Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 PM

652 posts, read 1,053,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Also taking care of your body shows discipline and self respect which are attractive qualities.
It shows self discipline in that sphere of life....I certainly wouldn't extrapolate that a person who spends hours at the gym is necessarily more self disciplined in other areas.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,786,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
It shows self discipline in that sphere of life....I certainly wouldn't extrapolate that a person who spends hours at the gym is necessarily more self disciplined in other areas.
You are right and also people who spend hrs at the gym aka "gym rats" are usually self absorbed and annoying. They are not attractive to me at all. I've worked in too many gyms to know how creepy those guys can be. I have stories....

I'm talking about a healthy lifestyle, moderate, and real.

It's also a turn off when the "healthfreaks" make comments about how particular they are with what they put in their bodies like they are too good to eat some potato chips.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
Weight is a dealbreaker for me when it's extreme. I prefer a man who's sturdy, not really on the thin side.

I've been all over the board (scale, if you will) when it comes to weight. At my current weight there is a noticeable difference in male attention. It does make me sad to think that at 30 pounds heavier I was the same person, but these guys didn't give me the time of day. At the same time it keeps me motivated to get on the beach cruiser and peddle around for a couple of hours a day. I also feel more confident ringing my bike bell at the cute guys I pass.

And I really don't feel that men like skinny. I see a leaning towards medium build. At least that's what I tell myself because I don't want to obsess about it.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
I was dating a chubbier guy for a short time, overlooking the belly and how he never ordered the healthier option...well I couldn't take it any longer..not because of his weight...BUT he would always make it known of how "skinny" girls were it! Dayum he would check out any chick with two inch space between her thighs and drool... I had to dump him...he was no match to me physically and yet complaining how I wasn't a twig. Jerk!!!
He must be a jerk. You look petite & cute, to me.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:07 PM

76 posts, read 150,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
If I want to give up one day and just sit on the couch,and become Zaftig size,dammit that's my right as an American. I shouldn't be judged for it.
You have the right to do it. Others have the right to judge you for it. I don't see the problem.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM

76 posts, read 150,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I've been all over the board (scale, if you will) when it comes to weight. At my current weight there is a noticeable difference in male attention. It does make me sad to think that at 30 pounds heavier I was the same person, but these guys didn't give me the time of day. At the same time it keeps me motivated to get on the beach cruiser and peddle around for a couple of hours a day. I also feel more confident ringing my bike bell at the cute guys I pass.
You're sort of contradicting yourself. The "couple of hours a day" biking version of you, that also naturally happens to be skinnier due to all the physical exercise, is different that you other 30# heavier you. 95% of the time the physical appearance is a direct reflection of the inner self. A person who bikes a lot will naturally be more fit than the one who doesn't. They're not the same person. You, the current you, the 30# less you, the biking on a beach cruiser you is different than old you who wasn't motivated enough to get on a bike. Then you and current you are not the same person.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJackRabbit View Post
You're sort of contradicting yourself. The "couple of hours a day" biking version of you, that also naturally happens to be skinnier due to all the physical exercise, is different that you other 30# heavier you. 95% of the time the physical appearance is a direct reflection of the inner self. A person who bikes a lot will naturally be more fit than the one who doesn't. They're not the same person. You, the current you, the 30# less you, the biking on a beach cruiser you is different than old you who wasn't motivated enough to get on a bike. Then you and current you are not the same person.
Not a bad point, however the attention is NOT from the fact that she is living a fitter lifestyle and therefore is now a different person, it's because of the weight loss.

I lost a good deal of weight about 7 years ago. At my heaviest, when I wasn't trying to lose weight yes, I agree...different mentality and drive.

However, after losing 40lbs and having that "fit person" mentality, and running everyday and working out at the gym 5 days a week, I had that motivated personality. I was also still about 45lbs overweight so there wasn't much in the way of positive attention. 45lbs later and all of a sudden people start treating me differently. I was the same person I was 45lbs earlier...motivated, fit, living the lifestyle..etc.

It really IS all about the weight loss and the smaller body.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Probably, if I am being brutally honest. If I was looking for someone new, it wouldn't be with someone who lived a sedentary/crap food-filled lifestyle. Then again, a gym rat who takes no pleasure in food/skipping a workout here and there wouldn't be for me either. It's more about lifestyle than weight, but weight often correlates to lifestyle, especially after you are out of your early 20s.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:06 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Not a bad point, however the attention is NOT from the fact that she is living a fitter lifestyle and therefore is now a different person, it's because of the weight loss.

I lost a good deal of weight about 7 years ago. At my heaviest, when I wasn't trying to lose weight yes, I agree...different mentality and drive.

However, after losing 40lbs and having that "fit person" mentality, and running everyday and working out at the gym 5 days a week, I had that motivated personality. I was also still about 45lbs overweight so there wasn't much in the way of positive attention. 45lbs later and all of a sudden people start treating me differently. I was the same person I was 45lbs earlier...motivated, fit, living the lifestyle..etc.

It really IS all about the weight loss and the smaller body.
Congratulations on your weight loss. What you accomplished was truly an amazing achievement.

It's only human for most people to be attracted to a "fit" body, but I think you're wrong when you say that appearance is all that matters when it comes to the broad picture of what a man (or woman) wants. Do I love an athletic, muscular, strong look on a woman? Yes, I do. But, I also want a partner who can understand and respect my diet. I want a partner that does weight training with me, that runs with me, that plays pickup games of soccer or volleyball with me. That's why I think it's cool when I see couples training with each other at the gym; couples that motivate and help each other. Do some only care about a fit appearance? Yes. But there are many out there who would love a woman more for the fit lifestyle that she lives with her appearance being of secondary importance.

Yes, your looks will spark my attention, but what you do after that will keep my interest alive.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Congratulations on your weight loss. What you accomplished was truly an amazing achievement.

It's only human for most people to be attracted to a "fit" body, but I think you're wrong when you say that appearance is all that matters when it comes to the broad picture of what a man (or woman) wants. Do I love an athletic, muscular, strong look on a woman? Yes, I do. But, I also want a partner who can understand and respect my diet. I want a partner that does weight training with me, that runs with me, that plays pickup games of soccer or volleyball with me. That's why I think it's cool when I see couples training with each other at the gym; couples that motivate and help each other. Do some only care about a fit appearance? Yes. But there are many out there who would love a woman more for the fit lifestyle that she lives with her appearance being of secondary importance.

Yes, your looks will spark my attention, but what you do after that will keep my interest alive.
Oh, yes I agree with you on that aspect of it.

I meant at face value, those men were not noticing her because her personality, motivation and drive made her a different person than her heavier 30# self. They were noticing her because she was slimmer.

Keeping them interested would be the work of her "new" self. But she just said she had more noticeable difference in male attention after her weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships