Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:28 PM

41 posts, read 52,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I think to some degree. I think in "today's economy" some men feel inadequate if they are not bringing in the money. As a result of that inadequacy, they might write a girl off right away by saying that she needs a man with lots of money; hence, she is a gold digger. This is more to do with them and not the girl. For all they know, the girl could care less about money. The media also doesn't help. We are constantly bombarded with airheads who are getting paid millions for being well airheads and as a result many people feel "entitled" to a life of luxury. This applies to both sexes. Basically we should be taught more that if you want things bad enough, then you should go out and earn it for yourself. This is all not to say that there aren't many gold-diggers out there. Just not as many as some would lead you to believe. I think on a "human" level women want a man who they are attracted to and can fall in love with just like men do. The percent of women who go after sugar daddies is pretty low in my opinion. Don't confuse all this with a women who just wants a man to pull his own weight. There is nothing wrong with that.
Their is more to this story then you revealed.

The economic situation of the country also determines a man's earning potential. Their is lot of competition in the corporate world in current times; some get lucky in careers and some do not despite of possessing the right qualifications. Also, lot of women work now so obviously men no longer get as much opportunities for earning as they used to some decades ago and many may not be in the position to fulfill the role of being the sole provider of the family.

Gold diggers, I feel, are those women who show hypergamous tendencies. A man's earning fortune may fluctuate through his life; so if his spouse/partner leaves him during the time of turbulence for a more wealthy man; you can do the math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,423,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
I don't have a problem at all with women seeking a man who is financially set. My problem is with women who seek this and offer not much in return. Eg. a free loader. Eg. a princess who uses the man for his money, without bringing much to the relationship herself. Relationships are a two way street and a partnership, not an avenue for a free ride in life.
Some women want equality, but only when it suits them, which isn't right.

Also, women who do this are not much different to prostitutes.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Lots of terms are thrown around loosely in these parts.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,440 times
I think the term golddigger is more of a term used by women against other women than a term that men use. I could be wrong though.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I think the term golddigger is more of a term used by women against other women than a term that men use. I could be wrong though.
Not on this site.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
I don't see why that term is so bad.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Also, women who do this are not much different to prostitutes.
And what does that make the men who choose and indulge the type of women who doesn’t bring much to the relationship. Are men that choose women with no education or career and no substance, who base everything on level of hotness just ignorant to the fact that these women will be trading that hotness for your money and expecting you to financially provide for her? I think not. You can’t be used unless you allow yourself to be.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
A goldigger doesn’t necessarily only go after rich men. She can be one that is only with men who can take care of her expenses and who she can score freebies with, men who she can dig for gold be it a nugget or the gold mine. Those are women who only seek that on a man. It’s normal for women to want to be with a man who has a good economic status, drives a cool car, and so on BUT focuses on other characteristics of a man AS WELL. Don’t think all women can be considered goldiggers for that simple nature, something that is part of being a woman.
The reality is that many men (especially on this forum) have to pay for the company of a woman due to various flaws. To make THEMSELVES feel better they like to say it's about women, the nature of women, but these guys are just genetically john's.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Kind of ironic in that once upon a time most women were denied an education, were not allowed in the workforce (or these were very limited), could never achieve a highly successful life on their own and really had no life (goals, dreams, ambitions) they could fulfill. Their best bet was to marry a wealthy man, bear him sons and be a good wife. And that was what men wanted and that is what was socially acceptable. Even today many men bemoan woman’s’ newfound independence via. success in the educational and financial world and admit looks trump any financial considerations.
This ties into what I said above and it's why many men today will not find contentment. In 2012 it has to be earned, not gifted.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And what does that make the men who choose and indulge the type of women who doesn’t bring much to the relationship. Are men that choose women with no education or career and no substance, who base everything on level of hotness just ignorant to the fact that these women will be trading that hotness for your money and expecting you to financially provide for her? I think not. You can’t be used unless you allow yourself to be.
True. I dated some divorced guys that told me all about how the ex would spend all of their money, and I used to feel sorry for them. That is, until I asked why they got together with these women if they were so horrible, and the answer was "She was hot". Not smart, funny, caring, independent...just hot? That's when my sympathy faded. That, and when they would bring their residual bitterness into our relationship.

Not too long ago, an acquaintance was blathering all over FB about some prospective date wanting to go out to dinner. You would have thought that she asked for a kidney! This guy doesn't have two nickels to rub together, mostly due to his lack of ambition, but I guess he expects to be getting all the sex he can handle from these women.

Really, dinner isn't much when you consider that you can get in return some home-cooked meals, a clean house, half the bills paid, and then some. And if looks/sex is the only thing that she offers and the guy goes along with it? That makes him a trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships