ought to date a few bad boys and break a few hearts in their youth, it's all part of the life experience that makes us grow. For that same reason and others, many don't want to settle down too fast.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 PM

733 posts, read 1,666,262 times
Also, I'm a little bit skeptical about anyone who claims to have a perfect relationship. We tend to see the good in other people's relationships and not aware of all the hard work that goes into making the relationship perfect or all the arguing that happens behind doors.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:51 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,509,841 times
No, because as far as I know, my wife and I have the best relationship of anyone I know.

Most other people's relationships make me cringe.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,225,092 times
I'm not jealous because I think I have the perfect relationship! Now - before you all jump on me and say there is no such thing and if you say you have one that means you don't - I have the perfect relationship for me. We argue, fight, get on each other's nerves, bicker, etc. - but there is nobody else I'd rather spend my life with. There's nobody else that I laugh as much with. There's nobody else gets me like my husband does. So while this may not be the perfect relationship for anyone else - it's perfect for us.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,777,645 times
I've never known anyone with a relationship like that, or even close.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:12 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,582,718 times
i really make an effort not to envy. bek every time i do it, something awful happens to the person i envy.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:27 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,745,959 times
Nope...I'm happy for them and hope things continue to work out. Don't believe that there's any such thing as a "perfect" marriage, because there is no such thing. By the way, what may be perfect for you, may not be perfect for someone else. The key is in not being too offensive, being respectful, being kind and being tolerant. Don't ever expect perfection, because no one is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships