Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:39 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskaedy View Post
Some girls who are beautiful, don't know that they are beautiful and lack confidence in themselves. Sometimes women need to be complimented to feel good about themselves. Because not all beautiful women get complimented plenty of times. Even if a beautiful women already knew she was beautiful, wouldn't that make her vain and diminish her beauty?
If they don't know they are beautiful they have low self esteem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm confident. It still hurts when someone calls you ugly.

The last time a guy called me beautiful (and gorgeous, for that matter) I said thank you and started a conversation. When he tried to slide his hand up the inside of my leg and I told him it was inappropriate and to stop, he then called me a name and told me I was fat anyway and left.

It's usually fairly easy to tell if someone is being genuine or not with their compliments. I find most men are not genuine, especially if they're telling me I'm gorgeous while staring at my boobs. If I'm not sure if he's being genuine, I will normally err on the not-genuine side.
Not me. They can call me ugly all that want because I know they are jeolous and I know I am handsome.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
For me it would be analogous to being called Handsome or Cute. I can never decern if it's a generic comment or maybe something that Aunt Lucy or mom, or saying I'm warm for you?
Yup, so I assume they are just being "friendly" and say thanks and keep on going.

If you were really interested, I'd hope you'd pick a more clear line.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:26 PM

864 posts, read 1,454,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's condescending, personally. I know what I look like and where I stand physically, it always seems that when compliments are given the guy just wants to butter you up to get you into bed. At least, that's been my experience.
AMEN to that! There's nothing wrong with a compliment here or there, as long as it's SINCERE. But guys who go on and on about a girl's looks completely turn me off. It just shows how shallow they are. Some girls apparently like endless compliments (from what some guys have told me), but I think those types of girls are either extremely narcississtic, or else seriously lacking self-esteem.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Depending on a man's personality type it might be difficult. I normally haven't done this. A few weeks ago I had a nice conversation with a women I didn't know. I did tell her she was very pretty. It took me out of my comfort zone to do it but I'm glad I did. She did seem flattered and I enjoyed gving her that ego/confidence boost. Maybe becuse we were talking/bonding the compliment meant more than if a guy at random just shouted at her that she's beautiful.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Depending on a man's personality type it might be difficult. I normally haven't done this. A few weeks ago I had a nice conversation with a women I didn't know. I did tell her she was very pretty. It took me out of my comfort zone to do it but I'm glad I did. She did seem flattered and I enjoyed gving her that ego/confidence boost. Maybe becuse we were talking/bonding the compliment meant more than if a guy at random just shouted at her that she's beautiful.
Really? So my tactic of shouting at strangers from across the street with a megaphone that they look gorgeous doesn't work?

Well slap me sideways and call me Sally.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yes, I think this is an example of a normal interaction.

Not sure why people criticize and vilify the men who say it and the women who are flattered by it.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
AMEN to that! There's nothing wrong with a compliment here or there, as long as it's SINCERE. But guys who go on and on about a girl's looks completely turn me off. It just shows how shallow they are. Some girls apparently like endless compliments (from what some guys have told me), but I think those types of girls are either extremely narcississtic, or else seriously lacking self-esteem.
The irony is women tend to compliment me and go on and on about my physical appearance despite my trying to redirect or shut it down.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:22 PM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
For me it would be analogous to being called Handsome or Cute. I can never decern if it's a generic comment or maybe something that Aunt Lucy or mom, or saying I'm warm for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup, so I assume they are just being "friendly" and say thanks and keep on going.

If you were really interested, I'd hope you'd pick a more clear line.
More clear than saying "I'm warm for you"?

I guess it could be misconstrued that I have a fever.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 10-17-2012 at 06:01 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
More clear than saying "I'm warm for you"?

I guess it could be misconstrued that I have a fever.
Well is it somewhere loud? I probably thought you said "it's warm in here."

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships