Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,075,090 times

Advertisements

The courts always rule in favor of the minor child. There have been some landmark court cases where the father finds out the child isn't his and petitions the court for relief. And still has to pay.

This happened to a long time acquaintance of mine who married poorly. He had 4 kids and 2 of them weren't his. He found out after the divorce when he had the kids tested. I guess if he went to the trouble to do this, he had his suspicions. We thought it was unlikely all the kids were his just based on appearances.

Legally, it was no help and he still has to pay. And he is one bitter individual. He might have been better off not knowing. I understand why the courts do this but that doesn't make it equitable for the men who are caught up in this situation.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 PM

22,405 posts, read 29,522,524 times
This is exactly why I have a cat

Old 02-08-2012, 01:07 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,891,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The courts always rule in favor of the minor child. There have been some landmark court cases where the father finds out the child isn't his and petitions the court for relief. And still has to pay.

This happened to a long time acquaintance of mine who married poorly. He had 4 kids and 2 of them weren't his. He found out after the divorce when he had the kids tested. I guess if he went to the trouble to do this, he had his suspicions. We thought it was unlikely all the kids were his just based on appearances.

Legally, it was no help and he still has to pay. And he is one bitter individual. He might have been better off not knowing. I understand why the courts do this but that doesn't make it equitable for the men who are caught up in this situation.
It's a stupid policy. I don't see why the courts can't simply go after the biological fathers to pick up the future child support payments, and maybe even reimburse the other guy for past support. They go after biological fathers for back child support all the time, even if it's been 10+ years.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:08 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,747,904 times
LOL @ himain. Exactly why I have a dog. Having children with men doesn't pay literally and figuratively. They find some reason to weasel out of it. Being stuck with a baby? No thanks I'll keep the miniature pinscher.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM

622 posts, read 1,281,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
LOL @ himain. Exactly why I have a dog. Having children with men doesn't pay literally and figuratively. They find some reason to weasel out of it. Being stuck with a baby? No thanks I'll keep the miniature pinscher.
Yeah we are all a bunch of dead beats that dont care about our kids.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameribull View Post
Yeah we are all a bunch of dead beats that dont care about our kids.

I try not to say 'all.' Majority sounds more accurate. Either way, better safe than sorry!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,891,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I am pregnant right now and would be mortified if my husband requested a paternity test because I do think it would show a lack of trust.
HOWEVER
I agree with the poster who said paternity testing should be mandatory and done as a matter of course at birth.

I can see that it is not fair that men could then cheat with impunity whereas women would be penalized, but a baby is a big deal, the financial responsibility is a big deal, and the emotional well being of all concerned (including the child) is a big deal and I think that men have the right to know that they are actually the Father of their baby.... without it causing a trust issue with their partner.

I just think that this kind of thing is best sorted out immediately and perhaps women who have had an indescretion would be more inclined to be upfront with their husband if they knew a paternity test were coming.
Good post, but do we really need the government to make it mandatory for everyone just to prevent trust issues of a few?

Would it not work to just impose criminal penalties for those who actually engage in paternity fraud and allow suit for reimbursement from biological fathers?

Yes, your idea would prevent hurt feelings but that shouldn't be the purpose of government. We should make personal choices to avoid getting screwed, just like insurance. Government should arbitrate/rectify actual damages through the court system in this scenario, nothing more.

Last edited by Freedom123; 02-08-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM

622 posts, read 1,281,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I try not to say 'all.' Majority sounds more accurate. Either way, better safe than sorry!
Really? Cuz I know none personally. Its usually the moms that are at the club every weekend drinking up the child support while Jr is at grandmas. But of course its not "all". Just the majority. But your right better safe than sorry.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,162,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
It's a stupid policy. I don't see why the courts can't simply go after the biological fathers to pick up the future child support payments, and maybe even reimburse the other guy for past support. They go after biological fathers for back child support all the time, even if it's been 10+ years.
You must have missed the article I posted earlier.

Conn. man can seek payment from child's real dad - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/news/article/Conn-man-can-seek-payment-from-child-s-real-dad-2964715.php - broken link)

Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameribull View Post
Really? Cuz I know none personally. Its usually the moms that are at the club every weekend drinking up the child support while Jr is at grandmas. But of course its not "all". Just the majority. But your right better safe than sorry.

Really? 'Cuz I don't see tons of women getting their pay docked monthly because they don't want to support their kids? Really? 'Cuz I don't see sh*tloads of single fathers trying to 'make due' on their little salaries to feed babies and themselves. Really? 'Cuz the common term is 'she's/he's got daddy issues.' Sure there's probably 'she's/he's got mommy issues,' but I said the most common term. But yea, I made it up, that men usually don't care of their kids on the regular. Okay. Yes better safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.