Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:33 PM

51 posts, read 242,929 times

Advertisements

I am a lover of history so I would like to comment from a historical point of view. (also less controversial) I believe in my studies of slavery and how the lighter skinned negro came to be was from the sexual undertaking of the white man with the black (dark skinned) woman. Lighter skinned blacks didn't come until some 18 to 25 years later, and for black men it was taboo to look at a white woman so imagine getting one of your own that was close to white. You were amazed and somewhat drawn in by the concept that to some this was better. A white man's world played a big difference in the eyes of black's to them they had everything. Freedom, land, gainful employment and the ability to keep all that. Where as the slave was exposed to separation, rape and poor work conditions. I think the lore of lighter is better is like the diet slaves had; we ate scraps to survive. Food wasn't about healthy or good it was what you ate to keep going. With education and freedom comes choices and it no longer stands as light is better it may now be more of a preference.

I am not white, I am chinese so please don't call me racist !!!!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:40 PM

51 posts, read 242,929 times
This is from wikipedia:

A preference for lighter-skinned women has remained prevalent over time, even in cultures without European contact, though exceptions have been found.[128] Anthropologist Peter Frost stated that since higher-ranking men were allowed to marry the perceived more attractive women, who tended to have fair skin, the upper classes of a society generally tended to develop a lighter complexion than the lower classes by sexual selection (see also Fisherian runaway).[60][128][129] In contrast, one study on men of the Bikosso tribe in Cameroon found no preference for attractiveness of females based on lighter skin color, bringing into question the universality of earlier studies that had exclusively focused on skin color preferences among non-African populations.[129]
Today, skin bleaching is not uncommon in parts of the world such as Africa,[130] and a preference for lighter-skinned women generally holds true for African Americans,[131] Latin Americans,[132] and Asians.[133] One exception to this has been in contemporary Western culture, where tanned skin used to be associated with the sun-exposed manual labor of the lower-class, but has generally been considered more attractive and healthier since the mid-20th century.[134][135][136][137][138]
More recent work has extended skin color research beyond preferences for lightness, arguing that redder (higher a* in the CIELab colour space) and yellower (higher b*) skin has healthier appearance.[61] These preferences have been attributed to higher levels of red oxygenated blood in the skin, which is associated with aerobic fitness and lack of cardiac and respiratory illnesses,[62] and to higher levels of yellow-red antioxidant carotenoids in the skin, indicative of more fruit and vegetables in the diet and, possibly more efficient immune and reproductive systems.[63]
Research has additionally shown that skin radiance or glowing skin indicates health, thus skin radiance influences perception of beauty and physical attractiveness.[139][140]

Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Being a lover of history, you should be aware that anyone can be racist....... not just the "evil white man"

FYI...

Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Being Chinese I assume you are currently in China ?

To talk intelligently about color, race and preferences you should have some experiences in the point you are trying to make. You're making the mistake many intellectuals make is that what you read or sounds good in theory is not realistic.

Just because you read something or it sounds good does not make it correct. You hear of racism here in the states but actually we've all come a long way.

Dark skin, light skin hopefully we look inside and try to understand. You're in a very non-diverse country, not sure you'll understand. You might take this subject to the Politics & Other or Great Debate forum.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:07 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beiyang View Post
This is from wikipedia:

A preference for lighter-skinned women has remained prevalent over time, even in cultures without European contact, though exceptions have been found.[128] Anthropologist Peter Frost stated that since higher-ranking men were allowed to marry the perceived more attractive women, who tended to have fair skin, the upper classes of a society generally tended to develop a lighter complexion than the lower classes by sexual selection (see also Fisherian runaway).[60][128][url="http://en.wikipedia.org[/QUOTE]
This is the third post of yours that I am aware of.

You create "bait" threads on purpose, then when they get out of hand you abandon them.

I "see" you dude.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
this isn't news and it's not just black men, it's most men of other races prefer lighter skinned women -- the closer you are to white in general, the more likely they want you...what's really funny is when a guy will say he likes other races then white and then suggests light skinned Hispanics or biracial (half white/half black) as 'proof' of this. OK, yea....

I don't have a problem with anyone dating any race though.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beiyang View Post
Why are you verbally attacking me? I am simply sharing my own observation and thoughts.
Don't give me that crap. I back read your posts. Grow up.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,937 times
What's the matter, Mr. Miyagi, did somebody put Hennessy in the egg foo young?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Don't give me that crap. I back read your posts. Grow up.
I don't know how many he's done, but this is the third "controversial" one that I'm aware of.

The first one was how he would NOT deal with a single woman with kids (that I never posted in).

The second one was how he WOULD financially support a single woman with kids (which I did post in) and some other posts later pointed out the hypocrisy of the current thread and a link to the other one.

Now this crap.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,382 times
It's true. I'm darkskin and no man wants me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships