Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 PM

548 posts, read 891,285 times

Advertisements

I'm 25 years old never have lived on my own and I know most 20 something's do live on their own if not their own apartment they have their own house by themselves. If not some who live with friends or a roomate all paying for rent.

I had told my best friend how I wanted my own apartment and my friend tells me "Why would you want your own place if you have it good at home? You have everything you could need for free - if you live out there you gota pay for everything".

I am an only child still living at home with both my parents. But come on at my age my mom had her own place, license, car, and job. I'm 25 and no job except my free magazine writing's, no license or car, and no place of my own.

I also know guys when it comes to dating expect a girl who has everything in order like these things. I got nothing going for me how will a guy like me if I got nothing to offer them? Yea I'm very loving and caring and stuff but ya know what I mean.

What to do?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:45 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,775,936 times
Do something constructuve with your time, study for the written drivers test and get your license. Then...find a job, if you would spend as much time looking for a job as you do looking for a guy, you just might be successful.

Your parents are enabling you, they have done you no favor by keeping you a needy, unproductive child. And you are right, you have nothing to offer a man. As it stands now, you may spend another 30 years living with mommy & daddy, as their little girl. Not a pretty story.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:03 PM

548 posts, read 891,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Do something constructuve with your time, study for the written drivers test and get your license. Then...find a job, if you would spend as much time looking for a job as you do looking for a guy, you just might be successful.

Your parents are enabling you, they have done you no favor by keeping you a needy, unproductive child. And you are right, you have nothing to offer a man. As it stands now, you may spend another 30 years living with mommy & daddy, as their little girl. Not a pretty story.
And whats wrong with living at home with my parents for another 30 years?

Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I'm 25 years old never have lived on my own...
What to do?
Move out. Find some people. Make a life.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
1 in 3 under 30 lives at home. when i was 14 i was working.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 PM

88 posts, read 205,652 times
Or better yet, get a job (ANY JOB) and find some purpose to be productive each day. Get healthy if you're not and hang out with friends (even if you don't want to). Save your money, then move out with the above friends you have recently acquired. And get on with your life, and promise yourself you'll never let your own kids do the same!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,775,936 times
Quote:
Nothing I am sure, a 55 year old who still lives at home, with no job, no skills and no drivers license, mooching off her parents.... sounds like a real plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,790 times
I didn't move outa my folks house until the eve of my 25th birthday. I had a close and loving relationship with my parents and it saved me and them a lot of money during my college days to stay home. Being an introvert, I didn't feel the need or a desire to go to a frat house or dorm and I was happy with just my few close friends at the time and being able to do mostly what I wanted while living at home.

Plus, I was working at my first low end IT job so i wasn't making very much, and my town isnt' the cheapest to live in, so I stuck it through as best I could and my parents understood and liked having free tech support and lawn care lol and I paid for my internet bill, car, insurance ect...

Eventually, the pull and desire to move to my own place with no parents around me became unbearable, so I went and moved when I was ready and finacially able too as I honestly didnt' see the point of being **** poor and eating ramen noodles just to gain my freedom but some peoples living situation with their parents warrants them doing that but for me, I wanted to have decent enough income to live decently on my own

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Quote:
What's wrong with it is that it's pathetic. You would be missing out on becoming an adult, that is, an autonomous person having basic competencies (such as driving) and capable of making your own way. There is a certain pride and satisfaction in taking those steps. Your parents have abdicated their duties by allowing you to continue in your helpless role. And you must sense all that deep down or why else would you have posted?

I am not claiming that living with one's parents is psychologically unhealthy per se. If one has a job (and is thus contributing to the household financially) and has an independent life outside of one's parents, and if all parties are content with the situation, then why not?

Think long-term: In 30 years you will be 55, and the chances are your parents will be either dead or in some form of debility, either mental or physical. You would be in the position of being their caretaker without having the skills to do so. A person who has had an independent life can come to the very difficult and stressful caretaker role with knowledge, skills, and attitudes which enable that person to perform as necessary.

I don't get how you can see yourself being 55 and yet not having really lived and think there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Get a better-paying job and move out. Pretty simple solution here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships