Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,795,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
When used as a verb, "effect" refers to the cause of a change, or as a synonym for "created" or "made
And what do you know, I used the word as a verb. Keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Stop projecting, LakeShore. Your simpleton brain wants to complicate a simple concept. People value good. I'd say just as much as they value money and for many, more so.

What part of subjective do you not understand? There are people who think Hitler did nothing but good. There are people who think Mother Teresa did nothing but good. Money is not subjective. It is currency.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,257,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
How you used it is incorrect. Stan already addressed the use of the word as a verb and that's not how you used it.

I pass along this link from time to time for special CD'ers. Here you go. lol

Old 06-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
What part of subjective do you not understand? There are people who think Hitler did nothing but good. There are people who think Mother Teresa did nothing but good. Money is not subjective. It is currency.
It makes no difference if a segment believe Hitler did good or not. There is a consensus within the human community, as with most things. No need to wonder. It's why nations and religions have similar laws and moral constructs. People generally get it. If you really don't you may want to look into getting screened for autism.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
How you used it is incorrect. Stan already addressed the use of the word as a verb and that's not how you used it.
Stan did not address the use of the word as a verb at all. Much less as an adj., idiom, or anything else.

Quote:
It makes no difference if a segment believe Hitler did good or not. There is a consensus within the human community, as with most things.
No there isn't.

Quote:
It's why nations and religions have similar laws and moral constructs.
Nations do not have similar laws and most religions have very different moral constructs.

Quote:
If you really don't you may want to look into getting screened for autism.
You have an odd obsession with autism.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:34 PM

30,921 posts, read 37,114,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
Well, that most likely explains why you feel so strongly in favor of marriage. If you're an introvert, you probably have a tough time getting women regularly so it makes sense to lock one down early on. I can't think of a single introvert who does well with women.
Um, first of all I'm gay and I have a boyfriend. When you don't have the ability to legally marry, you start seeing the benefits of it. That's why it really gets my ire up when I hear heteros diss marriage so much. They don't know what the heck they're talking about.

And if you're an introvert, I think your bias is most definitely more in favor of thinking you don't really need someone else to be happy.

But on one point, you are correct. Most introverts probably don't date as much. In general, they go more for quality relationships over quantity.

Quote:
And btw, the thread is not asking why people marry at all; it's asking why successful guys get married early in life.
That may be true, but you and others hijacked the thread into a different direction. (Sorry I don't remember who started it.)

Quote:
I fully understand why it may be a good idea to be married when you're 65-70 years old, but not when you're 25-30-35. That should be a time when you're extremely focused on your career while enjoying all of the women available. To me, the positives/upsides of marriage all come much much later in life.
I don't think you fully understand it. A lot of people are very set in their ways long before they hit 65 or 70. There is sort of a fairly short window of opportunity for most people where they are flexible enough yet mature enough for marriage. I'd say that's 25-30 for most people. You start hitting age 35 and you get set in your ways. And has already been said, at that point the dating pool is much smaller, and yet you've become more inflexible as time goes on, making you less willing to date someone who is divorced, had kids from a previous relationship, etc. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone, but I think it's naive or downright foolish to think "I'm not like everyone else. I'm the exception". Uh-huh . I thought that in my 20s and early 30s, too.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 PM

30,921 posts, read 37,114,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
What's wrong with wanting to be rich?
Nothing's wrong with it per se. But most people are ignorant about what it takes and/or are unwilling to do what it takes.

It turns out the rich tend to get married and stay married, although I don't think too many marry before age 25 these days.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:39 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,576,831 times
Quote:
Dude.

Man up and admit you're wrong. Typo, whatever.

Meanwhile, your credibility is shot to hell.

Perfect candidate for the ignore button. Poser misogynist.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,756,655 times
Apparently the single life is not all many would like to think it is. Maybe some guys realize this way ahead of others for whom it takes longer?

ScienceDaily (May 30, 2012) — Married people may be happier in the long run than those who aren't married, according to new research by Michigan State University scientists...

... In general, similar-aged participants who did not get married showed a gradual decline in happiness as the years passed...

Marriage may make people happier

Quote:
I can sort of understand why average guys get married in their 20s and 30s, but why do so many guys who are or will likely be highly successful (top law school students, med students, Wall Street guys, successful entrepreneurs, etc) marry in their 20s and 30s?

I understand if a guy wants to start a family one day, but wouldn't it be better to finish school, start making some serious money (6 figures), enjoy the bachelor life while making 6 figures for a good 10 years, THEN look to settle down around 40 to a woman who is around the age of 30? I'm just wondering because I know so many guys who worked very hard to put themselves in a great financial position, but got married/engaged prior to making excellent money and pretty much missed out on everything that comes with being a highly successful, single guy. I just don't understand why so many guys do this to themselves.

Can someone please explain this insanity?

Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Stan did not address the use of the word as a verb at all. Much less as an adj., idiom, or anything else.
Yes she did-in post 570. Although, it will be funny and fitting for you to continue on with your usage of the word.

Quote:
No there isn't.
Every post of yours speaks to why you must turn to prostitutes for companionship.

Quote:
Nations do not have similar laws and most religions have very different moral constructs.
Wrong. We all generally understand that stealing, cheating, killing, conspiring, etc is viewed negatively. We also understand that doing good for others (helping via money, time, innovation, labor, etc) is viewed positively. This is true everywhere.

Quote:
You have an odd obsession with autism.
Do you have a diagnosis? Autism is found at significantly higher rates in males. I've had conversations with a few people in the past- people who just seemed off to me. Folk who, like you, thought certain behaviors, ideas, and concepts were up for debate. Often enough these people would share that they had a diagnosis, high functioning, but a diagnosis. So, it's not an obsession, but an attempt to understand why and where folk are coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships