Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Its good to know that gay's have just as hard of a time as us straight people! Ha, just kiding.

But seriously, what about moving? In Chicago they have a very active gay scene. I enjoy the gay culture in our city as a straight male and I would imagine its where I would want to be if I were indeed gay.
Or New York! One of my best friends is gay and he's just like the OP. He's been with his boyfriend for 3 or 4 years now. They met online, started dating, and they now live together. Many of my gay friends aren't into the "gay scene" just like many of my straight friends aren't into clubbing and one night stands. Your sexuality doesn't determine your lifestyle - just who you are attracted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,842,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Or New York! One of my best friends is gay and he's just like the OP. He's been with his boyfriend for 3 or 4 years now. They met online, started dating, and they now live together. Many of my gay friends aren't into the "gay scene" just like many of my straight friends aren't into clubbing and one night stands. Your sexuality doesn't determine your lifestyle - just who you are attracted to.
Well I think by "Gay Scene" I had in mind a much broader sense of environment. I know the typical gay scene is what comes to mind. But in Boystown there is just about ANYTHING for anyone. You can go to a classy upscale bar and have $12 drinks with people who are predominantly gay, or you can go to a dive bar and hang out with hipster type of people. Also, if your into transexuals we have that too! Anyway, all I am saying is that there is just about something for everyone. The problem with gay vs. straight I think, is that you cant just assume everyone is gay in a normal bar/club. Whereas if your in an openly gay community, its the opposite.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:
Well I think by "Gay Scene" I had in mind a much broader sense of environment. I know the typical gay scene is what comes to mind. But in Boystown there is just about ANYTHING for anyone. You can go to a classy upscale bar and have $12 drinks with people who are predominantly gay, or you can go to a dive bar and hang out with hipster type of people. Also, if your into transexuals we have that too! Anyway, all I am saying is that there is just about something for everyone. The problem with gay vs. straight I think, is that you cant just assume everyone is gay in a normal bar/club. Whereas if your in an openly gay community, its the opposite.
Doesn't mean they are all going to go for you, may be less likely to punch you out...just the same in any other setting. I think its just like everyone else...make friends first and the rest shall follow.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:44 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Oh - I got what you were saying - although I can understand how it didn't come across that way since I was quoting you. I was referring to the type of gay scene the guy mentioned in the OP. I agree with you.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,580,478 times
I'm like you. I don't believe in casual sex either, and I don't even know what the "scene" is. Apparently I'm about as non-stereotypical as it gets, so I encounter very few other gay guys in my everyday activities and interests, and when we do meet, we're so "straight seeming" that we don't think to ask each other. I'm talking with a guy pretty seriously right now, and the only way that happened was with a courageous reading of subtle signs after we had been friends for awhile. Honestly, in my experience, it just takes a lot of patience, a lot of luck, and a spark of courage. That goes for anyone that has high standards though, straight or not.

That said, despite the stigma attached to it, I can see where the Internet would be a decent way to meet someone of like mindset.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:10 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
OP, there are certainly other gay men who want the same things out of their relationships with men as you do. However, one doesn't snap one's fingers and find a partner. It can take years of searching and dating to zero in on the guy for you.

You know what you want, so it is upon you to communicate that to the guy you may be interested in. As others have pointed out, your geographic location could be a factor here as gay men still tend to concentrate in large metropolitan areas. Though, that is becoming less true every year.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Perhaps you're not gay?
what makes you say that? i've known i was gay since i was a child. i am just shy and conservative socially

Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
Quote:
i'm into going to bars and clubs and plays etc. i'm all for that part of the gay scene, just not like leather bars and casual hookups etc.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
OP, there is nothing wrong with you! Just keep looking and wait until you feel it is "right."

Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
I guess the problem is finding someone who isn't into casual sex/isn't likely to cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships