Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM

175 posts, read 275,361 times

Advertisements

As the title suggests. 31, never had a girl friend, still a virgin.

My height (5"4) and looks probably go against me but I wouldn't say I'm completely ugly - say below average. If personality/confidence is the most important trait its maybe fair to say I'm lacking in self confidence/self-esteem but I'm not a nervous bumbling idiot. Everyone who knows me says I'm not shy and fairly outgoing. It's difficult to be super confident when you have a past with no success. I signed up for online dating yesterday - got friends to vet my profile etc.......messaged 9 women so far, 7 haven't replied.....26 have viewed my profile......nothing.

I definitly can't do anything about my height, nor much about my looks if thats the problem so I've always figured its my confidence and personality I need to work on. I'm even seeing a therapist who practises CBT to try and change any negative thinking or limiting beliefs I have. I've read up on trying to be playful/funny/cheeky/flirting etc as well.

By my counting I've asked out/fancied 38 women in my life time......they've all said no. I've only ever successfully initiated a kiss with 3 women ever, the other times its always been the women.

Millions of men meet up/hook up with women every single day - I have a friend whos slept with over 40 women, another whos had about 12 girl friends...but me, 31 and nothing? Why am I so different? I really don't believe I'm that un-desirable.....but I'm beginning to wonder. There are some tings in life people will never do - be a professional sports player, get that job they wanted, have kids......is it also true to say that plenty of people will just live live forever single? Do a google search and you'll find plenty of stuff on men in their 50's & 60's totally single.

Its crazy how uncommon this is to the point its almost laughable. Should I just give up & accept it? Anyone got any ideas or experience with/met anyone similar who's turned this around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:55 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,019 times
Discuss this topic with your therapist.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM

175 posts, read 275,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Discuss this topic with your therapist.
I am.....he's told me the best way to overcome this is to actively approach and engage women. He said we can talk about negative thoughts & limiting beliefs all we like but nothing beats the power of action. From this he said I should then look at how things go in a positive way and that any rejection is not a bad thing and that it should be looked upon as a learning experience.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
there's always a bright side- you dont have 5 kids with four different woman,,,and out begging for food

save your money, go get some lapdances... nothing builds confidence than a pretty, naked woman smiling at you,,,,doesnt matter if you paid for it

Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
If a broke Gary Coleman can get laid, so can you.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoMars View Post
As the title suggests. 31, never had a girl friend, still a virgin.

My height (5"4) and looks probably go against me but I wouldn't say I'm completely ugly - say below average. If personality/confidence is the most important trait its maybe fair to say I'm lacking in self confidence/self-esteem but I'm not a nervous bumbling idiot. Everyone who knows me says I'm not shy and fairly outgoing. It's difficult to be super confident when you have a past with no success. I signed up for online dating yesterday - got friends to vet my profile etc.......messaged 9 women so far, 7 haven't replied.....26 have viewed my profile......nothing.

Its crazy how uncommon this is to the point its almost laughable. Should I just give up & accept it? Anyone got any ideas or experience with/met anyone similar who's turned this around?
5"4 is quite short for a man. Generally girls don't go for guys that are shorter than them. And certainly forget about online dating as they can limit guys by their height.

You have three realistic options
1. Try to coach yourself socially so that you can compensate for your height.
2. Travel to another country where the average height is lower and live there. People tend to be shorter in South America and Asia. And if you have some money, then that will help too. Don't try to move with her back to America, as there are too many looking for visas.
3. Give up, and be a single man.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:07 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Oh no. Not another short-guy thread! Isn't there already one of these currently active? OP, this topic has been beaten to death. Go back through the last few pages of listings, you'll find a few threads.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
5"4 is quite short for a man. Generally girls don't go for guys that are shorter than them. And certainly forget about online dating as they can limit guys by their height.

You have three realistic options
1. Try to coach yourself socially so that you can compensate for your height.
2. Travel to another country where the average height is lower and live there. People tend to be shorter in South America and Asia. And if you have some money, then that will help too. Don't try to move with her back to America, as there are too many looking for visas.
3. Give up, and be a single man.
I think his therapist gave him better advice.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I think his therapist gave him better advice.
Well, we got to be realistic. This guy is 5'4 and 31 and a virgin. A lot of women do discriminate by height and they want sexual experience. It makes it a lot harder. He needs to do something drastic to change his situation.

Of course if he is an emotional wreck, then my advice sucks, but if he is realistic about his situation and willing to do what is required, then I have given the three possible options.

If I was him, I would combine 1 and 2.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh no. Not another short-guy thread! Isn't there already one of these currently active? OP, this topic has been beaten to death. Go back through the last few pages of listings, you'll find a few threads.
This topic is the OP's lack of success finding women, not "another short-guy thread". What's the deal ? Are we going to start saying, "oh, it's another woman with high standards thread ... go read some other threads about women with high standards," "oh, it's another guy wondering if the girl is interested ... go read some other threads about guys wondering if the girl is interested".

This forum would be pretty lousy if there were only a few 2,000 page threads on it. Rather than what it is with many shorter threads that people can get involved in early on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships