Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 11:02 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,370 times

Advertisements

Lol I don't even know why I waste my time typing. Nyanna I already know has severe emotional issues.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:03 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Ok. No one is denying that colorism doesn't exist. It's not just limited to the black community...Indians, East Asians, there are millions of dollars being spent to lighten skin...

That being said, I feel there's a handful of women who seem to want to blame all their dating and life woes on the color of their skin...and I think that's just plain ridiculous.

I'm definitely not light skinned, I feel plenty attractive and I feel men and people in general receive me well.
Yeah but black women's struggle is different. The Indians, East Asians all they have to worry about is their skin tone...we (black women) have to worry about our skin tone, our hair texture AND our facial features. I know other groups suffer from colorism but I rarely hear Indian men dog out their women publicly the way black men do. I just never hear them make songs or do press conferences about how black women are xyz. I don't even hear other races attack them as much as they do black women.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,509,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am going to blame the media. They pretend that beautiful darker girls don't exist.

They always seem to put girls who look like me in cuckoo outfits and makeup if we are represented at all. And the pretty girls get no press. (Hello Tika Sumpter!)

I know the same things happens to the South Indian women too.
Media is going show what sells and what is in demand.
I have very light South Indian girls also and then I have seen dark skin Punjabi's. India has it all.

How about not worrying about black men do or don't do? There are a ton of other men out there. Entertain a few of them.

TBH, I don't really know very many (well any) black men in real life other than my family, but the ones I encounter don't seem interested in dogging me.

620 posts, read 1,300,867 times
Quote:
Well part of the negative attention directed at Whoopi is partly because she never fixes herself up and she dresses like a man. Iman is very dark skinned I can't remember any taunts thrown her way about.
But there are those who would say that Iman has lightened up over the last several decades. Even in her books, she acknowledged that she encountered many in her industry who were just unsure of how to work with someone of her skin tone. She attempted to say that the reason her skin tone changed over time was because earlier in her career, make-up artists were applying too dark of foundation. So, she began mixing her own and applying her own make-up so as to match her skin tone. Her story may be true; or, she could be reluctant to admit that she caved to the pressure to modify her skin tone so that she could be more marketable.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Ok. No one is denying that colorism doesn't exist. It's not just limited to the black community...Indians, East Asians, there are millions of dollars being spent to lighten skin...

That being said, I feel there's a handful of women who seem to want to blame all their dating and life woes on the color of their skin...and I think that's just plain ridiculous.

I know it's not limited to the black communities. I've spoken before on here about my dark skinned Indian friend in college who couldn't get men to date her, they repeatedly rejected her b/c of her very dark skin....if someone wants to take up a case for them, then go ahead. I'm black so that's what I'm talking about.

Like I said: If it's not been a major factor to you, that's your business, but I know my life and what I've been through and seen. I went to a majority white school & tell me why most of the black girls had to go to neighboring school districts to find guys to take them to dances?? when there were plenty of white, spanish and asian boys where we were. But it must've been another issue then right? . I had biracial cousins who never had a problem getting white and/or spanish bf's in school. But I don't care what anyone on here says: men like women with lighter skin tones and the lighter the more attractive you appear to them. skin tone is a factor for many women as to why men consistently pass them over. I seen it, read about it, and experienced it. Again, not saying it's the root of all my issues with men (it's the tip of the iceberg) but it sure as hell isn't a non factor and that's all I'm going to say on the issue.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I know it's not limited to the black communities. I've spoken before on here about my dark skinned Indian friend in college who couldn't get men to date her, they repeatedly rejected her b/c of her very dark skin....if someone wants to take up a case for them, then go ahead. I'm black so that's what I'm talking about.

Like I said: If it's not been a major factor to you, that's your business, but I know my life and what I've been through and seen in it. I went to a majority white school & tell me why most of the black girls had to go to neighboring school districts to find guys to take them to dances -- there were plenty of white, spanish and asian boys where we were. But it must've been another issue then right? . I had biracial cousins who never had a problem getting white and/or spanish bf's in school. But I don't care what anyone on here says: skin tone is a factor for many women as to why men consistently pass them over. I seen, read about it, and experienced it. Again, not saying it's the root of all my issues with men (it's the tip of the iceberg) but it sure as hell isn't a non factor and that's all I'm going to say on the issue.
You know what's so funny is that Gabrielle Union had the same issue when she was in high school. She tells the story about how most of the white boys saw her as just a 'nice girl' and she started to wonder if she was unattractive because they never tried to date her. Yet online, white men are always talking about how gorgeous she is and only if "most black women took care of themselves to look like her" yet when Gabrielle Union was RIGHT in front of their faces they never even gave her a chance. Now that she is a celebrity & has everyone's approval they want her but when she was just another black chick they weren't checking for her

Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post

Like I said: If it's not been a major factor to you, that's your business...
Well I'm black too, so why can't you be open to the fact that your perspective may be colored...? And you're possibly ascribing too much to your skin color?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Well dear I'll give you a small lesson.

I'm guessing be it the factor that your competent enough to use a computer, your an adult no?

If you've lived your entire life in this country and you refuse to acknowledge the history (and connotations) of hate and discrimination against particular groups in this country (not only minorites, but the autistic, gays and the physically challenged)...you my dear have a severe case of denial compounded with delusions of grandeur bathing in heresy and ignorance.

I'm not representative of the experiences of millions of people in this country. I'm an American, just like you albeit not from Jersey (thank god). My experience is that of a man of color, living in a very young nation that's composed of so many different ethnic groups composed of a multitude of experiences. Sometimes those experiences have manifested themselves in misguided hate either passed down through someone else or even my own bias. In general I would rather take an understanding view of myself and the world around me and understand things through love. This might be a little bit too much for you to understand dear, i'm starting to wax on the metaphysical.

This whole thread reminds me of a statement from Flaubert; "Earth has it's boundaries but human stupidity is limitless".

What does this gibberish have to do with the thread?
Since you are a black male,answer the question.

Yes,I AM from Jersey. Civilization if you will.
My grandpa isn't my father like your is.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
One problem I have, being darker is that since there aren't really any darker women "role models" people only have a few people they think you look like: Alek Wek, Fantasia, and that probably it.

Obviously there are way more celebrity choices but they are invisible in mainstream media. (Hello Viola Davis, Gabrielle Union, Jill Marie Jones)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships