Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,324,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Agreed, from what I've seen. As for speculation about meeting your current (near-ideal) partner earlier, we've considered that. We think it might have worked out well (thinking back about how we were say 10 years ago), but we also think it's possible that the experiences and attitudes we developed during the time we did not know each other shaped us in a variety of ways that made us truly compatible when we did meet. Now, we focus on growing together (and not grow apart) - because relationships and the individuals in them aren't static.
Absolutely. As you know, you'll change more in your twenties than you will for the rest of your life. Your attitudes, your politics, your tastes, your approach to relationships, you name it. If you find Mr/Mrs Right at age 19 or 21, how can you be sure that person will grow in the same direction as you in the years to come? What if that person's life takes them in a wholly different direction?

I mean it's great if it happens for the best. Despite my earlier comment about wishing I had met MrsCPG ten years earlier, I'm not sure that would have been for the best. We've frequently joked that we probably wouldn't have liked one another had we met in high school or in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,785,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Many people who meet and marry at very young ages actually wind up splitting apart when they reach their thirties and forties. They are blissfully happy until they are not.
Just curious...what do you think (and have seen, in your experiences with observing this) it is specifically, that causes these "younger-marrieds" relationships, to actually fail, eventually?

Very intriguing...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 12-22-2011 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Edits

Old 12-22-2011, 09:08 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,324,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Just curious...what do you think (and have seen, in your experiences with observing this) it is specifically, that causes such a younger-marrieds relationship, to actually fail?

Very intriguing...
Look at post #71.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,785,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Look at post #71.
Thanks...yes, just took a look at thet post you had cited...lol, I think I was in the process of writing and being about to send my posted question to you, right about when you submitted post #71...

Old 12-22-2011, 10:32 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,204,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Nah, I get what you mean! It's one thing to sit there brooding about how you wish you had something, it's another to sit there figuring out how you're gonna get it.
I know. That is why my post was not directed to you. I was more on the camp of brooding rather than doing.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:19 PM

622 posts, read 1,282,990 times
No I dont envy them. I respect them. That being said there is no perfect relationship. There are those that work and those that dont. And what you see is usually far from the reality. I ADORE my SO. Is our relationship perfect? No. We fight sometimes. We get on each others nerves. But I know she loves me. And she knows I love her. We arent perfect. But I love her perfect imperfections. We have been through hell and back and she never gave up on me even though I was intolerable at times.

We WORK at it. We argue and make up. We are brutaly honest with each other. We fight and forgive and forget. I actually resisted getting too close to her for awhile. But now I cant stand to be away from her. Is she perfect? No. Im I? HELL no. But we make it work. Any woman that can tolerate me for any length of time is a hell of a woman in my eyes. So we accept that we arent perfect and to be honest we love that we are not. Actually she just text that she misses me. So time to go home.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,261,012 times
I do not know any perfectly happy couples. All of them have their fights.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,956,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Do you have friends like this?
No. I went to about 50 weddings during the "wedding years" of my early-mid 20's. Out of those 50 marriages, I'd say at least 30 of them have failed. Out of those 30 failed marriages, roughly 28 of them were due to infidelity or dissatisfaction on the part of the female in the marriage.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:07 AM

622 posts, read 1,282,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
No. I went to about 50 weddings during the "wedding years" of my early-mid 20's. Out of those 50 marriages, I'd say at least 30 of them have failed. Out of those 30 failed marriages, roughly 28 of them were due to infidelity or dissatisfaction on the part of the female in the marriage.

Thats exactly my experience too. With the weddings I have been to.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,861,441 times
I don't see how meeting at 15 and dating forever give your the perfect relationship. A cute story? Sure. Perfect Relationship. No way. If anything I would kind of feel sorry that those people never go to experience what being single is. I mean I guess it's great to share all your firsts with someone but I found it so exciting to move away and get my first apartment and first job and graduate from college and think the possibilities were endless...I couldn't imagine being tied to someone that young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships