Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:20 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,941,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
No question that its not an ideal situation and he should leave, but if he doesn't want to leave and wants to make it work, his only chance to go overboard on the alpha. Right now, she doesn't respect him. She sees him as a weak male who caters to her every whims and desires. Women absolutely loathe that. They hate easy men, men who give women everything they want. Women like her want boundaries, a man who won't take her ****. Its funny because I've literally heard a few women actually admit that they want a man who won't take their ****, a man who reels them in when they get out of line. I wouldn't have believed until I actually heard straight from the mouth of a few females.

Maybe you wouldn't have believed it, but I most certainly don't believe it.

The OP's best approach is to make sure he's safe and then communicate to her that he's leaving her unless she sees a psychiatrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:21 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,941,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I wouldn't tolerate this for a minute. She may not give up until she can have you arrested for assault, even if you didn't touch her. You are at her mercy in any kind of a fight, the law will be on her side. I have been through this and it can get really ugly. I would tell her she needs to go to counseling with you and if she refuses, I wouldn't say another word, I'd just go file for divorce. That may sound harsh, but she can cause you an untold amount of trouble if she wants to. Walk away from any fight she starts, and keep your mouth shut, she can't argue with herself, but if she does you know she has a problem... My wife and I dated for 6 years before we married, by the time we did get married we knew each other pretty well. We never lived together until after we married.
I think her seeing a psychiatrist would be better than family counseling. She's the one with anger and violence issues. Those need to be treated, not the marriage.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:03 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
You need to have a serious conversation with her about what's happening. Try to point out clear and objective examples of her bad behavior.

Tell her that what she is doing is absolutely unacceptable. If she raises her voice in anger or frustration, simply walk away. Go outside, to the garage, the gym, a friends house, or anyplace you can comfortably stay for a few hours till she cools down.

She may have any number of issues, including hormonal fluctuations that can make life a living hell. Insist that she go to a doctor to discuss what's happening.

Other than that, don't put up with it.

Last edited by ellie; 05-17-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 07:29 PM

706 posts, read 1,205,801 times
Do you want to stay married to her? If so you'll need marriage counseling along with individual counseling for her. If you decide to stay you'll need it as well because living with people like her is impossible. Chances are you will end up leaving anyway, but nothing wrong with trying to work on it however seriously work on it. It's going to take a lot more than just a couple months. This coukd be years of "work." How much can you put up with?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Its funny because I've literally heard a few women actually admit that they want a man who won't take their ****, a man who reels them in when they get out of line. I wouldn't have believed until I actually heard straight from the mouth of a few females.
Why wouldn't you believe that?
I don't like anyone (partner, friend, etc) who just "takes my sh**." How would you respect another grown adult of any kind who just rolled over like a puppy?
Abusing someone like that and being "crazy" are 2 different things.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,530 times
First - I echo everyone who advised you not to get her pregnant. The last thing that you want to do is bring a child, who has no choice in the matter, into this situation.

Second- I know you're going to hate to hear this, but you're young. So you acted in haste and married someone who you might have not known that well. It happens. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. But - the bright side of it is - is that time is on your side. You can still have the marriage and the family - with someone who is willing to walk that path with you in cooperation and mutual respect. And, if you feel guilty about divorcing because of the oft-cited "'til death do you part", remember this - the vows also include words like "love", "cherish", and "honor". Marriage does not give one person free reign to crap all over the other.

You mentioned that you suggested that your wife seek help, and she claims that she doesn't have a problem. Unfortunately, people who abuse - and yes, your wife is one of them - don't want to be helped, because they feel that they gain too much from behaving abusively. I know that some people suggested marriage counseling, but that often turns out to be unproductive because then the abusive person spends their time deflecting and manipulating the counselor into believing that YOU are the source of all of the problems. Better that you seek help for yourself, so that you have the tools to deal with the situation.

And, I would be remiss if I didn't say - if divorce seems inevitable - get your financial house in order. Protect yourself. And take care.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I think her seeing a psychiatrist would be better than family counseling. She's the one with anger and violence issues. Those need to be treated, not the marriage.
I'm not so sure any of us should be coming to that conclusion. We only know one side of the story.

I'm not saying the OP is being untruthful, I'm just saying that a therapist is the one who should/can decide whether there's more to this situation, and which of them (or both) should continue with therapy.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 PM

249 posts, read 312,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoStressedOut View Post
I'm I doing something wrong in my marriage? I don't know what she wants anymore. Was she always this way?? I wouldn't have married her if I knew this.

Or is something causing this in her? Where is that sweet girl I once met?
satan...is always the root cause of all negativity and things that go wrong in this world. There's only ONE who can destroy him,and heal your wife...and that's JESUS...Pray to HIM...your LOVING HIGHER POWER,and your wife's.
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
1Pe 5:7 Casting all your care{anxiety} upon him; for he careth for you.Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
uh oh...
Satan is here to take us all

Old 05-17-2013, 11:56 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
There is an old rule of thumb that goes back hundreds of years...The woman is supposed to be at least 7 years younger than the male. It is only in recent times with the advent of public schooling that people pair up with their peers. You don't want a woman who will attempt to dominate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships