Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 PM

496 posts, read 941,423 times

Advertisements

lols
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM

Yea, CSD, I can see that point. Lying about it, though, happened when we were together, of course. It just makes me realize that if he'd lie about something - allegedly innocuous - that happened when we weren't together, he'd sure as hell lie about things he has done while we were together. Another point that I find, errr, humbling, is that this person is a neighbor so it's someone I have to see in passing. Grrrr. I'm still sorting through this big reaction of mine. I can agree, to some extent, that the event in itself is no big deal and obviously, blatantly has nothing to do with me. He does have this tendency to have excellent post-event judgment, though. :|

Anyway, doesn't anyone have a story they can share about a time that their SO finally told the truth about something that they'd been dishonest about for years?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:13 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,836,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
Yea, CSD, I can see that point. Lying about it, though, happened when we were together, of course. It just makes me realize that if he'd lie about something - allegedly innocuous - that happened when we weren't together, he'd sure as hell lie about things he has done while we were together. Another point that I find, errr, humbling, is that this person is a neighbor so it's someone I have to see in passing. Grrrr. I'm still sorting through this big reaction of mine. I can agree, to some extent, that the event in itself is no big deal and obviously, blatantly has nothing to do with me. He does have this tendency to have excellent post-event judgment, though. :|

Anyway, doesn't anyone have a story they can share about a time that their SO finally told the truth about something that they'd been dishonest about for years?
Have you ever lied? Only you know the full details. Just make sure you aren't making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 PM

305 posts, read 553,667 times
Default This the dumbest problem I have heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Have you ever lied? Only you know the full details. Just make sure you aren't making a mountain out of a mole hill.
This the dumbest problem I have heard. He should dump her for being ridiculous. The best thing to do when your SO tells you something he has not told you for years because he is afraid of your reaction, is to look very bored and say "really? that's nice dear. If you want to talk some more, go with me into the kitchen, I need to wash the dishes." And then ask for jewelry, or cash.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
When your SO comes clean about something they've lied to you about for years... what's the core of your response (whether hypothetical or experiential)? Are you (1) glad they finally told you the truth; (2) pi$$ed that they've lied for so long, which causes you to trust them less; (3) a combination of 1 and 2; (4) other.

I'm really looking for your thoughts. This has just happened - something this guy did with someone else before we were together. But I intuitively knew something had happened between him and this person I am disgusted by and I asked him periodically and he lied. And then last night I had a dream about it and told him about it and he finally came clean on it. I'm pretty angry because he lied for so long while it wouldn't have been a very big deal if he'd been honest. I really think he's trying to become a more honest person, but it's still hard to take the "old" lies.

Thoughts? WWYD?
It happened before you were together

He didn't "owe" you the truth.

Why are you creating this drama for yourself?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Haaaaaa! Well, thank you for your candid feedback, Ontheverge.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It happened before you were together

He didn't "owe" you the truth.

Why are you creating this drama for yourself?
Seriously? Truth value is not like diamonds?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,836,810 times
Quote:
Seriously, I mean this with no offense, but how old are you? Choose your battles dear

Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Just because you're with him now do you seriously think that entitles you to access to each and every private thought or experience he had before you??

If he "lied" to you when you asked him about it, I'd venture to say he did so because it was easier to do than to say to you, "it's none of your business".

Just because you wanted to know something does not mean you have the right to that information when it had absolutely nothing to do with you.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 PM

Well, I did post here expecting and hoping not to be "validated" so thank you. And I'm not offended by anyone's thoughts, or I wouldn't have asked.

But, yea, I do think the past makes the person. lovesMountains, you put lied in quotes as if to suggest that the relevance of honesty is relative. That I cannot buy into. I don't want to have this dilemma, though, and it would be easier to dismiss it. I suppose, this issue, though, is in bed with a history of dishonesty during our relationship - not quite so extreme as having sex with someone while cohabitating - but nonetheless the slightest sign of dishonesty continuing on makes me pretty jumpy. I agree I'm having a strong reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships