Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I have always seen my suit is the basic lawyer uniform, that lawyers and law student interns wear in court. In a sense I see it as no different then scrubs, or an other business type uniform. I really tend to think you are reading too much into it to think people are more self assured or educated, because they wear suits. I tend to be the exact same person when I am in a suit and when I am lounging. One of my attorney mentors would joke about precisely this. He used to say that if you wear a suit people just assume you know whats going on and have authority even if neither is true.

The fact is I am still the same person whether I am in my suit or in my crappy, but comfy, after work clothes.

Basically my conclusion based on much of this thread is that people put a whole lot of weight on appearances without knowing anything else, which I think is good to know. In fact, I am going to conduct a little experiment now. Some night rather then just getting out of my suit ASAP I am going to tough it out in that uncomfortable monstrosity for a few extra hours and hit up some bars. I really want to put this to the test of whether people will make a whole new set of assumptions about me based on my clothing selection.
Lots of women here will tell you that looks only matter as much as you want them to be.

But wearing a suit will probably increase your appearance a great deal, and it'll probably prove that yeah looks means a whole lot in attraction.

I'll probably get slammed a bit for this post, but that's OK, it needed to be said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,509,467 times
I wear suits a few times. I like them.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
The best post in the thread. I hate wearing a monkey suit. I can't wait to get it off. You can't move... can't lay down, can't work on or do anything really. I saw a thread awhile back about ladies husbands getting a call saying that they were stranded with vehicle problems. He peels over to roLL up his sleeves and save the day! What did he do, put gas in it? Change the airfilter? lmao He's so universal!~ Sheeeeeeet....you can't lift the hood without getting grease or crud on your hands and fingers. If you touch anything you are dirty. That's coming from someone who KNOWS!

Not sure why are you so angry about it. No one supposed to lay down in a suit, or work out, or DO anything physical . I don't expect to see a guy in the garage shop to change tires in suit, or landscaper to mow lawn. A suit is to wear to professional work where people work with their heads not hands. A suit is expected to be worn when someone go out to a nice place like upscale restaurant, wedding, opera, symphony, going out with a LADY somewhere really nice or visit her parents the very first time. Many men own light summer suits that are light in fabric and color. They are comfortable and sharp.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not sure why are you so angry about it. No one supposed to lay down in a suit, or work out, or DO anything physical . I don't expect to see a guy in the garage shop to change tires in suit, or landscaper to mow lawn. A suit is to wear to professional work where people work with their heads not hands. A suit is expected to be worn when someone go out to a nice place like upscale restaurant, wedding, opera, symphony, going out with a LADY somewhere really nice or visit her parents the very first time. Many men own light summer suits that are light in fabric and color. They are comfortable and sharp.
This was in an automotive thread. One detailed about fixing yourself or taking it somewhere. It was bombed by these women with super hero husbands. Oh yeah ladies? Ask him to bring me a lefthand screwdriver. I bet he can't find one!

Hahahaha

Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 AM

Well, it probably made sense in an automotive thread, but here OP just simply ask why men look attractive in suit ...

Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,588 times
And for the record, I don't know anyone who is legit that likes wearing them. Sorry girls..

Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM

I guess all depends who your friends are. I know a bunch ....
And again, it's not even about liking it or not, it's about looking attractive
There are many things people don't like, but do, because it makes them look attractive.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:07 AM

27,349 posts, read 27,402,913 times
Suits can make a guy look good but personally I dont find myself attracted to men in them as much as some may. A baseball cap, a flannel shirt and torn jeans look are more my style, but no matter what a guy wears, its not the clothes that make him, its his personality.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 AM

684 posts, read 825,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
And for the record, I don't know anyone who is legit that likes wearing them. Sorry girls..
I'm not sure about being 'legit', but I can say I prefer wearing a suit during the day.

One cannot simply slouch in a suit. It requires a straight back and a certain bearing. Interestingly, nobody in England bats an eye when I wear one, though in the US I get more than my share of looks.

I also have a guilty secret. I picked up a pair of western-style snakeskin leather boots that have gotten a lot of attention. It changes the dynamic entirely. You don't walk in those. You swagger. They are now my favourite and least comfortable piece of footware.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
I'm not sure about being 'legit', but I can say I prefer wearing a suit during the day.

One cannot simply slouch in a suit. It requires a straight back and a certain bearing. Interestingly, nobody in England bats an eye when I wear one, though in the US I get more than my share of looks.

I also have a guilty secret. I picked up a pair of western-style snakeskin leather boots that have gotten a lot of attention. It changes the dynamic entirely. You don't walk in those. You swagger. They are now my favourite and least comfortable piece of footware.
Thats a good point, but you really dont need a suit nor a pair of cowboy boots to walk with good posture and swagger. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships