Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 05:12 PM

566 posts, read 960,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
And my point midatlantic is that your idea of what "success" is may not be what someone elses idea of "success" is....and why would you think that it should be "easy" for such men to find dates?...I mean do you tell prospective dates that you are very successful and wealthy??, and if you did, maybe you've really just "bought" yourself a date....Your presumptions that a successful guy who marries young is missing out on a lot of fun....are yours....some people might think that a successful man who marries later is the one who missed out.....Some women would be leery of marrying someone who's played around and been a bachelor for so long.....
It should be easy because women want to be with successful men (do you know any women who truly want to date losers?), and quite frankly, there aren't all that many truly successful men out here (maybe 10% of all guys classify as truly successful). And no, one doesn't need to tell prospective dates that they are very sucessful and/or wealthy because dates will usually figure it out during a brief conversation. The question "So, what do you do for a living" is one of the general questions that gets asked when meeting someone for the first time and almost always provides insight into one's socioeconomic level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,329,960 times
midatlantic12....You're right...I think women DO want to be with a successful man, OR a man who's on his way to being successful....I think perhaps yours and my ideas of whats considered "successful" might be different...as for "truly sucessful"...that's open to interpretation as well....truly successful to me would mean, the bills get paid...and the family is happy and thriving....I'm kinda curious now about what you would consider a loser, especially since you believe that "maybe" 90% of men are.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
midatlantic12....You're right...I think women DO want to be with a successful man, OR a man who's on his way to being successful....I think perhaps yours and my ideas of whats considered "successful" might be different...as for "truly sucessful"...that's open to interpretation as well....truly successful to me would mean, the bills get paid...and the family is happy and thriving....I'm kinda curious now about what you would consider a loser, especially since you believe that "maybe" 90% of men are.
Truly successful to me goes way beyond just being able to pay your bills. To classify as a true success in my book, one has to go above and beyond the norm and it isn't determined solely by how much money one makes (although that certainly helps), but can also be determined by one's overall potential/ability to do great things for many people and change their lives in a major way. Basically, those who stand out in a very positive way.

Last edited by midatlantic12; 06-09-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 10:58 AM

30,914 posts, read 37,078,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
You fail to realize that everyone is different and that not everyone gets lonely and bored all the time if they don't have someone around. You also fail to realize that just because one isn't married doesn't mean they don't date.

Marriage provides virtually nothing extra that a guy can't already get other than certain legal entitlements and benefits (which aren't a big deal anyway).
I used to think that way, too. And I'm an introvert. I'm done with this discussion. You'll find out for yourself, most likely the hard way.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I used to think that way, too. And I'm an introvert. I'm done with this discussion. You'll find out for yourself, most likely the hard way.
Well, that most likely explains why you feel so strongly in favor of marriage. If you're an introvert, you probably have a tough time getting women regularly so it makes sense to lock one down early on. I can't think of a single introvert who does well with women.

And btw, the thread is not asking why people marry at all; it's asking why successful guys get married early in life. I fully understand why it may be a good idea to be married when you're 65-70 years old, but not when you're 25-30-35. That should be a time when you're extremely focused on your career while enjoying all of the women available. To me, the positives/upsides of marriage all come much much later in life.

Last edited by midatlantic12; 06-09-2012 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 02:16 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,330,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
Well, that most likely explains why you feel so strongly in favor of marriage. If you're an introvert, you probably have a tough time getting women regularly so it makes sense to lock one down early on. I can't think of a single introvert who does well with women.

And btw, the thread is not asking why people marry at all; it's asking why successful guys get married early in life. I fully understand why it may be a good idea to be married when you're 65-70 years old, but not when you're 25-30-35. That should be a time when you're extremely focused on your career while enjoying all of the women available. To me, the positives/upsides of marriage all come much much later in life.
What is with this emphasis on "careers"? Most people don't even graduate college so they can't have a career. What's wrong with being a plumber, an electrician or a carpenter etc? College is worthless especially when you have to fork out 50 grand and go in debt for the rest of their life for a piece of paper. It's stupid.

A person should be married by 28 or so (at the latest), because it's best to have children before you're 30.

Your thinking that one shouldn't be married at 30 or 35 or whenever isn't the norm. The vast majority of people are or have been married at those ages and most people get married before 30.

Last edited by 90sman; 06-09-2012 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
What is with this emphasis on "careers"? Most people don't even graduate college so they can't have a career. What's wrong with being a plumber, an electrician or a carpenter etc? College is worthless especially when you have to fork out 50 grand and go in debt for the rest of their life for a piece of paper. It's stupid.

A person should be married by 28 or so (at the latest), because it's best to have children before you're 30.

Your thinking that one shouldn't be married at 30 or 35 or whenever isn't the norm. The vast majority of people are or have been married at those ages and most people get married before 30.
You're a southerner with a completely different mentality (an old school, conservative mentality) and you probably live in a totally different type of environment than I do (I live in a very large, predominately liberal city on the east coast). What applies to me doesn't apply to you and vice versa.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:10 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,591,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

So true. The problem is that everybody wants to be rich, they want a job that is prestigious, and they want to sit in a aircon office looking pretty so people flock to white collar jobs and do whatever it takes to get one (i.e, college).

Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM

415 posts, read 617,163 times
If we were talking Salt Lake City here, with all its Mormons...I would agree that people marry early. But alas, I live in OC, and am from Vegas, and my gut reaction to this thread was...men marry early? Really? I've met many, many aging guys who don't want to admit they are aging who have yet to settle down.

If you think men marry early, you have obviously never been to a bar on Newport Beach. You can find men as old as 70 who have never, ever married.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:36 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,591,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
If we were talking Salt Lake City here, with all its Mormons...I would agree that people marry early. But alas, I live in OC, and am from Vegas, and my gut reaction to this thread was...men marry early? Really? I've met many, many aging guys who don't want to admit they are aging who have yet to settle down.

If you think men marry early, you have obviously never been to a bar on Newport Beach. You can find men as old as 70 who have never, ever married.
Ha, you get around like me! I have been to all the places you have said and you're 100% right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships