Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,972 times

Advertisements

Eh, no. I don't give a shot about that. Plus, there is no such thing as a "perfect love story". Love is crazy and you can find love in the craziest of situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,435 times
Can't say I know anyone with the perfect relationship, married or not. In fact, most married ppl I know feel the same way that I do...marriage is work. If you want something to work properly, you have to maintain it regularly.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Can't say I know anyone with the perfect relationship, married or not. In fact, most married ppl I know feel the same way that I do...marriage is work. If you want something to work properly, you have to maintain it regularly.
Absolutely! It doesn't "just happen".

Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,765 times
Envy is the enemy of the one who carries it.

I think we all have felt it in our lives though. Just don't dwell in it, if you want something that someone else has, admire them and learn from them, don't hate them or become envious. That is a sure way to stay miserable.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:18 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,467,349 times
My first marriage was a shambles. This one, while not "perfect", is as good as it gets! The key isn't working at it (sometimes, yes). And compatibility in a number of areas is certainly very, very helpful. Essentially, for a great marriage, I think both partners must sincerely do - and WANT to do - whatever they can to help their partner feel loved, appreciated, and fulfilled, and in the ways that matter to them, not you.

Recently, someone posted an article about the concept of a Generous Relationship - that captures a lot of what it takes for a relationship to be exceptional.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Sleeping in separate beds doesnt mean their relationship is awful- for that couple, it works. I actually read a CNN article a few years ago tnat showed a high number of couples do this! The most common reason is because one spouse snores and the other is a light sleeper, or because they have to get up at different times..doesnt mean they dont love each other less- but that sleep is the top priority for them..if it we had an extra guest room in our home, my husband and I would probably take turns sleeping apart just because of snoring issues! different strokes for different folks!
It does in this case and they are who I was talking about. My point was things aren't always as they appear. Everyone thinks they have a perfect relationship. He knows better.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:25 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times
Default Are you envious of those who have the perfect relationship?

The grass always look greener. Distance has a way of fooling us. Get a little closer to the fence..........

Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,219,487 times
No such thing as the 'perfect' relationship. However I wouldn't exchange the type of relationship DH & I have for any other I have seen, so that's got to be pretty good!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You bring up such a good point my friend

My life got so much happier and my heart grew to be so much bigger once I made a conscious choice to be happy for anyone else's good fortune.

Being jealous or envious of other people completely diminishes your own happiness, as you are wise to realize
Good for you, lovesMountains.

What I have found is that those with good fortune AND who wish good fortune to others can easily tell those who have a big heart.

I had a friend who grew up poor in Eastern Europe but she made very clear that she never felt poor because there was so much love in her home.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Relationships that work, work because it's a little give and take. They know their partners weaknesses and their strengths. They are willing to compromise. Have patience. Their friends. Companions. They argue then make up. Some may actually love each other. Imagine that.
Exactly and they seem "perfect" on the outside because they took the time to know their partners and remember details about them.

Sometimes people argue over things like if the final decision is life-or-death. I don't think folks in successful relationships do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
This is a thread about "happy marriages/relationships" isn't it? Why would I envy anyone....I HAVE one of those marriages, of nearly 30 years. I have nothing to be envious of. It's not perfect, but it's perfect enough for us.
Can't rep you again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I am happy for them, and wish them all blessings and happiness, in their relationship together! Have never been jealous / envious of other ppl's good fortune and happiness

I will admit that I have felt rather sad, depressed, and/or discouraged at times in the past, that I was unable to have someone special and loving, in my own life...but this unhappiness was targeted inward, at myself, and never at the happy couple (as I previously saw myself, personally, as a failure and unlovable) But jealousy or malice, towards the happy loving couple? Never!
This post is not directed to you, Knight.

Those feelings are more like it but I wouldn't call them envy like another poster did. Those feelings are normal to have because life is not perfect.

People will kick you down for those feelings and it is easy to become confused and even angry about having them. That is why a supportive spouse makes all the difference in the world. That is what makes the relationship perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships